Hernia?

Elvis

I was just doing some regular stuff like putting my shoes on, and I felt this pain right at the belt line.  It kind of felt like tiny muscle tearing.  It's been soar for a few days.  Is this the type of thing that turns into a hernia?  Anything I can do about it?

I'm in pretty good shape and my job can be physical most days.  

i had what they call a 'sports hernia' where there is not a full on tear of the stomach muscle wall with a breach of the intestines.  it was more like the tendons that connect the stomach muscles to pelvis (maybe? not a doctor) get torn.  The surgery is the same.  they put a mesh thing that strengthens the area it dissolves over time.

think i got an MRI and one other scan (CAT scan maybe).  this was like 15 years ago, so maybe now they do something different.   who knows if the surgery actually did anything or the recovery/inaction from the surgery allow the area to heal.  bottom line i was ok afterwards.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Anything I can do about it?

seek professional medical help

I got the mesh repair after getting a hernia while backpacking. It was actually the inspiration for me to stop being a fat piece of shit, and has led me to my current svelte body type. 

I remember there being a little bump where the guts would be poking out of the peritoneal cavity where the tear was.  Would squash it back in and it would make an interesting/gross noise.  

oh shit, I was in Miami last week and met a very interesting guy (who happens to have FUCK YOU money).  

Anyway, he had a hernia.  He was aware that he was allergic to a specific suture, so he informed the medical team.   He has the surgery, doesn't really take care of the incision site like he should, and started having redness, swelling, and pain. 

He calls the doc, doc says to come in right away.  

He stops by his house, showers, and re-dresses the wound so the doc won't know that he's neglected it. 

He gets to the Doc, the Doc says take off your clothes, and get on the table.  Doc takes a look, and asks "are you having trouble walking?"

Guy says yes, yes I am.

Doc says "that's because you taped your balls to your leg"

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, hookemATL said:

I remember there being a little bump where the guts would be poking out of the peritoneal cavity where the tear was.  Would squash it back in and it would make an interesting/gross noise.  

Gah damn.  The idea of guts poking through a hole in the abdominal wall is just so cringe to me.  Horrifying.  And getting some poop or other shitty type shit caught in there.  Christ on a cracker.  Scenes of guts spilling in movies (Hannibal, SPR and war movies) could make me hurl if I thought about it very long.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, hookemATL said:

It made a really squirmy squishy noise when I pushed it back in. Horrified my wife thoroughly so that was at least fun. 

I had an incisional hernia above my belly button for at least 5 years.  Push guts back in when they poke through - several times a day.  One morning last December, I couldn't push guts back in as it grew about as big as my fist.  Woke up the wife to take me to the emergency room - mind you, this was the first she knew of my hernia.  She made me get the hernia repair surgery a couple months later.  All good now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, Davis Lane said:

I had an inguinal hernia some 20 years ago.

Felt like I had an extra nut in my sack.

Hurt like a mofo.

Ended up getting it checked out and that's when I found out I had testicular cancer.

Got dam hernia saved my life.

I got one back in 2003.   I was team lifting a big TV ( before flat screens)  up a flight of stairs and I turned to go up the next flight and the next thing I know I'm feeling some pain in my nut sack.  I get home and one side is about the size of a fricken racquet ball.  I go to a urologist I think the next day or so thinking I'll just skip my primary and he diagnosed it right on the spot, referred me to a surgeon, and by the end of the following week I was having surgery with that wire mesh put in and some fluid  (hydrocele) drained from my sac that accumulated.   I think by the time I had surgery that side was almost as big a baseball.   

Man I hate to say it, but yours was a blessing in disguise.  It kind of sounds like the Chris Everett story where she went to get a hysterecotomy due to her sister dying from cancer  and family genetics issue saying she was at high risk and they literally found cancer in the begging stages without the standard testing being done.