2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

6 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

This is a brain dead contract to give, given our players and his age. I love JV but he's gone if he needs that much. We have too much youth to commit that payday to him

This is assuming that another team will give him that much. I'm holding hope that the Astros have the strongest offer... or at least in the ballpark and maybe its close enough for JV to want to remain on a contending team. Also, the Cali team's have to contend with the state income tax. One can dream. 

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He owes the insurance company more likely than not. 

Eh whatever, point being he got a fuckton of money to pitch for the Astros and didn't pitch for two years. He can get what the market will pay him but as an Astros fan first and a fan of JV second, what exactly motivates a guy who already has a 9-figure net worth: money, championships, or a run at 300 wins?  By any objective standard the Houston Astros offer the best opportunity for those latter two motivations, and the money they are likely offering is probably north of 30mm/yr. 

JV is a hoss and I'd love to have him run it back with us, but not at that ridiculous price and imo he can fuck right off if it all just comes down to money. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Eh whatever, point being he got a fuckton of money to pitch for the Astros and didn't pitch for two years. He can get what the market will pay him but as an Astros fan first and a fan of JV second, what exactly motivates a guy who already has a 9-figure net worth: money, championships, or a run at 300 wins?  By any objective standard the Houston Astros offer the best opportunity for those latter two motivations, and the money they are likely offering is probably north of 30mm/yr. 

JV is a hoss and I'd love to have him run it back with us, but not at that ridiculous price and imo he can fuck right off if it all just comes down to money. 

I was just teasing a little bit yeah, agreed more or less. I don’t have a problem with him leaving and it won’t bother me if he does, but I won’t lose sleep over it or pine for him to come back. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was just teasing a little bit yeah, agreed more or less. I don’t have a problem with him leaving and it won’t bother me if he does, but I won’t lose sleep over it or pine for him to come back. 

Shit, throw that money at Chris Bassitt if JV declines. I think he'd be a good fit in the Astros rotation.

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

Also, the Cali team's have to contend with the state income tax. One can dream. 

This should be a major advantage for all Texas teams, but it is rarely mentioned as a tie breaker and even rarer that an athlete will take less on the contract even if they end up keeping more. Probably just the competitiveness of “my contract was bigger than yours!”

If LA offers 2 for $80, say “we got your 2 for $70 right here! Same take home pay!”

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This should be a major advantage for all Texas teams, but it is rarely mentioned as a tie breaker and even rarer that an athlete will take less on the contract even if they end up keeping more. Probably just the competitiveness of “my contract was bigger than yours!”

there’s an obvious reason for this and it seems like you already know what it is. 

34 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If LA offers 2 for $80, say “we got your 2 for $70 right here! Same take home pay!”

Meh, they can claim their residence anywhere and/or set themselves up as an llc ?

Also, they’re paying taxes in every state and city they play in. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Meh, they can claim their residence anywhere and/or set themselves up as an llc ?

Also, they’re paying taxes in every state and city they play in. 

81 home games plus the roadies in other tax free places (Rangers, Seattle, Tampa) is a lot more tax advantage than the other way around playing in California or NY. I don’t think the “claim residence elsewhere” strategy flies with state IRS depts. 

Verlander had a great great run here. 2 WS titles and 2 more appearances. He was a great clubhouse guy and very easy to cheer for. I thank him for the everything he contributed here. 

I wish him all the best the next three years, if he’s with another team, I hope for zero WS titles for him. I don’t think he’ll care either way, he’s playing for $$ not the rings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2