2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

If they really didn’t add anyone else I would expect the “everyday lineup” would have Meyers in CF with McCormick in LF and Yordan DH’ing.  Hensley/Diaz would probably be on the roster but I think they’d play less than Meyers.

The best part of Click leaving is the love he had for Meyers. Hopefully, people will now realize the guy had a hot month and has been a hot mess ever since.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The best part of Click leaving is the love he had for Meyers. Hopefully, people will now realize the guy had a hot month and has been a hot mess ever since.

Never mind that something pretty significant threw him off track for a good while.  He still wasn't 100% when he came back this year.  He has less than a season's worth of ABs, with a good chunk of those coming while still recovering from a bad injury.  It's worth giving the Meyers experiment another chance after a full offseason to heal and recuperate.  It took Tuck a while to figure things out and he didn't have to work through an injury.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Never mind that something pretty significant threw him off track for a good while.  He still wasn't 100% when he came back this year.  He has less than a season's worth of ABs, with a good chunk of those coming while still recovering from a bad injury.  It's worth giving the Meyers experiment another chance after a full offseason to heal and recuperate.  It took Tuck a while to figure things out and he didn't have to work through an injury.

I mean sure, but he's another LJ Hoes. It's crazy people still think Meyers is a serious option.

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Crane prints money.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jake Meyers - When / If he can get to 100% health, he can put out Straw type numbers 

Chas - I don’t see why he can’t pump out Benitendi type #’s. I think he keeps improving 

both can not start this season slumping / low producing. If you want to be an mlb player, show up like one 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean sure, but he's another LJ Hoes. It's crazy people still think Meyers is a serious option.

49 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jake Meyers - When / If he can get to 100% health, he can put out Straw type numbers 

Weird comparisons. Do Hoes and Straw even have double digit career homers combined? I don’t know if Meyers will make it or not, but he has some pop.

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Chas - I don’t see why he can’t pump out Benitendi type #’s. I think he keeps improving 

both can not start this season slumping / low producing. If you want to be an mlb player, show up like one 

What if I told you Chas had a higher career wRC+ than Benintendi right now? He keeps being underrated-he HAS shown he’s an MLB player, an above average one.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Weird comparisons. Do Hoes and Straw even have double digit career homers combined? I don’t know if Meyers will make it or not, but he has some pop.

What if I told you Chas had a higher career wRC+ than Benintendi right now? He keeps being underrated-he HAS shown he’s an MLB player, an above average one.

It’s really weird to me anyone would like Benitendi, and Chas is certainly not afforded the respect he deserves amongst our fan base. I suspect it’s bc Dusty basically does everything in his power to avoid playing him and Meyers had such a long rope. 
Odd. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s really weird wing anyone would like Benitendi to me, and Chas is certainly not afforded the respect he deserves amongst our fan base. I suspect it’s bc Dusty basically does every ring in his power to avoid playing him and Meyers had such a long rope. 
Odd. 

Iirc you were a pretty strong Meyers advocate for quite awhile. Until you finally realized he sucked and finally agreed with me that Chas was the better option. 

24 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Iirc you were a pretty strong Meyers advocate for quite awhile. Until you finally realized he sucked and finally agreed with me that Chas was the better option. 

I was a strong advocate of giving him a month or two to see if he was the guy he was the year before when he was pretty good. That oppo power he showed in month 1 was very impressive and I can’t understand that, but he’s obviously got to cut down the k’s, draw some walks and do that good stuff 

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s really weird to me anyone would like Benitendi, and Chas is certainly not afforded the respect he deserves amongst our fan base. I suspect it’s bc Dusty basically does everything in his power to avoid playing him and Meyers had such a long rope. 
Odd. 

It's because his splits show he's a platoon player. Benintendi and McCormick would make a great LF'er, but you still need an everyday CF.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was a strong advocate of giving him a month or two to see if he was the guy he was the year before when he was pretty good. That oppo power he showed in month 1 was very impressive and I can’t understand that, but he’s obviously got to cut down the k’s, draw some walks and do that good stuff 

Not true. You were advocating for him before the season started dreaming of his under the radar 4 WAR season.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not true. You were advocating for him before the season started dreaming of his under the radar 4 WAR season.

I was definitely saying that you couldn’t write him off as a 4 WAR guy. 
funnybthing is- as bad as he was last year he had 0.5 WAR in 150 AB’s and got career it’s 290 AB’s and 1.7 war. 
that prorated out to 2.0 WAR coming off injury and looking horrible and 3.5 WAR for his career. So, it’s not like it’s implausible, if he gets over the mental fuckery he put on himself. 

Chas deserves a shot at starting this season, and it saves the club a ton of money given the stupid market out there. Get Brantley back on a 1 year prove it deal for support, and assess the trade market mid season. There's bound to be better options out there for sale then. 

I think the only thing they really need at this point is another left handed pitcher in the pen. Having another decent lefty on the roster would help a lot in the playoffs. Doesn't have to be a huge splash signing either just someone who can do 1 inning or so, or be a strategic play against specific hitters.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Kalas needs to retire. The game is too fast for him now. Blum is fine and is slowly becoming another Deshaies.

He's 56 and does a very solid job, which is what you want out of that role.  Blum isn't fine, he's fantastic.  He's every bit as good as Deshaies was, which is a huge compliment.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, uoftorange said:

He's 56 and does a very solid job, which is what you want out of that role.  Blum isn't fine, he's fantastic.  He's every bit as good as Deshaies was, which is a huge compliment.  

I like their chemistry but Kalas seems to have some sort of memory issue. He mixes up names and other stuff all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, txduck87 said:

Well I’ll be 70 so go fuck yourself. Go Stros!

I’ll be retired, living in the DR and keeping an eye open for the next Framber and Javier for the Astros. Volunteer consultant work checking out Dominican leagues will be awesome. Maybe if I discover a gem the Astros can pay my beer tabs. 

Get Brantley back on a 1 year prove it deal for support, and assess the trade market mid season. There's bound to be better options out there for sale then. 

We’ll see but based upon who will have expiring contracts after next season, there’s no one we’d want to trade for.