2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Lots of long contracts being dished out to 30+ year olds

Strangely, Keith Law only had issues with one of them.

(But forreal, Mets will be paying Brandon fucking Nimmo more at age 38 than the Astros will be paying Abreu at the same age, yet I guarantee we won’t see the same fire from that douche on this one.)
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ok, so I hated the Turner deal and a couple others,  loved the Abreu deal, and think y’all were too hard on the Contreras deal- I would have done that in a heartbeat. This Nimmo deal though man- it’s absurd. 
I thought Kyle Tucker was too old to get 300M, but I’m pretty sure he will now. 
Damn. 

It’s nuts. The trend for a decade has been to move away from paying big salaries to guys in their late 30s. The Pujols and Cabrera deals were held up as the examples of why those deals are almost always terrible. And suddenly this year everyone is getting signed through age 40. What in the actual fuck is happening.

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It’s nuts. The trend for a decade has been to move away from paying big salaries to guys in their late 30s. The Pujols and Cabrera deals were held up as the examples of why those deals are almost always terrible. And suddenly this year everyone is getting signed through age 40. What in the actual fuck is happening.

There’s been a lot of young guys sign big money extensions without hitting FA lately. I wonder if this is causing some of this escalation. 
the obvious answer is nobody thinks these guys will be worth that 9’years from now, but either they overperform the front end and flags fly forever or they don’t and everyone is looking for a new job anyway? 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

CF is becoming a fucking offensive graveyard second only to catcher. I think he’s a top tier CF (top 6 or 8 at the position) now. He obviously won’t be in 5 years. 

i didn't get nimmo two weeks ago and i still don't.  especially not for 8 x 20 so i guess i don't have to worry about it.  50 xbh out of a cf shouldn't be that hard to find.

those should be meyers' numbers if he ever gets his shit together.  chas gave us 30 xbh in 60% of the pa so he could max out near there too if he got the chance.  chas also gave great defense and a couple bombs in the postseason.

a mix of conforto/benintendi/ariz outfielders + chas/meyers should be fine, at least until the trade deadline.  

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

a mix of conforto/benintendi/ariz outfielders + chas/meyers should be fine, at least until the trade deadline.  

I think it’s going to be Conforto on a 1 year prove-it deal. Maybe 2 years with a player option in year 2. Seems like a Crane kind of move. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i didn't get nimmo two weeks ago and i still don't.  especially not for 8 x 20 so i guess i don't have to worry about it.  50 xbh out of a cf shouldn't be that hard to find.

those should be meyers' numbers if he ever gets his shit together.  chas gave us 30 xbh in 60% of the pa so he could max out near there too if he got the chance.  chas also gave great defense and a couple bombs in the postseason.

If we do your last paragraph I will be a happy dude. 
The deal with Nimmo is a 400 obp. That’s elite level shit and would wreck shop in the 2 hole or leadoff for the Astros. 8/162 is nuts. He isn’t getting to 20 WAR for the rest of his career and he’s also not going to give you a borderline MVP season or 2, so no dice. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The deal with Nimmo is a 400 obp.

right but he was at .367 last season.  he was at .400 the two seasons before that in shortened play.  a halfway healthy brantley could probably match his output.  wish we knew where we were on that.   someone will sign him before we're ready and overpay so good for him i guess.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

How much would Tucker get if he was a free agent this year?  Somewhere between 250-300 million?

well he's 25 so it's not super realistic.  but yeah, he'd get 12 years and 400mm or something bonkers.

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we do your last paragraph I will be a happy dude. 
The deal with Nimmo is a 400 obp. That’s elite level shit and would wreck shop in the 2 hole or leadoff for the Astros. 8/162 is nuts. He isn’t getting to 20 WAR for the rest of his career and he’s also not going to give you a borderline MVP season or 2, so no dice. 

Yeah, fangraphs had him at about 5/100. So the same AAV, but 8 years is crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yordan and Tucker get nice Christmas bonuses. I haven’t seen the list of less than a million guys but  I imagine Peña is towards the top of that  

That’s pretty cool. I’ve never liked how much of baseballs economics were built on low paid wages (relatively) to the young guys while older guys drink their milkshake, but think it’s probably necessary in a competitive league with vastly different market sizes and resource bases. It’s cool that something like this happens. Tucker is still woefully underpaid but with the bonus and playoff share he’s at like 2.5 or 3 instead of 400k it would have been even just 10 years ago I think. That’s better. 

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

$100M floor. It would go a long way towards CBA peace.

Yeah. I never understood why a payroll minimum wasn’t the MLBPA focus instead of the CBT levels. The number players that would have  benefited more certainly were in the majority. Yet the concentration was on getting the elite stupid money. They should all send Scott Boras a lump of coal for Christmas for selling them out. 

Edited by TonyTexas