2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Cheaper than Reynolds. Given the Astros history of developing arms, our minor league pitchers have to be attractive. 

I don’t know that he would be. He has an additional year of team control, is a better defender than Reynolds, and has the added bonus of being your backup catcher if you want. Reynolds bat is better, but Varsho’s is still above average.

For what it’s worth, baseball trade values rates him as more valuable than Reynolds.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Thoughts on the dback of’s ? Might he cheap gets.

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Varsho would be a great addition, but I doubt he’d be cheap.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Cheaper than Reynolds. Given the Astros history of developing arms, our minor league pitchers have to be attractive. 

6 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Varsho>Reynolds especially if the Astros sign Contreras with ideas of him spending half the time at DH. 

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t know that he would be. He has an additional year of team control, is a better defender than Reynolds, and has the added bonus of being your backup catcher if you want. Reynolds bat is better, but Varsho’s is still above average.

For what it’s worth, baseball trade values rates him as more valuable than Reynolds.

Get it fucking done. Would be perfect and I think whoever they add for that OF signing will be a lefty regardless. 

• Drool 1

18 minutes ago, runthebone said:

On another site, someone posted carlosbaerga09 (?really him) saying JV is 2/86.8.

Good luck to him, thanks for the franchise turnaround.

This would fit with what I was told JV wanted - more per year than Scherzer ($43.333 vs $43.4).  I figured this would be the top of what was what Crane was willing to do, and not give him a third year. I guess we will see. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That would be great because we would never hear a word about trash cans from Dodgers fans again.

Those fuckers are so stupid it wouldn’t matter. They could sign Carlos and JV and the Mets could sign Yuli and trade for Bregman and Yordan and Tucker would still be getting booed and called cheaters because people are morons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Astros go the trade route, I’m wondering if Stanek would figure into the picture. Doubtful he will ever be better statistically thus value potentially at a premium. He is a free agent after this year and the 7-9 seems to be Montero, Abreu, Pressly now. Martinez is waiting for a spot if he isn’t traded also. Maybe one of the 6 starters moves to pen if we use 5 man rotation. Reliever market seems to have a premium. I haven’t seen it hinted anywhere but just something that occurred to me. Without a “GM” this week will be interesting. Usually a week for creating roster space or trading blocked guys, etc. Let the swap meet begin!

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The thing about relievers is that they forget how to get guys out overnight.  The chances of all 4 of them being as good as they were last year is not great.  I would almost guarantee one of them will be subpar next year.

Which is again why giving a guy with one good season in his career 8 figures for the next 3 years was probably not a great move.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The thing about relievers is that they forget how to get guys out overnight.  The chances of all 4 of them being as good as they were last year is not great.  I would almost guarantee one of them will be subpar next year.

Exactly. That’s why I would look to move Stanek if not going to sign him again or if he has moved down the pecking order. I mean I’d love to run it back with all of them but if we have to give something to get something, he might be one guy to consider. 
I actually said the same thing about Yuli before last year that the smart move, strictly on paper, would have been to see what his value was coming off a batting title and gold glove. At his age he had nowhere to but down. And there were a couple of good first basemen available last year. Of course Yuli was basically untradeable from PR standpoint and baseball people I’m sure thought the same about age but you never know what someone will offer. During the Patriots evil empire days, or the Walsh 49ers days, they were very good at trading guys a year early rather than a year late. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He's insurance though.  Montero is just as likely to revert to his career norm.  Or Abreu could forget how to throw strikes gain.  Or Pressly will lose a few more mph on his fastball or lose his feel for his slider.  You don't know which one will fall off a cliff next year.  They can always move him at the trade deadline if the rest of the pen is humming along.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If Astros go the trade route, I’m wondering if Stanek would figure into the picture. Doubtful he will ever be better statistically thus value potentially at a premium. He is a free agent after this year and the 7-9 seems to be Montero, Abreu, Pressly now. Martinez is waiting for a spot if he isn’t traded also. Maybe one of the 6 starters moves to pen if we use 5 man rotation. Reliever market seems to have a premium. I haven’t seen it hinted anywhere but just something that occurred to me. Without a “GM” this week will be interesting. Usually a week for creating roster space or trading blocked guys, etc. Let the swap meet begin!

You left out Neris in your 7-9.  He makes 9M and isn’t as good as Stanek. I get yelled at every time I call to trade him. Our fans will only settle for a lockdown bullpen that can handle the 4th-9th innings, plus 6 above average starters, plus redundancies in moth places. 
that’s how you get Maton making 3M, Martinez not able to get in a game closer than 8 runs (with an era under 2), Stanek pitching 1.2 innings in the playoffs with his 1.12 era, yet people calling to bring back Yuli for 7M to play backup first base on Sundays at MMP. It’s odd. 
We have way more bullpen bullpen pitching than we need. It should be repurposed into offense. If Crane decides instead he’d just do all the offense anyway and go into the luxury tax even better. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Mitch Hedberg said:

Neris is also a free agent after next year I believe.

I thought we signed him for 3 but yeah you are right- he signed for 2/17. No sense trading him I guess as this years payroll seems pretty well set and a pretty healthy number and it will actually help take money off next years payroll if that needs to happen.