2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

4 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

2/78 no state tax equivalent, give or take few thousand. For the Astros, still not needed or necessary. I think Verlander may have contributed some mental toughness in the dugout but I think Bregs and McCullers and other guys can be even bigger leaders. I hope we see them in the WS.

They are taxed on where the game is played so while yes Astro and Ranger players benefit with no state income its only for their home games 9 and vs each other), away games are taxed at that states rate,

- nitpicking 

My first day of retirement I was at this game. My son got us tickets. JV struck out 13 Yankees, pitched a complete game, and we won 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth on Correa’s walk off.  It was the best baseball game I’ve ever seen in person.  Now, we’ll find out if Verlander can summon his inner Tom Brady.

• Hook 'Em 3

That injury he had at the end of the year bouncing off the mound or whatever he did just proved how fragile a 40 year old pitcher can be. Holding breath every time he sprinted to cover first after that. I just can’t fault anyone for letting him go at even $35 much less $43. Wish we would have had the two years he missed but it was a historic run. Let’s do it again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Smax said:

They are taxed on where the game is played so while yes Astro and Ranger players benefit with no state income its only for their home games 9 and vs each other), away games are taxed at that states rate,

- nitpicking 

it's weird how only about 5 people seem to know this. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Pretty, pretty, pretty good trade

It was a great trade but also an acknowledgment, perhaps, that the industry perception our minor league system at the time was over-rating the prospect quality.  Perez has one good year in the minors and Cameron’s claim to fame was pedigree plus peaking at 15-16.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

not seeing the issue here. 

No issue with me as long as those lock down arms and redundancies don't create gaping holes the size of south Austin's moms vagina in our lineup at LF, 1B and Catcher.  

With Click gone looks like we are going to do both whereas he clearly prioritized only the bullpen arms and then decided to shut it down and not spend another mans money when told to do so- which is really fucking weird.  

Jim Crane fucks based upon this offseason so far and what he's got his fingers into today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

2/78 no state tax equivalent, give or take few thousand. For the Astros, still not needed or necessary. I think Verlander may have contributed some mental toughness in the dugout but I think Bregs and McCullers and other guys can be even bigger leaders. I hope we see them in the WS.

agreed completely.  I was petrified of the Mets with Scherzer and Degrom in a best 4 out of 7. I'm way less concerned with a Scherzer a year older and JV.  I'd welcome the fuck out of them in the WS.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Funny thing is it didn't hurt Detroit at all. Got them out of paying that money and probably helped them get better draft picks.  They weren't doing anything with him. Obviously the opportunity cost lost on not getting better players out of the deal, but eh, they were baaaaaad

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Is JV the best pitcher in franchise history? The counting stats will favor Oswalt, Dieker, and Nolan, but I think there's a strong argument that, even with the relatively short tenure, JV is the best.  

Niekro too

Edited by UTexasFight

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Is JV the best pitcher in franchise history? The counting stats will favor Oswalt, Dieker, and Nolan, but I think there's a strong argument that, even with the relatively short tenure, JV is the best.  

yes, 4 World Series appearances and two rings. Should be 3 or 4 rings, but JV performance issues cost us 

25 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

i would say something snarky like, "lol why does anyone even take our calls anymore" which is still true and appropriate to say here.

that said, some notable acquisitions that didn't cost us very much (pressly, verlander, cole, montero) were all trading for guys who were not playing at max potential.  we knew what we could do with those guys, and brought them in and did it. 

verlander's entire astros career (pro-rated) was better than the season he won the cy young and mvp.  we helped turn cole into a $35mm a year dude (so long spider-tack).  we took a guy with a high spin rate and turned him into one of the premier closers in baseball.  montero seemed like a throw-in and now anchors one of the best back-of-the-bullpen situations in the game.

we haven't been able to find the same magic with position players, but so far, we haven't needed to.

and i won't even mention the yordan trade.  that's karmic justice for the fiers/gomez/hader fiasco.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Smax said:

- nitpicking 

Right. But between Houston, Texas, Seattle and Tampa Bay he played roughly 100+ games in tax free states with Houston. I think the Marlins are the only team in the National league without state tax. And Cali with 3 teams is at 13% and DC at 10% are even higher than NY 8.8% rate. I just generally used the NY figure for conversation purposes. Shits and giggles. But figuring real numbers out is way more than I want to know or need to know lol

Good luck to JV and thank you for all your contributions to the Astros but I am thrilled he is in the NL. I wanted him on the Dodgers first and foremost but the Mets were my #2 preferred JV destination. Once the Rangers way overpaid for deGrom this felt inevitable.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

this may be the cruelest thing I've seen posted on Surly Horns. I LAUGHED the entire time I was forwarding it to my brother.

I plan on nuking all social media before getting engaged. I look forward to being in here with 50 posts and talking shit 

• Haha 1

Good luck to JV and thank you for all your contributions to the Astros but I am thrilled he is in the NL. I wanted him on the Dodgers first and foremost but the Mets were my #2 preferred JV destination. Once the Rangers way overpaid for deGrom this felt inevitable.
He can watch games in October with Cole since they're close now.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I think I would prefer Vazquez over Contreras at catcher (assuming we bring in another good outfield bat) 

Screenshot_2022-12-05-13-35-51-10_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

if we solidify the outfield (offensively) then it allows us to roll with a defensive-centric machete/vazquez situation behind the plate instead of making a push for contreras which seems a bit square peg-round hole to me.  though vazquez can hit .270 which is pretty nice to have down in the 8-9 hole.

also lol at other fans being relieved that verlander is out of houston, as if we were not all expecting it/still complaining about having 6 good starting pitchers.

the mets were my #1 destination for him.  that division is a nightmare and he's out of the al.  peace out, holmes, it's been fun.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i saw a fantasy baseball twitter account handicapping where rookies will/should go in fantasy drafts next year.

they had brown around #200.  not bloody likely (in any league that i'm in).

It’s amazing to me how little respect he gets. I saw a couple articles that mentioned 10 different players in the AL alone for rookie of the year without mentioning him. 
Pre-fucking-posterous