Let’s talk crime in America

Satchel

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No, I mean like how in 2020 yall thought it was a red wave but it was actually yall just getting high on fox news' supply. And then because so many of you uncritical idiots were so sure that the election was stolen, yall went at tried to overthrow our democracy.

Shit, one of yall just went and tried to murder Pelosi's husband, and other state senate candidate was assaulted in his backyard (in PA). The common thread is consistently this insane belief that is unsupported by real data, but has intoxicatingly powerful rhetoric if you're not bothered by alternative facts

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The statistics were literally from HPD's own website. I guess that's denial, when you can post an article heavy on anecdotal stories with only a couple of statistics. 

We’ll see who the voters believe, that’s the beauty of this conversation. I just voted and I have to say there were a lot of old people there, I didn’t see many charismatic young men like myself. Could mean something, but probably not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

For the eight millionth time, “Defund the Police” was NOT Democratic messaging.

It was activist group messaging.

And Fox News and Republicans grabbed it with both hands and amplified it and threw it into the culture war bonfire.

And the police unions saw an opportunity to use it for fear mongering and a rallying cry for more money.

And then pundits and the media hopped on board for outrage clickbait.

And THEN centrist Democrats rushed in to denounce a slogan and position from fear and progressive Democrats reflexively took the contrary position so as not to be seen as centrist.

And as it ever was, the whole mess has been boiled down to “DEMOCRATS ARE SO DUMB FOR PUSHING ‘DEFUND THE POLICE’!”.

And Bannon, Ingraham, Hannity, Carlson etc. sat back and laughed about another job well done.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

For the eight millionth time, “Defund the Police” was NOT Democratic messaging.

It was activist group messaging.

And Fox News and Republicans grabbed it with both hands and amplified it and threw it into the culture war bonfire.

And the police unions saw an opportunity to use it for fear mongering and a rallying cry for more money.

And then pundits and the media hopped on board for outrage clickbait.

And THEN centrist Democrats rushed in to denounce a slogan and position from fear and progressive Democrats reflexively took the contrary position so as not to be seen as centrist.

And as it ever was, the whole mess has been boiled down to “DEMOCRATS ARE SO DUMB FOR PUSHING ‘DEFUND THE POLICE’!”.

And Bannon, Ingraham, Hannity, Carlson etc. sat back and laughed about another job well done.

You guys made it pretty damn easy. Thanks I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, that was fucking dumb by the progressives. And if that's the reason they did, it's even dumber than I thought.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Uh, I don't know you in real life.  And I'm certainly farther to the right than most on this thread when it comes to the criminal justice system...also you could be way, way different offline.  But nothing, and I mean absolutely dead-to-rights-zero about your posting history would ever in a million years incline me to describe you as "charismatic."  You strike me, and again this is not a real life judgement, as somebody who could put the skids on a fun time real fucking fast just by walking through a doorway.  You seem like what Ambien takes when Ambien is having trouble falling asleep, and maybe wants to take more of itself to make the pain go away...forever...and ever. 

Brevity is the soul of wit Pelonius.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets just chart out your fucking stance:

Me: Here are statistics that show that smaller rural cities have the highest crime rate in Texas, and Houston's crime rate per HPD statistics showing a decline in everything except kidnapping:
You: There is a huge crime wave. Look at this article with few stats and anecdotal stories
Me: These are literal verifiable statistics
You: Actual facts don't matter, it is only what people believe and look at the Olds voting.

Thank you for illustrating first hand what a piece of shit you are and why this country is fucked. Facts don't matter to you as long as you get your fucking way. And you fucking REVEL in it. You don't care about defending or rebutting your position, you don't care about facts, you only care about getting what you want with no concern for others. I hope there is a hell, because I'll enjoy you burning in it for eternity. 

poe's feeeeeeeeeees matter more than facts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Brevity is the soul of wit Pelonius.

Wasn't trying to be witty.  Was trying to be forgiving in exhaustive prose.  To call yourself smart or insightful or connected, I could let pass.  But you called yourself 'charismatic' when you seem to be the physical manifestation of a conversational abortion.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets just chart out your fucking stance:

Me: Here are statistics that show that smaller rural cities have the highest crime rate in Texas, and Houston's crime rate per HPD statistics showing a decline in everything except kidnapping:
You: There is a huge crime wave. Look at this article with few stats and anecdotal stories
Me: These are literal verifiable statistics
You: Actual facts don't matter, it is only what people believe and look at the Olds voting.

Thank you for illustrating first hand what a piece of shit you are and why this country is fucked. Facts don't matter to you as long as you get your fucking way. And you fucking REVEL in it. You don't care about defending or rebutting your position, you don't care about facts, you only care about getting what you want with no concern for others. I hope there is a hell, because I'll enjoy you burning in it for eternity. 

Are you referring to your Reddit data? It was thoroughly convincing, right next to the thread about video game cheat codes. Get a grip. I’m sorry we’re in a crime wave, but there’s no need to spiral out of control and wish hell on people. I, for one, hope you go to heaven. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Are you referring to your Reddit data? It was thoroughly convincing, right next to the thread about video game cheat codes. Get a grip. I’m sorry we’re in a crime wave, but there’s no need to spiral out of control and wish hell on people. I, for one, hope you go to heaven. 

Do you have any data to support your assertion that we're in a crime wave?

Wait Houston streets are a warzone?

I mean, mine is, but it oftentimes looks like a frat party spilled into the street as we walk through the remnants of seltzer cans on a Saturday morning.

I guess I'm in danger of some mid-20s slut vomiting in the grass next to my house after leaving McIntyres, but I don't think that's showing up in a crime report.

Edited by Js1

My MIL has fully embraced the right wing fever dream that we are living in Mad Max.  She comes to Austin at least once a month and somehow doesn't get murdered, but we get at least one phone call a week asking where we are traveling and to be careful because it's so dangerous.  It's insane to watch these people reject the reality of the world around them that they actually experience for a media narrative that exists only on TV or online.  Broken.  Brains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

My MIL has fully embraced the right wing fever dream that we are living in Mad Max.  She comes to Austin at least once a month and somehow doesn't get murdered, but we get at least one phone call a week asking where we are traveling and to be careful because it's so dangerous.  It's insane to watch these people reject the reality of the world around them that they actually experience for a media narrative that exists only on TV or online.  Broken.  Brains.

Our in-laws must be on the same chatboard.  Wife's parents are lovely but every time they visit, they are visibly disappointed they don't see illegal immigrants just trampling through out backyard.  They do see homeless when we drive through downtown/South Austin, and that shit bugs me too.  But they verbally express their amazement that there's not just active stabbings and dead bodies at major intersections.  They don't understand why our Trader Joe's has food on the shelves and hasn't been recently looted.  I mean, it's a fucking aisle-by-aisle commentary of, "Well, doesn't look like this has been picked over too much.  Looks like all the cars outside have their windows in tact."  And this goes on every few minutes for days on end.  They literally think the creek that runs behind my house has human trafficking from the Rio Grande.  They could not be any nicer and more giving of people, but they are now almost bummed out they don't get to see murdering.  

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Our in-laws must be on the same chatboard.  Wife's parents are lovely but every time they visit, they are visibly disappointed they don't see illegal immigrants just trampling through out backyard.  They do see homeless when we drive through downtown/South Austin, and that shit bugs me too.  But they verbally express their amazement that there's not just active stabbings and dead bodies at major intersections.  They don't understand why our Trader Joe's has food on the shelves and hasn't been recently looted.  I mean, it's a fucking aisle-by-aisle commentary of, "Well, doesn't look like this has been picked over too much.  Looks like all the cars outside have their windows in tact."  And this goes on every few minutes for days on end.  They literally think the creek that runs behind my house has human trafficking from the Rio Grande.  They could not be any nicer and more giving of people, but they are now almost bummed out they don't get to see murdering.  

This is also what I'm gesturing at when I say "red mirage" @Poe It Up. There are vast swaths of """conservatives""" that are completely decoupled from objective reality. All just because they are so keyed up to be susceptible to the fear response and it overpowers their ability to reason critically.

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Listen, I'm going to talk really slow. That isn't Reddit Data. It is HPD Crime Statistics, sourced from their own website, going back a decade plus, which someone COMPILED and posted on Reddit. Including linking the sources. Please tell me you can understand the difference, not that it matters because you willfully ignore the difference. But allow me to use what I'm now going to be calling the Poe Defense on you:

Crime Wave? You mean some link some dipshit racist piece of shit posted on a sports message board? Can't take that seriously. 

The difference between you and me, and most of the folks on this thread, is that I actually opened and read your links and personally realized it was shit. You either didn't open or read it, or you did and you're rock stupid. So you're either rock stupid or a piece of shit. Probably both. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Meanwhile:

For roughly two weeks now, since the FBI executed a court-authorized search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence for documents pilfered from the White House by the former president, Georgia Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has been calling for the dissolution of federal law enforcement. “Defund the FBI!” Greene tweeted on August 8, a sentiment she would echo in multiple follow-up posts, coupled with demands that the Justice Department be dismantled and Merrick Garland—against whom Greene has filed impeachment articles—be removed as attorney general. A few days after her original screed, Greene shared a campaign-style grainy montage of Fox News talking heads and cable news clips, a series of sound bites meant to terrify white conservatives into believing that the FBI is enforcing the law with color-blind vigor. “Joe Biden has weaponized the FBI and DOJ against President Trump and his supporters,” the accompanying text on the post warned. “This isn’t the first time. and it won’t be the last.” The only surefire way to fight to the power, the ad suggests? With a “Defund the FBI” hat or T-shirt, which Greene just so happens to be selling on her fundraising website for $30 a pop

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is also what I'm gesturing at when I say "red mirage" @Poe It Up. There are vast swaths of """conservatives""" that are completely decoupled from objective reality. All just because they are so keyed up to be susceptible to the fear response and it overpowers their ability to reason critically.

The name of the game is listening to voters. Economy and crime are at the top of concerns, so naturally the Dems make it about (checks notes) abortion and democracy. You’re mad at them, not me. 

• Fuck You 3

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, I'm going to talk really slow. That isn't Reddit Data. It is HPD Crime Statistics, sourced from their own website, going back a decade plus, which someone COMPILED and posted on Reddit. Including linking the sources. Please tell me you can understand the difference, not that it matters because you willfully ignore the difference. But allow me to use what I'm now going to be calling the Poe Defense on you:

Crime Wave? You mean some link some dipshit racist piece of shit posted on a sports message board? Can't take that seriously. 

The difference between you and me, and most of the folks on this thread, is that I actually opened and read your links and personally realized it was shit. You either didn't open or read it, or you did and you're rock stupid. So you're either rock stupid or a piece of shit. Probably both. 

Crime is well above pre-pandemic levels, it’s really not that difficult to comprehend. Well, for me at least. I honestly don’t mind the new talking point, though, of downplaying all the crime, as it’s helping Republicans. Name call all you want, I know the anger isn’t with me, it’s with the ass kicking that’s looming. 

• Fuck You 3

^
Fair points.  But it's not actually "Economy."  It's a subset of that, inflation and interest rates.  And I am deeply concerned about both as a supply chain guy and day job in real assets (CRE and O&G).  But "Economy" is doing okay, good in some respects.  And "Crime" is up in some respects, and down in some respects.  Overall, of course, it's a concern.  But it's not Beto or Biden's fault. They don't run my state.  They don't set my laws, they don't issue warrants, nor pass down sentences.  

• Hook 'Em 1

and biden has little to do with inflation or interest rates.  and the republicans definitely don't have a clue either, last republicans to deal with inflation were nixon and ford (12% plus!) and neither of them could do anything about it (price controls and Whip Inflation Now lol).  because inflation in the 70s was due to oil embargoes and failed harvests.  gee, what's going on right now?

republicans have been bad on the economy since ... ike?  and the republican before him let the great depression happen. 

meanwhile voters are being whipped up by a bunch of shrill voices who are not interested in any solutions and definitely won't propose or pass any, at the behest of a foreign billionaire and his chickie nuggie boy toy. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

33 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If my wife wouldn't get pissed off, I would totally play into her fears at this point.  Not like she will ever change her mind anyway.

"Hey Biff, how's it going?"

"Well MIL, I narrowly escaped a car jacking by an illegal immigrant the other day!"

"Really?!?!"

"Yeah!  Luckily I had my gun on me so I was able to shoot him in the face before he could shove fentanyl down my throat and rape my wife who wasn't in the car.  When the cops came, they gave me another gun and an 'atta boy' before sending me off to watch the polls to stop the Dems from voting multiple times."

"Wow, well I always knew it would happen!"

"Yep, guess I need to start watching more Fox News."

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Crime is well above pre-pandemic levels, it’s really not that difficult to comprehend. Well, for me at least. I honestly don’t mind the new talking point, though, of downplaying all the crime, as it’s helping Republicans. Name call all you want, I know the anger isn’t with me, it’s with the ass kicking that’s looming. 

I realize this is a novel concept to you, but I'm actually capable of having two independent thoughts in my head at once, and both of them being true. To wit: I can be angry at the failure of democratic messaging and general weakness and how it will result in the upcoming election as well as be mad at you for being a horrible human being who deserves to rot in hell for willfully choosing to be a selfish person as well as disseminate disinformation. I can also hate you for being really, really dumb. All of that at the same time! It's actually quite easy, really. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

^
Fair points.  But it's not actually "Economy."  It's a subset of that, inflation and interest rates.  And I am deeply concerned about both as a supply chain guy and day job in real assets (CRE and O&G).  But "Economy" is doing okay, good in some respects.  And "Crime" is up in some respects, and down in some respects.  Overall, of course, it's a concern.  But it's not Beto or Biden's fault. They don't run my state.  They don't set my laws, they don't issue warrants, nor pass down sentences.  

Beto wants to end cash bail. Of all the things to say regarding crime, that’s quite possibly the worst. He’s his own worst enemy with the dumb shit he says. 

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize this is a novel concept to you, but I'm actually capable of having two independent thoughts in my head at once, and both of them being true. To wit: I can be angry a failure of democratic messaging and general weakness and how it will result in the upcoming election as well as be made at you for being a horrible human being who deserves to rot in hell for willfully choosing to be a selfish human being as well as disseminate disinformation. I can also hate you for being really, really dumb. All of that at the same time! It's actually quite easy, really. 

I think you’re a dork for getting political views from Reddit, so I guess we’re even. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Beto wants to end cash bail. Of all the things to say regarding crime, that’s quite possibly the worst. He’s his own worst enemy with the dumb shit he says. 

fuck that whole innocent before being proven guilty thing.  who cares if actual data says it's not a problem.  poe wants people locked up.  and democrats are the ones who are a threat to freedom. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I think you’re a dork for getting political views from Reddit, so I guess we’re even. 

Statistics from the HPD website aren't political views, you blithering idiot. They're statistics. The fact you look at statistics as political views is sadly telling. 

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

fuck that whole innocent before being proven guilty thing.  who cares if actual data says it's not a problem.  poe wants people locked up.  and democrats are the ones who are a threat to freedom. 

Texans don’t want more criminals on the streets, news at 11. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

The Constitution is just toilet paper once they regain control. And we know what they’ll do with it 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e6cfc76b60160cc518130866713da4d.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Texans don’t want more criminals on the streets, news at 11. 

and yet they're not willing to do anything about the root causes of crime.   hell, the republicans want to pour gas on that fire. 

Edited by elfenix

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Statistics from the HPD website aren't political views, you blithering idiot. They're statistics. The fact you look at statistics as political views is sadly telling. 

I saw that, right next to the mortal kombat fatality codes. I much prefer recipes from Pinterest, though. 

Edited by immamac
Vacation
  • Fuck You 7

6 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

They’re not electing Beto, that’s something at least. 

no, that's not something at least.  republicans want to make crime worse.  it's their playbook.  make something worse, create a panic about it, yell loudly about how the democrats aren't fixing it (despite us being on reagan's social contract and republicans wielding every lever of power in this state for two decades, and also regardless of measurable steps democrats are taking to fix it), do nothing but suck off more cops and hand money to private prisons, which, again, do not address the root issues of crime that they're busy pouring gasoline on.  rinse, repeat, poe hides in his house in the only part of monty county that isn't a suburb with his feeeeeeeeees

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I saw that, right next to the mortal kombat fatality codes. I much prefer recipes from Pinterest, though. 

Do you think the fact that 50% of your responses are a deflection, because you can't answer it, somehow fool people or make you look clever? It's sadly pathetic. I can't imagine how tragic your home life must be, but then I remember your handle and avatar is a guy who fucked and married his 13 year old first cousin, and all of a sudden all your views in life make a lot more sense. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize this is a novel concept to you, but I'm actually capable of having two independent thoughts in my head at once, and both of them being true. To wit: I can be angry at the failure of democratic messaging and general weakness and how it will result in the upcoming election as well as be mad at you for being a horrible human being who deserves to rot in hell for willfully choosing to be a selfish person as well as disseminate disinformation. I can also hate you for being really, really dumb. All of that at the same time! It's actually quite easy, really. 

stop feeding the troll

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

when i visited my 82 yoa aunt in Tyler before we left Texas for good, she was all in on the 'omg Austin is a crime-ridden hellhole thank GOD you are escaping with your lives!!' narrative. as she talked i was just 😳

i came thisclose to saying 'it's not Austin we're escaping, it's this backwards-ass STATE and it's corrupt leadership and shitty constituency, Austin is literally the only place i could ever stand to live in this dystopia!'

alas...she's 82 and has three sons very, very connected in high level Texas GOP. what's the point. 

i just told her it was too hot.

😒💔

4 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

https://forwardtimes.com/houston-streets-have-become-a-war-zone/amp/

Denying the obvious is one strategy I guess. It’s going over like a fart in church, but to each their own. 

I think you mean red wave. 

That article is actually pretty decent in that it doesn't attribute the crime wave to any one certain thing and certainly not the "democrat" governing Houston or any of the other bills of goods that right wingers are trying to sell.

What it does note is that crime seems to correspond to social unrest and we have had a shit ton of it over the last 3-4 years with Covid and politics and other things.

Also, that article lacks a bit of perspective in that it does not mention the per capita homicide rate in Houston, where it doesn't even crack the top 10. 

And, that same site, datalytics, indicates that Houston homicide is actually trending down by almost 6% this year-to-date.

• Hook 'Em 1