2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

35 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Some of you need to separate your emotions from the decision and realize you’re advocating resigning a guy who will be 39 and was worse than replacement level this year. He was a black hole on offense at a bat first position. 

It’s awesome he rebounded in the postseason. Thanks for the memories and let it go.

While I agree that the front office needs to immediately shift to wise decisions, from fans it's okay to want him back right now in the afterglow of the title. Especially since he's been a great Astro and is still tweeting awesome shit.

But yes, Yuli has been a great Astro and will always be remembered fondly, but he really needs to be allowed to walk. I wouldn't even want to sign him to a cheap contract if he was willing because I worry that he would be so bad next year he'd have to be demoted and that would be way worse than letting him walk.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

While I agree that the front office needs to immediately shift to wise decisions, from fans it's okay to want him back right now in the afterglow of the title. Especially since he's been a great Astros and is still tweeting awesome shit.

But yes, Yuli has been a great Astros and will always be remembered fondly, but he really needs to be allowed to walk. I wouldn't even want to sign him to a cheap contract if he was willing because I worry that he would be so bad next year he'd have to be demoted and that would be way worse than letting him walk.

Fair point 

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So I guess this means we sign (trade for) Gallo. Let's just go full death star.

Yes this is a joke, but I'm not sure there's anything else left after Judge signs with the Giants that will make a certain poster's head explode more than Gallo coming to Houston, getting coached, then becoming a consistently productive hitter.

That’s really not a terrible idea. Gallo totally let the shift get in his head and affect his approach. Buy low, no shift, coach him up, possible DH answer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

What's the opinion on a Wander style deal for Pena but less money of course?

I haven’t done all my research yet (and I will before I post my extension thread) but my guess would be somewhere along the lines of 10/100M as far as an offer that would make sense. What people just have to understand and tend to forget in FA is that age is so so so so so important. wander was 20 or 21 when he signed that contract. Tatis was something like 22 when he signed his. Peña literally just finished his age 25 season.

That has so many negatives for him in trying to get huge money. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

What's the opinion on a Wander style deal for Pena but less money of course?

Peña will not get Wanderized. He’s not right off the boat and his family aren’t poor (his dad made a couple of mil as a player). No pressure to cash this early. 

Edited by TonyTexas

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I haven’t done all my research yet (and I will before I post my extension thread) but my guess would be somewhere along the lines of 10/100M as far as an offer that would make sense. What people just have to understand and tend to forget in FA is that age is so so so so so important. wander was 20 or 21 when he signed that contract. Tatis was something like 22 when he signed his. Peña literally just finished his age 25 season.

That has so many negatives for him in trying to get huge money. 

Good point, similar to Springer

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Machete’s under contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/martin-maldonado-8699/

Are they wrong?

4 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Good point, similar to Springer

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/martin-maldonado-8699/

Are they wrong?

Yes

The two-year contract extension Maldonado signed during the 2021 season contained a $4.5 million club option for the 2023 season that would vest if Maldonado played 90 games in 2022. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Martin-Maldonado-2023-option-kicks-in-17388095.php

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Some of you need to separate your emotions from the decision and realize you’re advocating resigning a guy who will be 39 and was worse than replacement level this year. He was a black hole on offense at a bat first position. 

It’s awesome he rebounded in the postseason. Thanks for the memories and let it go.

and he's got a knee injury that was serious enough that he was replaced on the WS roster. If he tore a ligament, he misses all of spring training and the 1st month of the season before he can even resume baseball activities. He's more likely done; he just doesn't realize it yet. Here's what I would do, hire him as a hitting instructor with the idea that he takes over as the Astros hitting coach in a few years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s really not a terrible idea. Gallo totally let the shift get in his head and affect his approach. Buy low, no shift, coach him up, possible DH answer. 

Gallo is a GG winning OF. If we sign him on the cheap, then it would be to play LF/CF. I like the idea, because he's always had bounce back years, still gets on base, and when's he hot can carry an offense for a month. Plus, Gallo would be hitting 7th or 8th in the lineup and give the Astros a little more balance.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

keep Yuli obviously.   Keep Vasquez, Montrero, and Brantley (we'll see how he returns). 

Dump Diaz, Will Smith, Castro and Mancini (sorry). 

Trade Maton (to the NL bottom dweller) for a hitter.

Hensley to minors mostly. 

Next year playoffs - make JV the 3rd or 4th starter.  Valdez and Javier should be 1-2.

This is the correct approach.  All other strategies are wrong.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the Yankees model of a home run or nothing does not work 

Agreed, signing Gallo is very inconsistent with the organizational player development from the lowest levels to the major league team. The Astros preach contact, pitch selection, and not striking out. Gallo is a dangerous power hitter and a very good defender but those strikeouts are a very big issue. 

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed, signing Gallo is very inconsistent with the organizational player development from the lowest levels to the major league team. The Astros preach contact, pitch selection, and not striking out. Gallo is a dangerous power hitter and a very good defender but those strikeouts are a very big issue. 

I’ve gotten the sense that he doesn’t give a shit, because he’s never improved at the plate. He’s just a free swinger that says ‘fuck it’. But who knows. He’ll hit 30 hr for someone next season. Hope they over pay for him. I don’t think he’s interested in giving a discount 

not a locker room fit 

Edited by tx 3 putt

10 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Let's get him. Even with his declining contact skills, still gets on base and hits with power. Also, is an excellent defensive 1B. Him batting 6th in this lineup would be crazy.

Altuve, Pena, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Rizzo, OF, McCormick, Maldonado

My perfect off-season would be to sign Rizzo, Verlander, Vazquez, Montero, and a lefty like Chafin who just opted out.

Then go into spring with

C- Maldonado, Vazquez, Lee

1B - Rizzo, Y. Diaz

2B - Altuve, Hensley

SS- Pena, Dubon

3B - Bregman, Hensley

OF - Alvarez, Tucker, McCormick, Leon, Julks

SP - Verlander, Valdez, Javier, McCullers, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown

RP - Pressly, Montero, Abreu, Neris, Stanek, Chafin, Martinez, Bielak

when you hear about the clubhouse and the type of guys you want in this clubhouse, well here's an example ...

Fg6DGkcWIAUwkkd?format=jpg&name=medium

Fg6DGkzXEAEjU3Y?format=jpg&name=medium

resign brantley, if he can heal up 100%. he isn't a power hitter but his career avgs are there. his clubhouse presence and leadership is second to none. I do not want to see him sign with a good team and take them over the top

.298    .356    .795

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

this is correct. this is a latin heavy clubhouse. abreus is a much better fit.

Because Mancini had a really tough time being welcomed into it. Abreu is 2 years younger than Gurriel and his ability to hit the FB has declined the last 2 years. Abreu had a season very similar to 2021 Yuli. He's also slow and a below average defender.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because Mancini had a really tough time being welcomed into it. Abreu is 2 years younger than Gurriel and his ability to hit the FB has declined the last 2 years. Abreu had a season very similar to 2021 Yuli. He's also slow and a below average defender.

mancini lit up, right !

Fire Elmo GIF

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

when you hear about the clubhouse and the type of guys you want in this clubhouse, well here's an example ...

resign brantley, if he can heal up 100%. he isn't a power hitter but his career avgs are there. his clubhouse presence and leadership is second to none. I do not want to see him sign with a good team and take them over the top

.298    .356    .795

Not sure how he fit in so well in such a Latin heavy clubhouse.

At any rate, if a guy's contributions at this point in his career are more valuable off the field than on the field, then it sounds like he should be in a role off the field.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Peña will not get Wanderized. He’s not right off the boat and his family aren’t poor (his dad made a couple of mil as a player). No pressure to cash this early. 

He's also going to be in the decline phase by the time he hits free agency.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

I don't understand? Are you saying that only Latin American players with quickly declining skillsets are welcome in the Astros clubhouse?

the lights were too bright for mancini, imo 

this team and lockerroom is about winning titles. it was too much for him 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- now comes the part of the season that I find even more fascinating than the regular season and 162 game grind. So much of baseball is just math now that putting together a team in the off-season sort of guarantees you will get through the regular season way more often than not, and from there it’s sort of a crap shoot As to what’s going to happen in the playoffs that doesn’t develop necessarily in a normal or logical way. Can baseball surprise every day?  Yes, and that’s one of the coolest things about it. 
Does baseball in the regular season matter?  Not all that much, which is also a great thing about it. It’s there with you every day. Like a friend. You know you can count on it for 6 straight months. It’s so relentless that I find myself bummed out every time the Astros have an off day bc it’s like something in my life isn’t right. Then, it comes back the next day and it’s like- cool, I can take a deep breath and life is back to normal. But the off-season, that’s what sets the entire Rube Goldberg machine up so that’s why it fascinated me so. 
And this off-season there are so so so many decisions. 
I’m going to break this into parts so that instead of 1 tl/dr you will get 3 or 4 TL/DR. Thanks for indulging me.  Hopefully a couple people will like this. For the rest of you please feel free to roll your eyes and scroll on through. 
Thanks

what you typed here so encapsulates my relationship with the team.  so well put wulaw.  i need to meet some of you surlyites at a game next year

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Curious to see what the plan is in CF. Do we hope that Meyers can be a productive regular again and share time with Chas?

I don't see any readily available upgrades in CF over McCormick. If he played fulltime, his season this year projects to about 2.5 WAR, which would make him a top 8 or so CF. And he demonstrated some real improvements in his approach, striking out less and walking more. He's really underrated, in my opinion.

I'd let Meyers compete with him if healthy, and obviously McCormick is even more ideally suited for a role as a platoon against LHP and/or a 4th outfielder. But I think generally it will be easier to upgrade LF/DH (someone to fill the Brantley role and let Alvarez get out of the field more) than to find someone better than McCormick.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fg6DGkcWIAUwkkd?format=jpg&name=medium

Fg6DGkzXEAEjU3Y?format=jpg&name=medium

.298    .356    .795

I’m not looking them up but I thought he had pretty big platoon splits-maybe he can be one half of a platoon (I actually wish teams did this more as a way to stash and keep fresh a more competent pinch hitter).  

THE HOUSTON ASTROS 2022 OPENING DAY ROSTER / 2023 status 

PITCHERS (15)

RHP Bryan Abreu - 2023

RHP Pedro Báez - gone, Martinez

RHP  Ronel Blanco - gone, Abreu

RHP Luis Garcia - 2023

RHP Cristian Javier - 2023

RHP Phil Maton - gone, replace him with younger, cheaper arm

RHP Rafael Montero - gone, Whitley or another rookie

RHP Hector Neris - 2023

RHP Jake Odorizzi - gone, Hunter Brown

RHP Ryan Pressly - 2023

RHP Ryne Stanek - ???? do you bring him back on maybe a 2 year deal ?

LHP Blake Taylor - 2023 

RHP José Urquidy - 2023

LHP Framber Valdez - 2023 

RHP Justin Verlander - ???? might know this week

CATCHERS (2)

Jason Castro - gone, vazquez will get a bigger contract somewhere else. lee or diaz

Martín Maldonado - 2023

INFIELDERS (6)

Jose Altuve - 2023

Alex Bregman - 2023

Aledmys Díaz - gone, henssley ?

Niko Goodrum - gone, dubon or another rookie. need a key swing man here, swiss army knife player here. eat up innings

Yuli Gurriel - ??? abreu or rizzo or bring him back on smaller contract  ?

Jeremy Peña - 2023 

OUTFIELDERS (5)

Yordan Alvarez - 2023

Michael Brantley - ???? does he give us a discount ? 

Chas McCormick - 2023

Jose Siri - gone, jake or julks / leon / rookie ?

Kyle Tucker - 2023