We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

They would ordinarily go to the Rose Bowl, but it has been reported that the Rose is considering selecting Penn State instead because tOSU has been there recently.

Don’t see any way the Rose Bowl will take Penn State over Ohio State.

13 hours ago, ScottS said:

I looked this up just to prove to myself that this was true.  Seems like that somewhere along the way Texas and FSU would have met up in some random bowl game or had a home-and-home 50 years ago or something.  I am always surprised when I find a school like FSU that Texas has never faced.

And we've only played Florida three times with the last game in 1940 and Miami four times with the last being in that disaster known as the Cotton Bowl in 1991.  

I find it remarkable with the state of Florida being a football state like Texas that Texas and the Florida flagship schools haven't played more for non conference during that time span, or even in non BCS/playoff tied bowl games.     

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

They claim it's because they have a big basketball game the same day as that bowl game. Obviously they never read the story of the day of the Big 12 Championship Game against Nebraska in SA then the basketball game against Arizona that night at the Erwin Center. I also attended both but lived a less eventful version of that day. 

In their defense the times and distance make it impossible to attend both in their case. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So Alamo bowl tickets are getting gobbled up.

what are the situations we don’t end up there?

K-State upsets TCU and TCU doesn’t make the playoff?  Or would it still be Texas in that situation?

In which case the only way would be if Alamo Bowl decided they didn’t want Texas for a 3rd time in 4 years and took Tech instead?

Yeah USC gets the Cotton in that scenario. Ohio State would be in and Penn State gets the Rose Bowl. Ohio State was slated for the Cotton against Tulane. So probably Washington in the Alamo since they have 10 wins.

Edited by mdmost

11 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

FYI, the SEC and Missouri and still little bitches...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

LOL ... Misouri trash.

I remember last year we went MTBing in Arkie,  and drove across into Missouri once while we were there. As soon as we crossed the state line, everything was immediately noticeably shittier. Than Arkansas. And that includes the people. It was amazing.

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

hard for me to see it being anyone other than washington in the alamo bowl.  utah and usc will both be in NY6 games and washington beat oregon head to head and finished with a better overall record than oregon by 1 game.

That’s my read too. And we should skull fuck Washington. 

3 hours ago, Balcones said:

So we going Cheez-it now?

Hmmm, TCU'll still get into the CFP and K-State'll get the Sugar. So I'd expect Texas vs. Washington in the Alamo. Unless Sark wants us to get more exposure in Florida by playing in the Cheeze-it?

Edited by ATXhorn17

13 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Hmmm, TCU'll still get into the CFP and K-State'll get the Sugar. So I'd expect Texas vs. Washington in the Alamo. Unless Sark wants us to get more exposure in Florida by playing in the Cheeze-it?

It's not really up to the schools. The Alamo will take us because the Pac 12 options won't really sell tickets. We could refuse like Missouri did with playing Kansas but why would we? It's a virtual home game for us that we can easily recruit to and families of the players can attend. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

I doubt this happens (since they’d be giving up over $2 million) but with Clemson in the Orange, Florida State at #13 will go to the Outback so it looks like #21 Notre Dame may fall to the Cheeze-it.

So…

Alamo Bowl versus Washington 
or
Cheeze-it Bowl versus Notre Dame

Declining the Alamo is not as batshit crazy as it sounds on the first pass.

Taking 64 teams down to one is six games. Even eliminating conference championship games, what’s your proposal for the logistics of that? How many games will the finalists play in a season?

32 of them play 1 game. 16 play 2. 8 play 3. 4 play 4. 2 play 5. Who cares? Kids are pros. Most are out of school for most of this time.

Start the first weekend in December. All these games mean something, so the play is better.

32 of them play 1 game. 16 play 2. 8 play 3. 4 play 4. 2 play 5. Who cares? Kids are pros. Most are out of school for most of this time.

Start the first weekend in December. All these games mean something, so the play is better.

64 play 1.
32 play 2.
16 play 3.
8 play 4.
4 play 5.
2 play 6.

How many regular season games are there in your scenario?

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

64 play 1.
32 play 2.
16 play 3.
8 play 4.
4 play 5.
2 play 6.

How many regular season games are there in your scenario?

There is not one football player or fan who doesn't want something like this.

64 is too many, of course. 16 is probably the reasonable answer.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:27 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Taking 64 teams down to one is six games. Even eliminating conference championship games, what’s your proposal for the logistics of that? How many games will the finalists play in a season?

Maybe we should let the UIL run college football. They do it in 6 classes with 2 divisions every year. 

I can remember reading sometime in the 80s or so, when college teams played 10 games, that the reason for no playoff was kids vacations and tests, etc. and it would be too many games. Now they play 12-15 anyway. It could have been done long ago but the bowls were too powerful. It has never made sense how every division of football known to man has a win and in playoff system except for division one college football. 

Maybe we should let the UIL run college football. They do it in 6 classes with 2 divisions every year. 

I can remember reading sometime in the 80s or so, when college teams played 10 games, that the reason for no playoff was kids vacations and tests, etc. and it would be too many games. Now they play 12-15 anyway. It could have been done long ago but the bowls were too powerful. It has never made sense how every division of football known to man has a win and in playoff system except for division one college football. 

FCS does 24 teams and starts the playoffs at Thanksgiving.

When would a 64 team playoff start? How many regular season games in that scenario?

On 12/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

And we've only played Florida three times with the last game in 1940 and Miami four times with the last being in that disaster known as the Cotton Bowl in 1991.  

I find it remarkable with the state of Florida being a football state like Texas that Texas and the Florida flagship schools haven't played more for non conference during that time span, or even in non BCS/playoff tied bowl games.     

Seems like that would be a thing that the tv networks would do in the first couple weeks of the season.  Like they do in basketball with all of these made-for-tv tournaments and challenges.  I know I would be much more interested in a Texas-FSU or Texas-Miami game in week 1 or 2 over Rice or UTSA or the like.

I got curious, so I did a little research to see which schools in the current power 5 conferences Texas has never played in football.

ACC:  Clemson, FSU, Duke

B1G:  MSU, Illinois

Pac-12 and SEC:  none.  Somewhat surprisingly (to me, at least), Texas has played every current member at some point.

Seems like that would be a thing that the tv networks would do in the first couple weeks of the season.  Like they do in basketball with all of these made-for-tv tournaments and challenges.  I know I would be much more interested in a Texas-FSU or Texas-Miami game in week 1 or 2 over Rice or UTSA or the like.
I got curious, so I did a little research to see which schools in the current power 5 conferences Texas has never played in football.
ACC:  Clemson, FSU, Duke
B1G:  MSU, Illinois
Pac-12 and SEC:  none.  Somewhat surprisingly (to me, at least), Texas has played every current member at some point.

Texas owes Vanderbilt some beatings.
  • Rage+1 1

Because we are better than them. 
I say that with the expectation that everyone plays. Obviously if Bijan, Ro and Keilan all sit out that’s a little different story. 

Well, we’ve been watching two different teams I guess. I’m a die hard longhorn fan but we aren’t better than Washington . We might beat them ( so hard to predict bowl games-sit outs , motivations etc. ) but skull fucking anybody isn’t really in our playbook (OU excluded of course ).

• satyanash changed the title to We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!