2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

4 minutes ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

I really dont think JV will do well in NY but id love to be proven wrong. Dusty gave JV what he wanted. We got a 6 man rotation sometimes and JV got extra time to rest up. Not sure NYM can provide the same level of comfort. Not sure NYM can give him the same run support we have always given him. JV wants 300 wins and I will eat my hat if he gets that for NYM. 

lot of cold weather games in the NL East 

8 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

I really dont think JV will do well in NY but id love to be proven wrong. Dusty gave JV what he wanted. We got a 6 man rotation sometimes and JV got extra time to rest up. Not sure NYM can provide the same level of comfort. Not sure NYM can give him the same run support we have always given him. JV wants 300 wins and I will eat my hat if he gets that for NYM. 

I see the Astros going with a 6-man rotation again this season, and it's likely going to be the next big change in MLB. I think more teams will start using 6-man rotations. It makes sense from the standpoint of keeping your main starters healthy for the playoffs. Instead of starting 35 games, keep them in the 28-30 range. Just the way it's going to be moving forward, where the top starters barely get over 200 innings, where most guys are 150-180.

8 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

He is also trading the division he dominated for the division that dominated him in the WS. 

Regular season Verlander is different than post-season Verlander.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I see the Astros going with a 6-man rotation again this season, and it's likely going to be the next big change in MLB. I think more teams will start using 6-man rotations. It makes sense from the standpoint of keeping your main starters healthy for the playoffs. Instead of starting 35 games, keep them in the 28-30 range. Just the way it's going to be moving forward, where the top starters barely get over 200 innings, where most guys are 150-180.

Most teams would love to go to a 6 man rotation but they would be starting a likely AAA equivalent starter. Go look around not many teams have 5 quality starters let alone 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Seconded. Garcia really benefited from the 6 man rotation. It’ll be tough to find another wipe out arm out of the bullpen, but Hunter Brown appears to be ready to start. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Seconded. Garcia really benefited from the 6 man rotation. It’ll be tough to find another wipe out arm out of the bullpen, but Hunter Brown appears to be ready to start. 

Also LMJ. If there's anyone on this staff that needs to be in a 6 man, its him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wait til he says the same about Judge's deal.  I'm sure he loves Trea Turner's contract also.  The reason why none of the Astros' prospects get rated highly anymore is because of the grudge that jackasses like Law hold against the team.

Edited by kevwun
  • Rage+1 1

Dodgers are so fucked. Freidman is on mlb network

Here is the notes of his interview:

What are you doing with 3B and SS? Don't know

What are you going to do about SP? Don't know may have to bring people up sooner than we wanted

Who is your closer? Don't know

Lmao

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m struggling to think of any Japanese player of note that didn’t end up on the west coast or with the Yanks/Red Sox. It’s be an interesting direction for both him and the Astros. 

I mean only last year you could find Seiya Suzuki signing with the rebuilding Cubs.

• Hook 'Em 1

None. Abreu’s the superior player, and making less than $3mil/year more. If anything, that makes the Abreu deal look even better. The extra year might backfire, I guess, but the AAV is right in line with projections, while Bell looks like a big overpay. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-top-50-free-agents/

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

None. Abreu’s the superior player, and making less than $3mil/year more. If anything, that makes the Abreu deal look even better. The extra year might backfire, I guess, but the AAV is right in line with projections, while Bell looks like a big overpay. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-top-50-free-agents/

All of this. Every deal that gets signed makes me even happier with the Abreu deal. 
ready to sign Contreras and I guess a scrub starting pitcher and get to work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i got into a shouting match with a stranger at fucking epcot last month about illegal bats, so yes, this is a conversation one of you will probably have to participate in.

I recommend a corked bat when hitting a stranger.  Never for a friend, though.  That would be shitty.