2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like that signing for them more than the Seager signing last year. Any year DeGrom is healthy he will likely be worth that. They are a big market team and make plenty of money from their tv deal, way more than us. 
i mean- he will probably pitch 300 innings over the course of that deal and fuck them big time, but it’s not a bad contract or number if healthy. 

ZiPS projects him at about +14 WAR over the 5 years. So, over $13mm/win. That seems steep. I get that in the expanded playoff era, 3 wins/year May be more valuable than they used to be. It’ll probably be a reasonably Ok deal for the rangers. Wouldn’t be my course of action if I were them, but I’m not.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

ZiPS projects him at about +14 WAR over the 5 years. So, over $13mm/win. That seems steep. I get that in the expanded playoff era, 3 wins/year May be more valuable than they used to be. It’ll probably be a reasonably Ok deal for the rangers. Wouldn’t be my course of action if I were them, but I’m not.

What if they get the 14 by getting 8 one year and 5 another and those both end up playoff years. Then you’d probably do it if you are them, right?

it’s not rolling the dice that he will be worth his contract for me if I was them, it’s rolling the dice that 1 or 2 years out of 5 he will be good enough to get them to the playoffs. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

He has pitched 38 games in three years. But sure, go ahead and expect him to get more reliable in his 35-40 year old seasons. These clowns have $700 million tied up in 3 guys. This will be an epic fail. The Rangers are the third place team in the AL West going forward.

Lotta money spent to finish 19 games back of us

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What if they get the 14 by getting 8 one year and 5 another and those both end up playoff years. Then you’d probably do it if you are them, right?

it’s not rolling the dice that he will be worth his contract for me if I was them, it’s rolling the dice that 1 or 2 years out of 5 he will be good enough to get them to the playoffs. 

Yeah I think this is right, and a reasonable way of looking at it. I still wouldn’t do it though. I wouldn’t give a mid-30s pitcher, who has started 26 games in 2 years, that many years and that much money, in hopes in one of those 5 years that he has a single CY caliber season. 

Y’all would hate me, I’d run a team like the Rays do. Paying deGrom $40mm for valueless years at the end of this deal would drive me nuts, particularly if he doesn’t figure to be the difference in winning a pennant or not in the years he’s most likely to be best (‘23 and ‘24).

like I said, I doubt this will be a disaster for them; just wouldn’t be my approach; I’d rather invest that in player development, front office talent, players who give more bang for the buck, etc.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah I think this is right, and a reasonable way of looking at it. I still wouldn’t do it though. I wouldn’t give a mid-30s pitcher, who has started 26 games in 2 years, that many years and that much money, in hopes in one of those 5 years that he has a single CY caliber season. 

Y’all would hate me, I’d run a team like the Rays do. Paying deGrom $40mm for valueless years at the end of this deal would drive me nuts, particularly if he doesn’t figure to be the difference in winning a pennant or not in the years he’s most likely to be best (‘23 and ‘24).

like I said, I doubt this will be a disaster for them; just wouldn’t be my approach; I’d rather invest that in player development, front office talent, etc.

That all sounds boring. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

My vote is sign Benintendi and call it an offseason. But I can understand them exploring Contreras as a long-term investment once Maldy’s contract expires next year. 

But can someone tell me who the fuck Rylan Bannon is and why he’s on the 40?

It could just be depth for triple a. Also this minor league reporter has a positive outlook.

Edited by rvm96

Let me get this straight...

Last offseason, the Rangers splashed around and forked over serious cash to two big-time free agents, then they lost 94 games anyway.  

So, the next move is to give 5 years and almost $200 million to a 34-year-old ace coming off two injury-plagued seasons in a row?

Is their owner in some sort of Brewster's Millions pickle where he's got to give away a billion dollars in 18 months or he loses his inheritance?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Last offseason, the Rangers splashed around and forked over serious cash to two big-time free agents, then they lost 94 games anyway.  

So, the next move is to give 5 years and almost $200 million to a 34-year-old ace coming off two injury-plagued seasons in a row?

Is their owner in some sort of Brewster's Millions pickle where he's got to give away a billion dollars in 18 months or he loses his inheritance?

Fairly Oddparents Burn GIF

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

They also spent another $56M on Jon Gray. They also have Martin Perez coming back on the QO, and have to pray that he doesn't revert back to the shitty pitcher he has been his entire career. Even with DeGrom, who wasn't that great when healthy this season, their starting rotation is 4th best in the division, let alone the American League.

• Haha 1

Well, rumor is Yuli for 7M. That seems like a horrible use of money to me (kinda like the Montero deal I bitched about) but if we sign Comtreras and Conforto or something like that wtf do I care how Crane wants to spend his money. 
note as the national fake news would say- “this is not reporting” it’s a rumor from another site. Not signed but that’s our offer and he’s coming to a decision soon allegedly. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well, rumor is Yuli for 7M. That seems like a horrible use of money to me (kinda like the Montero deal I bitched about) but if we sign Comtreras and Conforto or something like that wtf do I care how Crane wants to spend his money. 
note as the national fake news would say- “this is not reporting” it’s a rumor from another site. Not signed but that’s our offer and he’s coming to a decision soon allegedly. 

I don’t care about the money, because I don’t think that’s enough to keep them from adding anyone else they want (especially if Crane is serious about going over the tax threshold if needed-I assume his deal is only 1 year).

The bigger problem is it’s a horrible use of a roster spot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

He has pitched 38 games in three years. But sure, go ahead and expect him to get more reliable in his 35-40 year old seasons. These clowns have $700 million tied up in 3 guys. This will be an epic fail. The Rangers are the third place team in the AL West going forward.

I’ll give DeGrom a full pass for starting 12 games in 2020 when the regular season was only 60 games. That’s as much as you can ask of a SP. But 100% agree it’s a risk to give someone that money when they could only pitch 26 games in the last 2 seasons.

my guess is that DeGrom pitches about 20 per season and is definitely better than average when he pitches. But if you’re not getting deep into the playoffs with these recent signings, it’s all a waste. My guess is that in 2025 he is pitching well in July but the Rangers suck. The Yankees or Red Sox trade for him for a playoff run.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t care about the money, because I don’t think that’s enough to keep them from adding anyone else they want (especially if Crane is serious about going over the tax threshold if needed-I assume his deal is only 1 year).

The bigger problem is it’s a horrible use of a roster spot. 

That too. But, if they sign Contreras at least, or hopefully Contreras and Conforto (gag I bet they sign Brantley along with Yuli for a combined 17 million instead of just signing Conforto) you or I could take up the last roster spot and it wouldn’t matter. 

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

To me, it’s more a horrible use of a roster spot than money. Yuli at age 39 isn’t a utility guy. He’s a 1B only.

I get that the guy is popular and you’d rather have him around than not. But he’s not Bagwell/Biggio status where you keep him on the roster as long as he wants to be (Altuve is that guy, we’ll have that discussion in a few years). 

If he’s takes the Diaz spot, how much did Diaz  contribute last season ? I’m better with a one year yuli deal than a bigger multi year deal for an avg player. This is a very weak free agent market 

we’ll see what happens. Judge and verlander need to sign, so the dominos well start falling 

13 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Don't want Yuli back, but maybe he is ok as a twice a week player.  Small sample size in the playoffs, obviously.

no shift will also benefit him

Im just not sold on another longer term big contract for what’s out there. I’d rather have that money for the trade deadline and extend Tucker 

54 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If he’s takes the Diaz spot, how much did Diaz  contribute last season ? I’m better with a one year yuli deal than a bigger multi year deal for an avg player. This is a very weak free agent market 

we’ll see what happens. Judge and verlander need to sign, so the dominos well start falling 

We aren’t in on any average players in free agency so, yeah not sure where that straw man is  coming from. 

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

no shift will also benefit him

Im just not sold on another longer term big contract for what’s out there. I’d rather have that money for the trade deadline and extend Tucker 

Tucker isn’t extending. Wasting $7M on Yuli is literally trade deadline money. 
If we get a couple of the bats we are looking for there’s literally not a hole on the roster to fill at the deadline. It’s a 110-120 win team in contention for greatest regular season of all time team and well situated for the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Gurriel would probably be solid taking over Diaz’s role outside of playing SS.  Diaz played in 92 games last year: 28 in LF, 22 2B, 18 SS, 10 at 3B, 7 at DH, 6 at 1B, and 1 in RF.  So if Gurriel is willing to sign a cheap 1 year deal with the expectation of playing 60-80 games, he can be a good value.

Define cheap. 7M for below average defense and probably below average offense for 60-80 games is not value. Maybe he rebounds to league average or slightly above, with the bat but at 39 he ain’t playing a good 2B, 3B or LF. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

To me, it’s more a horrible use of a roster spot than money. Yuli at age 39 isn’t a utility guy. He’s a 1B only.

I get that the guy is popular and you’d rather have him around than not. But he’s not Bagwell/Biggio status where you keep him on the roster as long as he wants to be (Altuve is that guy, we’ll have that discussion in a few years). 

utility 1B

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

What am I missing - it seems like Yuli would used in a utility role, where he figures to be a liability at every position except 1B (where we just paid $60 million for a new guy) and his offense fell off a cliff, and he’s 39. Why is this someone we want?

Because sentimentality is a thing in most human beings. We shouldn’t want him back. At any price. But especially at 7M. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Gurriel would probably be solid taking over Diaz’s role outside of playing SS.  Diaz played in 92 games last year: 28 in LF, 22 2B, 18 SS, 10 at 3B, 7 at DH, 6 at 1B, and 1 in RF.  So if Gurriel is willing to sign a cheap 1 year deal with the expectation of playing 60-80 games, he can be a good value.

No he wouldn't. Gurriel would be a disaster anywhere on the field. He was one of the worst defensive 1B in baseball in addition to being the worst offensive 1B. It's just ridiculous to pay him another contract.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2