We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

What is the value, specifically? How do you measure it?

"I think it's at the top of the list for the advantages of having it," Flood said last season of bowl practices. "It's akin to having an extra spring. It's not a guarantee of anything. But it is extra practice time and as coaches we want that. 

Ask Kyle Flood. 

• Hook 'Em 3

With roster turnover (1-3 - 1/4 of the bowl game roster won't be on the team next year) and a huge break between now and spring practice, I don't see the value, let alone a way to measure or quantify what the perceived gain is.
I wonder if some programs are nerdy enough to track bowl game practices and extrapolate usable data from it to see if there are indeed gains.

You don’t see the value in two weeks of additional practice and game reps for 2/3 to 3/4 of the roster, including a freshman QB, several freshman OL, RBs that are going to be relied on next year, young DBs, etc?

That’s basically an additional training camp.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

You don’t see the value in two weeks of additional practice and game reps for 2/3 to 3/4 of the roster, including a freshman QB, several freshman OL, RBs that are going to be relied on next year, young DBs, etc?

That’s basically an additional training camp.

This

I don't consider myself a fan, but I've always liked Washington, and if it was my choice, that's where my daughter would go to college.

It’s an absolutely gorgeous campus . Lived in San Juan islands as a kid until I moved to TX in 7th grade. Fantastic school . One of my sons was down to there or the 40 acres for engineering. He did choose the good guys though.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ryskey said:

I'm glad they changed their name to the Washington Huskies.  Huskies > Bulldogs

Huskies can be great dogs and I think its a cool mascot.

Not for mascots, but I prefer Dobermans or Doberman Shepherds myself.  They are awesome breeds. Plus, the short hair breeds do a lot better in the Texas heat

Edited by redswingline
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I wish my wife would move to Washington.

the californians overran seattle and portland 10 years before targeting austin

seattle is also in the shadow of rainier which in my opinion is far more dangerous than any california fault with the exception of the reclaimed sea level land from the presidio all the way down to sfo

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

So you are saying my wife could be +2200 miles away and at risk of an earthquake?

Perfect.

Based on your oblivious and repetitive demand for quantifiable metrics to prove obvious benefits on this thread, you might just try telling her it's okay if she leaves. I would think there's a good chance she'll be gone before you get home. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Don’t have to. He’s on the record as seeing the extra practices as a big benefit. As is probably every other coach who’s spoken on the issue. 

I wonder if any of them have ever said they’d rather not have those practices. Ever. 

Jimbo pretty much said that last year....but, Jimbo.

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

It’s an absolutely gorgeous campus . Lived in San Juan islands as a kid until I moved to TX in 7th grade. Fantastic school . One of my sons was down to there or the 40 acres for engineering. He did choose the good guys though.

Username not checking out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

seattle is also in the shadow of rainier which in my opinion is far more dangerous than any california fault with the exception of the reclaimed sea level land from the presidio all the way down to sfo

Beautiful mountain, climbed it back in ‘77 when I was 17.  Checked out the steam vents on the summit!  
we goina kick some Husky ass!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Pops is a Texas and Washington alum (grad school) so he's frothing at the mouth for this one.  

So is my wife.  I have a couple of friends coming down from Seattle for the game, and I told her that she couldn't sit with us.  She started to get pissed off at me, but apparently decided to go another route.  

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Anyone want to party at my loft in Southtown before walking to the Alamodome?

Hide contents

Well, fuck you. You're not invited. 

I don't know the area, but it sounds quite fetching.  

Edited by YGIFS

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Something I did not know.  We've played four times.  A 1974/1975 home-and-home, Horns swept.  The 2001 game I remember vividly watching at the South Austin Filling Station (insert his mom joke here).  And apparently a Huskies win in the 1979 Sun Bowl.  With our dance card quite full for the next decade, not gonna happen.  but would love to make the trek to their stadium one day for a non-conf. game.  

That said, we need the momentum and the younger guy reps for next season which hopefully marks the turning point in our 13-year exodus in the desert.  So we're gonna go ahead and need to beat the ever living shit out of Washington and they're just gonna have to sit back and take it.  

Pos rep for Filling Station. I miss that place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the californians overran seattle and portland 10 years before targeting austin

Rainier is a threat but the one that is far, far more dangerous is the Cascadia Subduction Zone which could fuck everything up from Northern California to Canada, particularly west of I-5. The geologic record shows 8.7-9.2 earthquakes lasting up to 9 minutes with a major tsunami that has the potential to reach 100 feet or more. The PNW coast will jump/slip 6 feet or more to the west, coastal towns isolated, bridges out, tsunami hitting Puget Sound and bouncing around a few times while running up the Columbia--it's bad news all around and the response will overwhelm this country.

It's a quiet front as pressure just builds and builds with minor deep tremors miles out in the ocean until it moves in a big way. Decent chance only the southern half goes though the whole thing is not at all out of the question. These earthquakes happen every 300-500 years with the last one being in 1700 as documented by the tsunami records in Japan. Speaking of Japan, The CSZ is the same kind of megathrust earthquake they experienced in 2011 but will be across a much greater area. 

Mount Rainier lahar and flows map

image005.jpg

NWS JetStream Max - Cascadia Subduction Zone

image009.gif

image013.gif

Tsunamis | WA - DNR

(Discovery Bay geology shows the past 6 tsunami deposits over the last 2500 years.)

Anyway, Washington's a great school and has a great campus in a cool location, but fuck 'em when they play Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Pos rep for Filling Station. I miss that place. 

first place I had buffalo wings. Been in love ever since 

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

I wonder how well they will travel. If they get 10k that would be surprising.

SA is a GREAT golf destination 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

So is my wife.  I have a couple of friends coming down from Seattle for the game, and I told her that she couldn't sit with us.  She started to get pissed off at me, but apparently decided to go another route.  

They live with my brother outside of Olympia/Lacy area.  He gets more worked up watching Texas screw around than I do.  He's Texas first, then everyone else.  

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

first place I had buffalo wings. Been in love ever since 

SA is a GREAT golf destination 

Kiawah Island, Hilton Head, Scottsdale, and Myrtle Beach are great golf destinations.  Im not so sure about SA, although there are some marvelous courses in town. Although I havent played in years, the one on I-35 just outside of town called The Bandit was always a fun course. 

Man, now y'all got me missing the hell outta that place.  I'm gonna go stand in the WeWork lobby there and demand beer from a fuel pump.  You know...that thing I do on Tuesdays.  

I honestly don't remember the food there at all.  And I ate there all the time when I lived in nearby Travis Heights.  But I could tell you every detail of that back room from memory.  

Anyway, 2001 Holiday Bowl versus Washington-Ivan Williams' finest moments on the field.  

We figure out the Surly pre-game yet?  

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Any word on when practices start up? That should be when we get info on who’s in and who isn’t, right?

Practice fields/bubble were being prepped yesterday when I went by.  So I'm guessing starts up today, though finals begin Thursday so that may muddy shit up.  What's the NCAA allowable number of days/hours on practice for bowls again?  I'm guessing they do some walk-thrus today and tomorrow, break for finals and pick up on full pads this time next week.  

"Week of" bowl shennanigans, press, events, etc. don't begin in San Antonio until Tuesday, 27 December.  I bet we don't head down there as a team until Monday or Tuesday and use the field for practice.  

I guess I'll be the weirdo and see who walks over to the practice fields.  Who am I looking for besides Bijan?

College football bowl picks - Predicting the score of every game (espn.com)

This will be a tough draw for Washington, which helped Utah get to the Pac-12 title game, only to lose a potential Rose Bowl spot when the Utes beat USC. The Huskies now enter a virtual road environment against Texas, which has won four straight bowl games, including two in the Alamo. Will Longhorns star running back Bijan Robinson play or opt out? Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. leads the nation's No. 1 pass offense. Expect a good amount of scoring, but Texas has the edge with its defense and the location.

Prediction: Texas 38, Washington 35

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Man, now y'all got me missing the hell outta that place.  I'm gonna go stand in the WeWork lobby there and demand beer from a fuel pump.  You know...that thing I do on Tuesdays.  

I honestly don't remember the food there at all.  And I ate there all the time when I lived in nearby Travis Heights.  But I could tell you every detail of that back room from memory.  

Anyway, 2001 Holiday Bowl versus Washington-Ivan Williams' finest moments on the field.  

We figure out the Surly pre-game yet?  

Beef and bean nachos, two Tune Ups, watching Saturday Night Live when the cast still had Akroyd, Belushi, Jane "You Ignorant Slut", Bill Murray. The one on Greenville Avenue here in Dallas. Good memories.

Burgers were pretty good too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Kiawah Island, Hilton Head, Scottsdale, and Myrtle Beach are great golf destinations.  Im not so sure about SA, although there are some marvelous courses in town. Although I havent played in years, the one on I-35 just outside of town called The Bandit was always a fun course. 

avoid the bandit, it’s a 5 hour round 

hill country resort is the most nude rates course in sa. 27 holes and always empty