We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!

satyanash

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s a mid level bowl game that nobody will remember a week after it’s over. Just get a 9th win. 

I'm more into watching the games. I like the games. They're fun. I want good ones with good opponents. 

I'm not too concerned with who remembers it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

KSU has a better regular season record, but one of their wins is a FCS team. If that win didn’t count, it would give them the same regular season record as us and we beat them head to head. No idea if that matters in this case, though. 

Other than the repetitive opponent, I don’t get the Alamo Bowl hate. We get a home bowl game that is easy to tailgate. 

Edited by Eastwood
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

KSU has a better regular season record, but one of their wins is a FCS team. If that win didn’t count, it would give them the same regular season record as us and we beat them head to head. No idea if that matters in this case, though. 

Other than the repetitive opponent, I don’t get the Alamo Bowl hate. We get a home bowl game that is easy to tailgate. 

Alamo Bowl tailgating is pretty fun. Or so I've heard. 

I've had tickets to 3 or 4 of our 5 Alamo Bowl appearances and never made it.  Something shitty always happened-family in hospital, last minute work thing we had to finish before year end, etc.  I know more about pre-gaming in Columbus (2 games, bring a hideout weapon, telescopic baton, riot goggles, and a neutral-colored koozie).  And I even briefly lived in San Antonio (about 10 months), and went to several sporting events and concerts there.  

All that to say, I have no fucking idea how the Alamo Bowl works.  Where are the tailgate areas?  Where are the pre-game/post-game places to eat and hang?  Does the LHF setup hospitality areas?  No interest in driving to stadium and parking, but I'm assuming they have a designated rideshare area?  I guess we have 4.5 weeks to discuss.  I'll be in the Alamo basement doing research.     

Interesting note from Jon Wilner, a PAC 12 writer. He said Utah could be less desirable to the Alamo Bowl due to previous trips there and that UCLA would be an option the Alamo could choose. Let’s hope he’s right.

I think USC would still get an at large spot to the detriment of someone like Penn State who I’ve seen going to the Cotton Bowl. Orange takes Alabama and the ACC champ.

Edited by mdmost

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I meant Utah.  Sorry the Pac-12 permutations have my head spinning.  If Utah were to narrowly beat USC, would USC still be attractive enough at 11-2 then to make another NY6 bowl like Fiesta?  I dunno.  

Ah I see. I think with Caleb Williams and the SC name, I think they’d probably go to another NY6 bowl.

Same, but could use some diversity from Utah/Oregon/Oregon State at Alamo Bowl or Arkansas/Mizzou at Texas Bowl. Cheez-It or Liberty would have been fun as a different venue and an ACC or SEC opponent.

The bowls need to rotate alignments each year. Fans want to see different opponents and go different places. Does it really matter if 8 seed Big 12 is replaced by 8 seed SEC or ACC?

I never liked playing football in meaningless games. I don’t like the massive expansion of the bowls. 41? Yikes. I’d rather see a 64 team playoff where 32 bowls would mean something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, mdleast said:

Ugh I just realized this is one of those years where we get no bowl games on New Years Day (as it’s a Sunday). So…playoffs on New Years Eve and Rose Bowl game is on Monday the 2nd. Boo…

Yep pretty bummed about this.  Love watching the Rose Bowl every year, but will be traveling that day coming back home.  

The bowls need to rotate alignments each year. Fans want to see different opponents and go different places. Does it really matter if 8 seed Big 12 is replaced by 8 seed SEC or ACC?

I never liked playing football in meaningless games. I don’t like the massive expansion of the bowls. 41? Yikes. I’d rather see a 64 team playoff where 32 bowls would mean something.
Absolutely. There's only 3 games that mean something after this weekend. The actual playoffs. I have no idea why people are so against an actual legit playoff system. At least the games would matter towards the end result of the season. Every other division does it. High school does it. Every other sport does it.

At a younger age, I did enjoy the bowl season because there was way less and it was cool seeing teams that weren't really on tv. Now, it's easy to see any team on tv. Even the smaller schools.

41 bowls is fucking ridiculous. Only gamblers could enjoy watching those.
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I've had tickets to 3 or 4 of our 5 Alamo Bowl appearances and never made it.  Something shitty always happened-family in hospital, last minute work thing we had to finish before year end, etc.  I know more about pre-gaming in Columbus (2 games, bring a hideout weapon, telescopic baton, riot goggles, and a neutral-colored koozie).  And I even briefly lived in San Antonio (about 10 months), and went to several sporting events and concerts there.  

All that to say, I have no fucking idea how the Alamo Bowl works.  Where are the tailgate areas?  Where are the pre-game/post-game places to eat and hang?  Does the LHF setup hospitality areas?  No interest in driving to stadium and parking, but I'm assuming they have a designated rideshare area?  I guess we have 4.5 weeks to discuss.  I'll be in the Alamo basement doing research.     

I’d like to know the same. I have not attended Alamo Bowl since we Iowa in like 2006. Where’s the tailgating at? 

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. There's only 3 games that mean something after this weekend. The actual playoffs. I have no idea why people are so against an actual legit playoff system. At least the games would matter towards the end result of the season. Every other division does it. High school does it. Every other sport does it.

At a younger age, I did enjoy the bowl season because there was way less and it was cool seeing teams that weren't really on tv. Now, it's easy to see any team on tv. Even the smaller schools.

41 bowls is fucking ridiculous. Only gamblers could enjoy watching those.

Nothing about more college football is "fucking ridiculous".

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Taking 64 teams down to one is six games. Even eliminating conference championship games, what’s your proposal for the logistics of that? How many games will the finalists play in a season?

18 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

While I agree with you and believe this is the best thing for college football, the Pac-12 will not want to relinquish their automatic bid to the Rose Bowl.

Especially now that USC and UCLA are leaving the conference.

One bid to the Sugar Bowl is set. The other team is on its way — unless LSU wins Saturday

TED LEWIS | CONTRIBUTING WRITER

NOV 29, 2022 

Win or lose in Saturday’s Big 12 championship game, Kansas State is headed for its first Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Meanwhile, Alabama, which won't win or lose Saturday, appears to be headed for the Dec. 31 game in the Caesars Superdome for the 17th time, by far the most of any school — unless LSU knocks off Georgia in the Southeastern Conference title game.

That’s the status of things after last week’s games plus the latest College Football Playoff standings, which were revealed Tuesday night. The official announcement will be Sunday.

This year’s Sugar Bowl matches the top non-playoff teams from the Big 12 and SEC, and, if it’s Alabama versus K-State, it would be schools' first meeting on the gridiron.

Kansas State (9-3) can claim the Big 12 title for the first time since 2011 by upsetting third-ranked TCU in the in the Big 12 championship game. But at No. 10 in the CFP, they have no shot at moving into the playoffs.

But while TCU (12-0) might fall out of the top four with a loss and could still be ranked ahead of K-State, the Wildcats would come to the Sugar Bowl as the Big 12 champion.

That’s also the case for No. 14 LSU, should the Tigers win Saturday and become the first SEC champion not in the playoffs while No. 1 Georgia is considered in, even with a defeat.

Alabama (10-2) is sixth in the CFP rankings, one spot behind Ohio State and one ahead Tennessee, which beat the Crimson Tide 52-49 and also has the same record.

Unless the committee re-evaluates teams not playing this week for the final rankings, that would mean Alabama would need No. 4 USC to lose to Utah in the Pac-12 championship game, plus TCU to be knocked out of the top four with a loss to K-State, to make the playoffs for the eighth time in the nine-year history of the CFP.

An Alabama playoff berth would put Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl for the first time since 1991. Otherwise, the Vols will be in either the Orange Bowl or Cotton Bowl.

CFP committee chairman Boo Corrigan sidestepped a question about Alabama and Ohio State potentially swapping places in the standings — even though neither team is playing this weekend.

He did call the committee’s evaluation of Alabama and Tennessee “very much debated among the committee,” adding that while head-to-head is one of the criteria, the overriding factor was Alabama’s body of work. Both of the Crimson Tide's losses came on the last play of the game. Tennessee lost 63-38 to South Carolina, and quarterback Hendon Hooker suffered a season-ending injury.

Sugar Bowl chief executive officer Jeff Hundley said he likes the way the game is shaping up, adding: “No matter how things shake out this weekend, we think we’ll have a good matchup that will be a win for New Orleans.”

12 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

I’d like to know the same. I have not attended Alamo Bowl since we Iowa in like 2006. Where’s the tailgating at? 

There are a shit ton of restaurants and bars really close to the Alamo Bowl that aren’t the riverwalk. There at least 10 places on Alamo. Within a short drive to the Alamodome. The Pearl is close. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/article/alamodome-tailgating-17400613.php

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been to the Pearl and I've been to the Alamodome, but never in one evening.  That seems like a bit of a jaunt, 30-40 minutes each way.  Is an easy Uber in terms of places to get dropped off or one of those things where you spend more time finding your uber at Pearl, sitting at stoplights on the 37 access road, and then navigating the Alamodome chaos?  THat would be a fun place to eat and meet before the game though, never had a bad meal at any of those restaurants.  

30 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've been to the Pearl and I've been to the Alamodome, but never in one evening.  That seems like a bit of a jaunt, 30-40 minutes each way.  Is an easy Uber in terms of places to get dropped off or one of those things where you spend more time finding your uber at Pearl, sitting at stoplights on the 37 access road, and then navigating the Alamodome chaos?  THat would be a fun place to eat and meet before the game though, never had a bad meal at any of those restaurants.  

They are 2.4 miles apart.

SO about a 40 minute walk/jaunt as I posted, no?  That's not awful, but it's not good either.  So my question is 2.5 miles.  That's 10 minutes in downtown San Antonio by uber on a normal Thursday evening.  What do you think it'll take on a night like the Alamo Bowl with lotsa people leaving Pearl and lots chaos around the stadium?  I know that area fairly well, but I have no frame of reference for what's it like on a big night at the Alamodome.  

Ya I thought you meant 30-40 minute drive. It can get crazy with traffic for big events but you can stay on all city streets. It may make it a 15 minute drive. It depends on how close to game time you plan to go over. The games at 8 pm So if the weather is good you could do a  little day drinking and grab an early meal and head over to tailgate.  

A closer area and only a mile walk is South Alamo. Friendly Spot Ice House, Dough, Bar Loretta, Rosario’s and many other options.

• Like 1

I can't be the only one that really really doesnt want to lose to Utah, shitass meaningless exhibition game or otherwise...especially with a QB that should still be a Longhorn.

*dons neg helmet* Is there any way we can bring the turtle back, but just for bowl prep?

*ducks*

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas vs. UCLA in the Alamo Bowl

Has anyone asked Ol' Stewart how Texas is eligible for a bowl game given their 4-8 record? At least I'm assuming that's the record because that's what he predicted.

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Plus I wouldn’t have to watch Rising shred our secondary 

So much bitchassedness around here about Utah. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, mdmost said:

Yes to Florida State. We’ve never played them.

I looked this up just to prove to myself that this was true.  Seems like that somewhere along the way Texas and FSU would have met up in some random bowl game or had a home-and-home 50 years ago or something.  I am always surprised when I find a school like FSU that Texas has never faced.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Goddamn are some of yall really complaining about walking? Its less than half a mile from the riverwalk to the alamodome

yall must be some old, broke, out of shape fatasses

hell, its over half a mile from Scholz to DKR. Jfc pussies

You ain't gonna whip out your paycheck on us are you Nightengale?

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, Texzilla58 said:

11 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Taking 64 teams down to one is six games. Even eliminating conference championship games, what’s your proposal for the logistics of that? How many games will the finalists play in a season?

Here is an idea. How about something like the 4-team pre-season basketball tournament? Three bowls get together and invite four teams for two semifinals and one final. This is a net loss of two teams since three bowls would involve six teams. The semifinal bowls should be reasonably close to the teams playing there so that fans don't have to fly twice. There will be many mini-winners each playing two mini-playoff games.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AeroHorn said:

Here is an idea. How about something like the 4-team pre-season basketball tournament? Three bowls get together and invite four teams for two semifinals and one final. This is a net loss of two teams since three bowls would involve six teams. The semifinal bowls should be reasonably close to the teams playing there so that fans don't have to fly twice. There will be many mini-winners each playing two mini-playoff games.

I’d rather do something like trash the conference championship games and start an eight team playoff with the first four games hosted by the higher seed, then roll the four winners into the bowls the way they are now. I’m sure there are other possibly cool options. 

There are probably always going to be travel issues, but that’s almost certainly the price of including more teams and having more games. 

I liked something about every system we have been under. I did have a fondness for the way it was when I was kid, beat OU and totally RUIN their season in one shot. It was glorious. Now that playoffs are here that has faded, so why not skip a scheduled season and go triple or quad elimination tournament. Maybe you could make some modifications with two or three games before the start for seeding so you would play a minimum number of games. I think it would be kind of interesting not knowing who you would be playing (or if) next week or the week after. Would probably require doing an alternating home and away schedule, but not anything that couldn't be worked out.

• satyanash changed the title to We're Going (Alamo) Bowling!!!