We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Alamo Bowl !

That is the second best option after the Sugar Bowl. We have a lot of work to do to get to the Alamo Bowl.

Edit: seriously. The Alamo Bowl now occupies the spot the Cotton Bowl used to in the old Big 12. Surely the meme here should be the Cheezit Bowl or the Texas Bowl. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Edit: seriously. The Alamo Bowl now occupies the spot the Cotton Bowl used to in the old Big 12. Surely the meme here should be the Cheezit Bowl or the Texas Bowl. 

Was that always the case? In 2003 we were lined up for the Fiesta Bowl as the 2nd-place team until blOU was upset by K-State in Arrowhead. blOU went to the Sugar, K-State went to the Fiesta, Okie Lite got the Cotton Bowl bid (despite being behind us in the conference standings) and we fell all the way to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego where we lost a sloppy game to Wazzu.

Edited by satyanash

• 2 weeks later...

Still feels like we're going to wake up feeling the cheesiest. Possible opponents in the Cheez-It Bowl could be Notre Dame (preferred) or North Carolina State. Other option depending on how the Big 12 final weekend shakes out is the Alamo Bowl against UCLA, Utah, or Washington. Also depends on if USC or Oregon wins out and goes to the playoff. 

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Still feels like we're going to wake up feeling the cheesiest. Possible opponents in the Cheez-It Bowl could be Notre Dame (preferred) or North Carolina State. Other option depending on how the Big 12 final weekend shakes out is the Alamo Bowl against UCLA, Utah, or Washington. Also depends on if USC or Oregon wins out and goes to the playoff. 

Nothing against NC State, but the only reason I would be excited about a matchup against them is the fact that Texas is winless all time against NC State.  It just annoys me when I look at Texas' record against other schools and I see the teams that the Horns have never beaten.

Notre Dame, UCLA, or UW would definitely be more exciting opponents.  Utah...eh.  Don't really have an opinion either way on them.

Yeah the Cheez-It has the least appealing opponents after Notre Dame. NC State, Louisville, Pitt, Wake Forest, etc. UNC will get a better bowl. Florida State could be an option and we've never played them. Alamo offers better opponents but if it's Utah again, hard pass. 

Edited by mdmost

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We are 3-4 all time vs ucla. 

one of ten teams we have a losing record to, all time. Would love to settle that score in the alamo bowl

Winsipedia has Texas with a losing record all time to 13 teams (of those that still play football at the D1 level):

UCLA (3-4)

Penn State (2-3)

Vanderbilt (3-8-1)

USC (2-5)

Notre Dame (3-9)

BYU (1-4)

Syracuse (0-2-1)

Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Northwestern, NC State, Air Force, and Minnesota (0-1 against all of these schools)

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas

Edited by ScottS
forgot Air Force

So obviously we gotta beat Baylor to get to 8-4.  I'd love to Kansas to upset KSU and send us to the big XII championship, but i doubt it.  Nobody below us in the standings is gonna jump us for bowl bids, no matter head-to-head or whatever.  We don't deserve it, but our brand carries to much TV and ticket sales weight. 

So three games with outcomes that matter (this all assumes TCU can somehow manage to beat the vaunted Iowa State Cyclones):

We lose to Baylor, doesn't matter what else happens. we're 7-5 and we're going to the Cheez-It Bowl.  Book it.  

We beat Baylor.  KSU beats Kansas as expected and TCU beats KSU as expected.  TCU is in the CFP.  KSU to the Sugar. We're in the Alamo Bowl.

We beat Baylor.  KSU beats Kansas as expected and somehow upsets TCU.  KSU to Sugar.  TCU to Cotton.  We're in the Alamo Bowl.  

We beat Baylor.  Kansas beats KSU and TCU beats us as expected.  We're in the Sugar Bowl even at 8-5 as TCU is off to the CFP.  Weird, I know.

We beat Baylor.  Kansas beats KSU and we beat TCU.  We're in the Sugar Bowl, TCU to Cotton Bowl.  

It's gonna be a weird finish this year (that's what she said).  But really, really strong chance we're playing in San Antonio 5 weeks from now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So obviously we gotta beat Baylor to get to 8-4.  I'd love to Kansas to upset KSU and send us to the big XII championship, but i doubt it.  Nobody below us in the standings is gonna jump us for bowl bids, no matter head-to-head or whatever.  We don't deserve it, but our brand carries to much TV and ticket sales weight. 

So three games with outcomes that matter (this all assumes TCU can somehow manage to beat the vaunted Iowa State Cyclones):

We lose to Baylor, doesn't matter what else happens. we're 7-5 and we're going to the Cheez-It Bowl.  Book it.  

We beat Baylor.  KSU beats Kansas as expected and TCU beats KSU as expected.  TCU is in the CFP.  KSU to the Sugar. We're in the Alamo Bowl.

We beat Baylor.  KSU beats Kansas as expected and somehow upsets TCU.  KSU to Sugar.  TCU to Cotton.  We're in the Alamo Bowl.  

We beat Baylor.  Kansas beats KSU and TCU beats us as expected.  We're in the Sugar Bowl even at 8-5 as TCU is off to the CFP.  Weird, I know.

We beat Baylor.  Kansas beats KSU and we beat TCU.  We're in the Sugar Bowl, TCU to Cotton Bowl.  

It's gonna be a weird finish this year (that's what she said).  But really, really strong chance we're playing in San Antonio 5 weeks from now. 

tenor (1).gif

I'm not getting the meme.  You really don't see that the Alamo Bowl, while probably not the majority possibility for post-season, is at least the plurality chance?  Or you saying we've played there too much recently?  

Hard to  believe was half-designed to get us there during down years, but we didn't play in it until the game was in its 14th year.  And only played once in its first 20 years.  then from just 2012...we've been there 4 times, going on 5.  Losing just once.  

Unless we lose to Baylor, I don't see how anyone jumps over us for a spot in San Antonio.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

great breakdown.   Alamo looks very likely and I'm guessing we get UCLA which would be a high level shootout since they have a mediocre defense, unless Ewers misses passes and the WRs drop everything - and of course Bijan won't be there so let's give J. Brooks the rock!

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

great breakdown.   Alamo looks very likely and I'm guessing we get UCLA which would be a high level shootout since they have a mediocre defense, unless Ewers misses passes and the WRs drop everything - and of course Bijan won't be there so let's give J. Brooks the rock!

Probably would make sense for Bijan to sit out but that makes me sad - he's so good and it's hard to believe we only get 1 more game (maybe 2) with him.

Just to solidify a Top 20 pick, I'd think he'd wanna get a highlight reel against a Pac-12 defense on national TV on the only game in that timeslot in front of an adoring crowd.  But I get it.  His choice.  Hope we get to see him in the AlamoDome.  

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not getting the meme.  You really don't see that the Alamo Bowl, while probably not the majority possibility for post-season, is at least the plurality chance?  Or you saying we've played there too much recently?  

Hard to  believe was half-designed to get us there during down years, but we didn't play in it until the game was in its 14th year.  And only played once in its first 20 years.  then from just 2012...we've been there 4 times, going on 5.  Losing just once.  

Unless we lose to Baylor, I don't see how anyone jumps over us for a spot in San Antonio.  

Just messing with you. We've been to the Alamo bowl 5 times. More than any other team, btw.

It would be nice to go somewhere I can possibly make a real trip out of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Just messing with you. We've been to the Alamo bowl 5 times. More than any other team, btw.

It would be nice to go somewhere I can possibly make a real trip out of it.

Yeah, Orlando is really the only other possibility at this point.  And my kids and my wallet aren't quite mature enough yet to make a week-long trip out of it (Disney, etc.).  I really could still see Kansas upsetting KSU in Manhattan, which means we're in the Sugar Bowl no matter what happens at AT&T Stadium.  That'd be wild.  Might try and make a business trip outta that one.  But I'm pretty much resigned to Alamo Bowl this year and that's fine, that's a step up from where our collective Longhorn brains were just 6.5 days ago.  

Lotta folks I haven't see in San Antonio since Covid, we'd get a big name Pac-12 opponent (maybe not wildly successful this year in terms of rankings, but just a brand like Texas versus Oregon, Washington, or UCLA.   That's some serious fucking TV ratings firepower for sleepy ole' River City.  I'd make that trip for "business purposes."  Probably take the family as well and do the touristy shit with the kids.  I dunno, starting to feel better about it as an option after 3 shit-tastic losses between Tech, OSU, and TCU.  

Plus, it's starting to look more and more like we're gonna be stuck in the Big XII for 2023-24 as well.  Either way, probably (AND HOPEFULLY) our last Alamo Bowl forever.  Maybe we'll remember it.  Meh, probably not. 

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Texas Bowl vs Miss State if we lose to Baylor

Nah, Texas Bowl will get oSu or Kansas. Cheez-It is the long shot now as the Alamo will see the sure thing in ticket sales from us especially if a school that never travels well like UCLA is the Pac team. This is all assuming we beat Baylor. Lose to Baylor, we're definitely feeling the cheesiest as Baylor likely goes to the Alamo.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ScottS said:

Winsipedia has Texas with a losing record all time to 13 teams (of those that still play football at the D1 level):

UCLA (3-4)

Penn State (2-3)

Vanderbilt (3-8-1)

USC (2-5)

Notre Dame (3-9)

BYU (1-4)

Syracuse (0-2-1)

Virginia Tech, South Carolina, Northwestern, NC State, Air Force, and Minnesota (0-1 against all of these schools)

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas

We’ll settle Vandy and South Carolina in the SEC

27 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We’ll settle Vandy and South Carolina in the SEC

Yeah, but it may take half of forever to see Vandy enough to get even against them.  I wish the SEC would hurry up and figure out the pods/divisions/permanent rivals and what the rotation will be for how often Texas will face the other teams.

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Nah, Texas Bowl will get oSu or Kansas. Cheez-It is the long shot now as the Alamo will see the sure thing in ticket sales from us especially if a school that never travels well like UCLA is the Pac team. This is all assuming we beat Baylor. Lose to Baylor, we're definitely feeling the cheesiest as Baylor likely goes to the Alamo.

You are correct, Cheeze It Bowl selects ahead of Texas Bowl. In which case it would be a hilarious matchup with UNC and Mack Brown.

9 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We are 3-4 all time vs ucla. 

one of ten teams we have a losing record to, all time. Would love to settle that score in the alamo bowl

Vanderbilt is another team we have a losing record with. 
Texas is 3-8-1 against the Commodores. 😡

Edited by Armybrat
Too slow to see Scotts beat me to it

The bowls don’t seem to care about how many times a team has been there recently if there’s a clear ticket sales advantage (e.g. Alamo deciding between Texas vs KState, OSU, Baylor). The Holiday Bowl was always fun if we just missed the real deal, and the last few years I’ve sneaky wished if we lost 3+ that we’d make one in a different spot (Camping World or Cheeze-It in Orlando, Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, maybe even Liberty Bowl in Memphis). Instead, we’ve broke off an amazingly boring streak of either no bowl game, Alamo in San Antonio, or Texas Bowl in Houston. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

• satyanash changed the title to We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!