We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

interesting how Rice at 5-7 gets a bowl bid but A&M, also 5-7, does not.  Certainly this is due to Rice having better losses. 

Its because they are a whole lot smarter.

Rice had the best APR of any 5-7 team in the country.  No real surprise.  2 and 3 were, though, schools that fired their coaches, UNLV and Auburn.  Had Buffalo lost their makeup game last weekend, UNLV would have gotten a slot.

1 minute ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Poor, poor Doogles. He's just lashing out because UW has been relegated to the JV-league with USC and UCLA's departure.

Meanwhile, have fun being the UCLA of the SEC, doing less with more every season. 

I thought Washington's fanbase was beaten down, but christ your own fans are clamoring how you'll never be Bama or tOSU so be happy with 9 wins!  It's sad to see how far Texas has fallen. 

• Fuck You 17

Just now, Doogles said:

Meanwhile, have fun being the UCLA of the SEC, doing less with more every season. 

I thought Washington's fanbase was beaten down, but christ your own fans are clamoring how you'll never be Bama or tOSU so be happy with 9 wins!  It's sad to see how far Texas has fallen. 

Lulz.  You latch on to one poster's probably-drunken tirade and ascribe it to an entire "fanbase."  At least be honest.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Lulz.  You latch on to one poster's probably-drunken tirade and ascribe it to an entire "fanbase."  At least be honest.

It is what it is, that entire thread reads identical to 2013 UW boards: "The cupboard was bare, he needs more time, we were a few plays away from winning, we should have beat Bama, had Kansas lost we're playing in the ccg, recruiting is good, next year, etc."

It's embarrassing to see a blueblood like this, get ahold of yourselves.

• Fuck You 8

4 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Ha ha!  And some idiot there is telling folks to go to Salt Lick in Driftwood!

In other news:

F3A7EE48-B524-45AE-8E4D-E7AD2A6877A4.jpeg

I mean, in all fairness, most people around here think Helobius is an idiot, too.

But he's our idiot, at least.

Therefore, it's not a matter of guts, its that no one else really believes it, so no one else is going over there to say it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doogles said:

It is what it is, that entire thread reads identical to 2013 UW boards: "The cupboard was bare, he needs more time, we were a few plays away from winning, we should have beat Bama, had Kansas lost we're playing in the ccg, recruiting is good, next year, etc."

It's embarrassing to see a blueblood like this, get ahold of yourselves.

Yeah, the program is on the exact same trajectory as evidenced by the tenor of message board threads. 

When did you have the lobotomy? 

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, in all fairness, most people around here think Helobius is an idiot, too.

Therefore, it's not a matter of guts, its that no one else really believes it, so no one else is going over there to say it.

That board's terrible. They were on the right side of things in the Willingham days but split off one of the other boards later in some sort of shit fight. If it were our version of Surly that'd be great but it's more like CR and texaggy joined forces and lost 95% of their posters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If everyone thinks you’re an idiot, you’re probably the only smart one. Or something like that.

I’m not trolling or trying to be funny about Penix, I truly think he flat out sucks and is overrated. I’ve seen a couple of his games this year and a couple at IU, was very unimpressed. He filled the stat sheet against horrible defenses. He’s just still riding the hype off his famous 2020 pylon dive. Looks like he’s going to play so I look forward to our 45-10 win. No sense in beating a dead horse anymore than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Doogles said:

Has Sark brought a caged Alaskan Malamute to practice yet to get the guys pumped up?  Over/under how many players he pushes around in the tunnel to get them ready to play?

I love the Alamo bowl because we get to see Pacific Northwesterners “smack talk”. So gosh darn cute.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

@flatdawgs is the odd man out here lol. Also, are you coming down for the game? 

Unfortunately I thought we would suck again this year and made other holiday plans, so I'll be trying to stream it through a VPN at 3am in Switzerland. Sucks since for whatever reason we never play the Horns. Would seem to be a great home-and-home series opportunity. Still hoping to come down for a RRS soon though.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Something I did not know.  We've played four times.  A 1974/1975 home-and-home, Horns swept.  The 2001 game I remember vividly watching at the South Austin Filling Station (insert his mom joke here).  And apparently a Huskies win in the 1979 Sun Bowl.  With our dance card quite full for the next decade, not gonna happen.  but would love to make the trek to their stadium one day for a non-conf. game.  

That said, we need the momentum and the younger guy reps for next season which hopefully marks the turning point in our 13-year exodus in the desert.  So we're gonna go ahead and need to beat the ever living shit out of Washington and they're just gonna have to sit back and take it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Something I did not know.  We've played four times.  A 1974/1975 home-and-home, Horns swept.  The 2001 game I remember vividly watching at the South Austin Filling Station (insert his mom joke here).  And apparently a Huskies win in the 1979 Sun Bowl.  With our dance card quite full for the next decade, not gonna happen.  but would love to make the trek to their stadium one day for a non-conf. game.  

That said, we need the momentum and the younger guy reps for next season which hopefully marks the turning point in our 13-year exodus in the desert.  So we're gonna go ahead and need to beat the ever living shit out of Washington and they're just gonna have to sit back and take it.  

The best time to see the Huskies at home is when they play Oregon. Those states HATE each other. 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That said, we need the momentum and the younger guy reps for next season

Outside of the CFP / NY6 games, I don't see how bowl games create a tangible value for a program. If anything they are a financial drain.

You mention extra momentum and reps. Do you really think these bowl practices are going to be of some value considering our next game is on Sept 2, 2023?

4 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Outside of the CFP / NY6 games, I don't see how bowl games create a tangible value for a program. If anything they are a financial drain.

You mention extra momentum and reps. Do you really think these bowl practices are going to be of some value considering our next game is on Sept 2, 2023?

Have you seen how our QB is throwing the ball right now? Kid needs all the practice he can get and especially with the new RBs. 

2 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Unfortunately I thought we would suck again this year and made other holiday plans, so I'll be trying to stream it through a VPN at 3am in Switzerland. Sucks since for whatever reason we never play the Horns. Would seem to be a great home-and-home series opportunity. Still hoping to come down for a RRS soon though.

I would love to take in a game at Husky Stadium. That is a beautiful venue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Absolutely they’re going to be of value. Just like the ones in April will be of value despite being five months from a game. 

22 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Absolutely they’re going to be of value. Just like the ones in April will be of value despite being five months from a game. 

With roster turnover (1-3 - 1/4 of the bowl game roster won't be on the team next year) and a huge break between now and spring practice, I don't see the value, let alone a way to measure or quantify what the perceived gain is.

I wonder if some programs are nerdy enough to track bowl game practices and extrapolate usable data from it to see if there are indeed gains.

Edited by redswingline

9 minutes ago, redswingline said:

With roster turnover (1-3 - 1/4 of the bowl game roster won't be on the team next year) and a huge break between now and spring practice, I don't see the value, let alone a way to measure or quantify what the perceived gain is.

I wonder if some programs are nerdy enough to track bowl game practices and extrapolate usable data from it to see if there are indeed gains.

You don’t see the value in additional reps for 67-80% of the roster. That’s cool. Coaches see the value. 

• Hook 'Em 1