Let’s talk crime in America

Satchel

On 11/2/2022 at 6:59 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:

It's not nonsense when the police themselves say they are put into positions where they have to deal with situations they aren't trained for. It makes sense to move some funding from police to other types of response services to better serve the community. Not every situation requires a gun to resolve. 

Dear sir or madam,

Can you kindly stop looking at issues in a nuanced way? We demand a 3 second soundbite to confirm our already deeply set notions.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Republicans offer no solutions because that’s against conservatism. Conservatism is against change. It’s literally in the definition.

“commitment to traditional values and ideas with opposition to change or innovation”

They want to keep the status quo because the status quo benefits them. They already have all rights and privileges. High crime doesn’t bother them, they’ don’t live in neighborhoods with high crime. They don’t want to fix the crime problem because then they can’t run on that issue. They need to keep getting elected for one reason, to lower taxes to make more money. That’s it. That’s their only goal. 

As a recovering conservative, that's not theoretically true.  Conservatives are for measured change among other things.  I have always been attracted to innovative ideas, but to proceed with caution.

I'll grant you that recent iterations of conservative seem to be against just about any change.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As a recovering conservative, that's not theoretically true.  Conservatives are for measured change among other things.  I have always been attracted to innovative ideas, but to proceed with caution.

I'll grant you that recent iterations of conservative seem to be against just about any change.

Right it’s not about conservatism any more. It’s about nationalism with these dunces. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean...theoretically, conservatives care about family values but for some reason they keep electing rapists, child molesters, lechers, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Brought to you by the group that blows off a million Covid deaths in just about 3 years. 

And who make death threats against the doctor (and his wife and kids) because he tried to inform the public in contradiction to the president’s disinformation campaign. 

2 minutes ago, El Tri said:

"it could have been worse" - Greg Abbott after 19 murdered Uvalde kids

It could’ve been raining. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Republicans offer no solutions because that’s against conservatism. Conservatism is against change. It’s literally in the definition.

“commitment to traditional values and ideas with opposition to change or innovation”

They want to keep the status quo because the status quo benefits them. They already have all rights and privileges. High crime doesn’t bother them, they’ don’t live in neighborhoods with high crime. They don’t want to fix the crime problem because then they can’t run on that issue. They need to keep getting elected for one reason, to lower taxes to make more money. That’s it. That’s their only goal. 

See but "conservativism" in this instance is just the shell for populism and both forward (arguable in Gilded Age) and backward looking populism (Trumpism) want change. They just have different ideals on what changes should be made than we do and calling it conservative makes them feel nice and comfy. The main feature of Trumpism is mistrust of the power structure and experts in all things. That's radically different than traditional conservatism.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The main feature of Trumpism is mistrust of the power structure and experts in all things.

It’s not so much mistrust of experts- it’s refusal to believe anything you don’t want to be true, told by anybody. They are perfectly happy to believe trump and bannon and mypillow because they say what the people want to hear and believe. And random Facebook graphics, if they’re the right message. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s not so much mistrust of experts- it’s refusal to believe anything you don’t want to be true, told by anybody. They are perfectly happy to believe trump and bannon and mypillow because they say what the people want to hear and believe. And random Facebook graphics, if they’re the right message. 

I think we're both right. They think Trump et al. are believable BECAUSE they are outside of what they believe is the power structure that is keeping them down and making their kids gay or whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:31 AM, Born to Run said:
On 11/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, SmokeyTheBear said:
It was also just Fox News and the Right seeing a couple protest signs that they could key up on to scare their viewers. They then repeat it over and over until it becomes THE movement regardless of if that is really what it is. The Right are masters of marketing their fear like no other. 

I mean they turned "woke", which just means aware of injustice, into a pejorative.

It's a tried and true tactic of right wing propaganda. Turn any and everything good into a pejorative. Woke,  social justice,  shit back in the 60s they turned the term "civil rights" into a pejorative. I listened to this podcast the other day on reverse freedom rides and the way they turned the term on its head was something familiar and it struck me that they've been doing this forever.  

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

"What's a few more murders here and there.  Not as bad as the 70's so don't be so sensitive."- Surly Leftists

Also brought to you by the people who think it's humorous that someone bashed the Speaker of the House's husband's head in with a hammer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You missed out. My kids and I have been tripping balls all week and fucking loving life.

It's ok, I bought some gushers and fruit by the foot and injected fentanyl into them for myself. 

19 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think we're both right. They think Trump et al. are believable BECAUSE they are outside of what they believe is the power structure that is keeping them down and making their kids gay or whatever. 

It's trans, not gay.  Try to keep up.

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

This sort of goes to something I was thinking about this morning.  Someone was asking if Dems should be focusing more on crime in their ads. 

No, they fucking shouldn't.  What they SHOULD be saying is "the Rs are fucking lying about this and it's not a thing" because it's not.  The only reason this has become a thing is because the Rs have set the narrative and Dems suck at calling them on their bullshit.

It's the same as anything else the Rs ever do.  They.  Fucking.  Lie.  They make shit up.  They create an alternate reality that dumb people (the majority of the country) buy into and it's fucking infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This sort of goes to something I was thinking about this morning.  Someone was asking if Dems should be focusing more on crime in their ads. 

No, they fucking shouldn't.  What they SHOULD be saying is "the Rs are fucking lying about this and it's not a thing" because it's not.  The only reason this has become a thing is because the Rs have set the narrative and Dems suck at calling them on their bullshit.

It's the same as anything else the Rs ever do.  They.  Fucking.  Lie.  They make shit up.  They create an alternate reality that dumb people (the majority of the country) buy into and it's fucking infuriating.

You can't change the fact that a majority of the people in this country are idiots.  You can call them good people, hard working, whatever but their dumb as a fucking rock.  You are absolutely right about the narrative and scaring the people that the R's do so well.  So now crime is coming to get me.  Weren't the caravans coming to get me or was it the MS-13 gang members coming to get me to make me vote for the R's last cycle.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You can't change the fact that a majority of the people in this country are idiots.  You can call them good people, hard working, whatever but their dumb as a fucking rock.  You are absolutely right about the narrative and scaring the people that the R's do so well.  So now crime is coming to get me.  Weren't the caravans coming to get me or was it the MS-13 gang members coming to get me to make me vote for the R's last cycle.    

Both.  It was caravans of COVID-19 infected MS-13 gang members coming to murder you and rape your wife and then make her get an abortion. 

20 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The Clintons attended Trump's wedding. He attended Epstein parties. Trump bragged to his disciples he knew first-hand how the system worked. He publicly bragged that he donated to politicians for favors. The bigger appeal of Trump to the MAGA marks is simply he's a dick and marks conflate being a selfish dick with honesty and "keeping it real" despite the fact he's a pathological liar. To them, he's a dick who will punish those that decades of Rush and Fox have determined are their enemies- a huge chunk of a country the MAGA marks have spent their whole lives advertising that they love despite you never having asked them.

In MAGAworld, Freedom means never having to make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Everything we think is just based on emotional reactions and what we “feel”.

From sea to shining sea.

That tells half the story.

Using the data from that tweet.NY might have 20% less crime per 100k, but it has 100%+ more population (2x).
Therefore: 18,320 violent crime victims in OK versus 32,760 in NY. 

And if most OK live outside the heat mapped part of OKC and Tulsa that has the worst crime, that makes sense.

Politically for me, both OK and NY have crime problems, so I’m in agreement with you on Red state OK not having room to talk.

Edited by MeerkatBong

2 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

That tells half the story.

Using the data from that tweet.NY might have 20% less crime per 100k, but it has 100%+ more population (2x).
Therefore: 18,320 violent crime victims in OK versus 32,760 in NY. 

And if most OK live outside the heat mapped part of OKC and Tulsa that has the worst crime, that makes sense.

Politically for me, both OK and NY have crime problems, so I’m in agreement with you on Red state OK not having room to talk.

Politically for you, what is an acceptable rate per 100K for a major American city?