2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely they are. Ford is really really good at describing the action without making it about him, and they have a great chemistry and are both informative and fun. 
I’ve never been more shocked in my life to find out someone was black than Robert Ford based upon what their voices sound like. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, texashorne said:

In this day and age, I always wonder how many people actually took that via radio, live. 

Prior to this season, I would have heard it, because I always muted national broadcasts and synced up the radio feed with the video.  Ever since MLB shifted the AtBat App's audio to partner with Audacy, I could never get it to stay synced, so I gave up.  I did listen to postgame via the app, because it's always fun to hear Sparky get wet.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/3/2023 at 3:17 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

New Niko Goodrum just dropped.

He went 3-4 with 2 RBIs in his debut but that was about it except for two more multi-hit games the rest of his time up in the bigs.  No one even gave a shit about his debut since it was also Oneil Cruz's first game in 2022.

Bligh's performance was also put on the backburner by a squirrel that got loose in the outfield. 

edit for video inclusion

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

7 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Well, I’ve always been partial to the duo of Gene Elston and Lowel Passe from my childhood memories, listening on a summer night back before every (any) games were on TV.

Of course, there were no championships back then. But, yeah, I agree with you, Ford and Sparks are pretty good.

Mr. Passe's daughter was my next door neighbor growing up.  He was a very nice man that always took time out to see me and talk baseball.  When the Astros played the extra game vs. the Giants he got me and 3 friends plus my mom tickets.  Then Mike Scott threw a freaking no hitter, he brought me up to the booth with the current Astros broadcast team Gene Elston and a new guy named Milo.  They gave me all the notes from the game, stacks of paper, and all kinds of Astros stuff.  It was a pretty sad day for me when he passed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

He went 3-4 with 2 RBIs in his debut but that was about it except for two more multi-hit games the rest of his time up in the bigs.  No one even gave a shit about his debut since it was also Oneil Cruz's first game in 2022.

Bligh's performance was also put on the backburner by a squirrel that got loose in the outfield. 

edit for video inclusion

I admit, I was worried.  Who the fuck is this guy, with his MLB 177/244/266 slash line in 2022?

Then I saw that he went to the Mexican Pacific Winter League and is fucking tearing it up (216/286/255), and I realized the genius of this signing.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, runthebone said:

I admit, I was worried.  Who the fuck is this guy, with his MLB 177/244/266 slash line in 2022?

Then I saw that he went to the Mexican Pacific Winter League and is fucking tearing it up (216/286/255), and I realized the genius of this signing.

With somebody like this on the roster we'll be grateful when Dubon is in the lineup. 

• Haha 1

Good.  We've undoubtedly gotten better with the other Cuban.  If Yuli wants to play Miami sounds like a wonderful place for him. He can provide veteran leadership and experience, be comfortable in his hometown with other Cuban's and probably enjoy the last ditch vestiges of his career.  Make them yank the uniform off of you and get paid the entire time.  Nothing else you do will be as awesome as playing MLB baseball.  Get yours Yuli.  Just not while you are a below average player, with my team, while they are in their title window.  Thank you for your career and efforts. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We have 4 down the left field corner (section 107 I think). 
Would be willing to sell someone a 1/4 or 1/8 share. Tickets are $16000 so 1/4 would get 20 games of 4 seats for $4,000 or 1/8 would get you 10 games of 4 seats at $2,000.
we draft seats in preference for first 5 games or so. Then next 5 games. Upshot is you end up with 1 game from any series you want but you aren’t going to end up with 10 games of tickets where it’s all 3 Yankees, all 3 Red Sox and all 3 Cubs.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Would be willing to sell someone a 1/4 or 1/8 share. Tickets are $16000 so 1/4 would get 20 games of 4 seats for $4,000 or 1/8 would get you 10 games of 4 seats at $2,000.
we draft seats in preference for first 5 games or so. Then next 5 games. Upshot is you end up with 1 game from any series you want but you aren’t going to end up with 10 games of tickets where it’s all 3 Yankees, all 3 Red Sox and all 3 Cubs.   

That's tempting.  How are the playoffs (provided of course we make it...) going to work?

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Dipping my toes into being a (partial) season ticket holder this year. Wife and I are going in with a group of 8 total sharing 4 seats in 207. 

Do it.
Thinking of getting a partial season package again (had a pair in 2019).  Sect 252-254 is my preference (aside from obvious behind plate).

It's above right field, you have El Tiempo (used to he Torchy's), big bar, restrooms and concession right behind the seats with less crowd access to it. Also less crowd passing by like there is downstairs.  Great view. Home run alley. Yordan hit one few rows behind me once. No way I was putting my hand up for that missile. 

Shit. I miss baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

That's tempting.  How are the playoffs (provided of course we make it...) going to work?

Games 1 and 2 (since they are both guaranteed) you get 2 tickets to either game 1 or game 2. We sell games 6 and 7 and split the money via share since there’s no guarantee you end up with a game. 
If you want to buy someone else’s playoff seat you buy it for 85% of the price on Stubhub. Discount for the buyer. Seller ends up with same amount of money they’d have gotten on stubhub. Everyone seems pleased with the arrangement. 
Also/ you have early access to buy shitty seats at jacked up prices. Eg- 2 behind home plate for the World Series were going for 350 a ticket through Astros.com with priority ability to order. 

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

Pre-game Milo Hamilton would instruct his wife to go into the media dining room before him, so that he could make a grand entrance by himself.  Often times I’d see her eating by herself when he had found an audience that would just sit quietly and listen to him drone on. 

What a dick that guy was. Ego maniac. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

do I have to sit next to you ? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Pre-game Milo Hamilton would instruct his wife to go into the media dining room before him, so that he could make a grand entrance by himself.  Often times I’d see her eating by herself when he had found an audience that would just sit quietly and listen to him drone on. 

He was another Freak Daddy. Just a disgusting human being.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Games 1 and 2 (since they are both guaranteed) you get 2 tickets to either game 1 or game 2. We sell games 6 and 7 and split the money via share since there’s no guarantee you end up with a game. 
If you want to buy someone else’s playoff seat you buy it for 85% of the price on Stubhub. Discount for the buyer. Seller ends up with same amount of money they’d have gotten on stubhub. Everyone seems pleased with the arrangement. 
Also/ you have early access to buy shitty seats at jacked up prices. Eg- 2 behind home plate for the World Series were going for 350 a ticket through Astros.com with priority ability to order. 

What a dick that guy was. Ego maniac. 

Or get the code and buy extras? Thats how we do it when splitting ours.  We buy 4 others in another spot then rotate who gets the seats and split it. 

10 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Dipping my toes into being a (partial) season ticket holder this year. Wife and I are going in with a group of 8 total sharing 4 seats in 207. 

We did this last year - bought into a group of 5 with four seats (16 games each couple/family). Fucking blast. Does your group use one of those sites that basically sets up a snake draft for the tickets? It’s a great deal, folks can avoid days/weeks where they know they’ll be out of town and ensures the new guy doesn’t get stuck with all the shitty games. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

We'd have to bring back Luhnow to do it

He was going to take the Oregon state pedophile allegedly, so…. Yeah- feels like something he would do. 
personally, I’d do the Bauer deal if it wasn’t for the fact that he’s a loud mouth prick. And if we had a need. We really don’t, but… yeah- seems hard to believe anyone in a competitive league could take on anyone with that much talent, basically for free, and nobody ultimately does it. Feels like he won’t get picked up by a club, but I would sort of be surprised if he doesn’t. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:27 AM, Halohal said:

Next deal to close on...broadcast games in Austin.

giphy.gif

Should be a slam dunk.  Even Amarillo is local for Astros broadcasts.

( Find a great stream and roll with it)

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

You’d also have to trade Bregs and LMJ

Any offer to Bauer would include a clause that he's not allowed around the team—he only can show up on days he starts and then sit in a separate part of the stadium while we hit so no one catches douchebag in case it's contagious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:45 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

So- Bauer for $720k minimum- anyone even slightly interested? 

If we did, people might start hating us. Oh wait. 

But seriously, we have a fantastic BP and a 6 man rotation already. The Osuna PR nightmare would seem like a cakewalk compared to what this would be.. 

59 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’ll get a multi year deal, lot of teams need arms but huge clubhouse cancer 

Not sure why so many here are willing to bump hunter brown for Bauer 

I wouldn’t bump Brown for Bauer. I’d look to trade Urquidy or Garcia, plus Chas,  plus prospects for a quality CF and the rotation would be: Framber, Javier, LMJ, Bauer, Brown and whoever of Urquidy or Garcia didn’t get traded. 
Not that I’m saying we should do that, but if we did do that Bauer deal that’s the way I would do it. 
It will be interesting to see if he gets a deal period let alone a multi year one. I don’t think I’ve seen a single commentator that believes he will get a deal, even for 1 year at the minimum. 

10 hours ago, runthebone said:

Any offer to Bauer would include a clause that he's not allowed around the team—he only can show up on days he starts and then sit in a separate part of the stadium while we hit so no one catches douchebag in case it's contagious. 

This would be the greatest contract/clause ever.