2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I see the Astros going with a 6-man rotation again this season, and it's likely going to be the next big change in MLB. I think more teams will start using 6-man rotations. It makes sense from the standpoint of keeping your main starters healthy for the playoffs. Instead of starting 35 games, keep them in the 28-30 range. Just the way it's going to be moving forward, where the top starters barely get over 200 innings, where most guys are 150-180.

Regular season Verlander is different than post-season Verlander.

I think the Astros will attempt a six man again thud season, but I think teams are well aware of its value. However you have to have a ton of quality SP depth to pull it off.  A starter getting blown up in the second inning is much more costly to a team using a six man rotation - your starters have to perform for it to work.  

The Astros have six legit MLB caliber starting pitchers without adding any from free agency. They also gave Bielak and guys like JP France around for spot starts and the like. France’s projected ERA for 2023 is around 4.0, which is incredible for an org’s maybe seventh best SP.  Then there are guys like Melendez, Arrighetti, Gordon, and Ullola coming behind them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Please explain your reasoning behind this statement 

There’s one less bullpen guy to wear it in that situation. Most teams would have their 6th starter likely as their long reliever who comes in and saves the bullpen. 6 man rotation less likely to have that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s one less bullpen guy to wear it in that situation. Most teams would have their 6th starter likely as their long reliever who comes in and saves the bullpen. 6 man rotation less likely to have that guy. 

Nope. 26 man rosters 7 releivers. If you need 8 relievers you have a shitty pitching staff.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

So, MLB took a break from roasting the Astros to doctor some baseballs to help Aaron Judge get a record?

Hang on while I find my shocked face.

I still don't understand all that BS. It pisses me off too. Hope Yordan takes it down next season..wonder if they cut from football games to shoe Yordan's AB's. 

4 years at $17/yr is right on the fangraphs crowdsource prediction (and is below what Clemens projected for AAV). If you have been wishing for Contreras, you should know that’s what it’s going to take.

10. Willson Contreras, C, Age 31
Contract Estimate
Type Years AAV Total
Ben Clemens 4 $20.0 M $80.0 M
Median Crowdsource 4 $17.7 M $70.6 M
Avg Crowdsource 3.84 $17.4 M $66.8 M

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

4 years at $17/yr is right on the fangraphs crowdsource prediction (and is below what Clemens projected for AAV). If you have been wishing for Contreras, you should know that’s what it’s going to take.

It’s like I’m taking crazy pills. People are objecting to Abreu deal which is going to end up the best

deal of the off-season, and now people are objecting to a deal that’s much less than Comtreras will actually sign?

4/68 is actually pretty shitty in light of what else is going on. I expect him to probably get 5/95 or 4/80 (at least on paper with an option or something on the 5th year) and the Astros should absolutely pay it. 

Yet online all I read are fans pining for an ancient Yuli to come back, re-sign a broken Brantley and turn the catcher job over to a couple of dipshits, one of whom doesn’t actually want to catch and the other of whom will be so bad offensively that it will make machete blush. All during our window of exactly 3 years when we will have 6 good to great starters locked down- 5 of whom we won’t be paying market rate to. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s like I’m taking crazy pills. People are objecting to Abreu deal which is going to end up the best

deal of the off-season, and now people are objecting to a deal that’s much less than Comtreras will actually sign?

4/68 is actually pretty shitty in light of what else is going on. I expect him to probably get 5/95 or 4/80 (at least on paper with an option or something on the 5th year) and the Astros should absolutely pay it. 

Yet online all I read are fans pining for an ancient Yuli to come back, re-sign a broken Brantley and turn the catcher job over to a couple of dipshits, one of whom doesn’t actually want to catch and the other of whom will be so bad offensively that it will make machete blush. All during our window of exactly 3 years when we will have 6 good to great starters locked down- 5 of whom we won’t be paying market rate to. 

Is the plan still to play him in the OF a bunch? I wouldn’t be super excited about giving $80mm to a 31 year-old catcher to play LF. If the plan is for him to catch 120 games and DH some, cool. If it is for him to play 50 games in LF, I’d rather they just sign an OF.

16 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Is the plan still to play him in the OF a bunch? I wouldn’t be super excited about giving $80mm to a 31 year-old catcher to play LF. If the plan is for him to catch 120 games and DH some, cool. If it is for him to play 50 games in LF, I’d rather they just sign an OF.

Nah. If I had to guess I would say 60 catching and 70 or 80 at DH with an occasional 1B or LF mixed in. Catching too much degraded his offense. This team is going to make the playoffs easy. It can waste its time with Maldy catching 100 games as long as come playoff time we go with the big bat. 

4 minutes ago, huge said:

I dont understand this.  What is the big deal?  Making fun of the ball when throwing a no-no?

It took me a while too. The article a few posts above detailed how the MLB provided more hitter friendly balls to the Yankees and in the post season...And this is a picture with one of those balls. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah. If I had to guess I would say 60 catching and 70 or 80 at DH with an occasional 1B or LF mixed in. Catching too much degraded his offense. This team is going to make the playoffs easy. It can waste its time with Maldy catching 100 games as long as come playoff time we go with the big bat. 

All of this. I think if Maldy can catch 80-90 games next year that would be great. He is only making 4.5

Edited by LebongJames

I love Vasquez but Contreras is worth the money if that's where we want to spend it.

and this is stupid:

Jansen doesn't suck but he hasn't been the same since we broke him in 2017. We have better bullpen arms for less money.

The Astros are breaking everyone's brains and it's glorious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I love Vasquez but Contreras is worth the money if that's where we want to spend it.

and this is stupid:

Jansen doesn't suck but he hasn't been the same since we broke him in 2017. We have better bullpen arms for less money.

The Astros are breaking everyone's brains and it's glorious.

By “we have better bullpen arms” I think you are understating by a lot. We have like 5 better bullpen arms. At least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

prob not, what do it say?

It's really long.  I got about half way through and lost interest.  I don't care anyway.  

We are going to have a really good team again next year and will be the betting favorite to win again.  Everything else is just noise.

6 minutes ago, huge said:

It's really long.  I got about half way through and lost interest.  I don't care anyway.  

We are going to have a really good team again next year and will be the betting favorite to win again.  Everything else is just noise.

middle finger emoji rep. 

Edited by henrygandorf