2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

We won the whole goddamn thing two months ago, I couldn't care less about any of those clickbait tweets/articles/predictions for the 2023 Astros right now, and I say that as Htown sports fan who has historically been quick to trigger over national media disrespect. Stros had sex and fucked em all, I'm still in celebration mode. 

Shared a screenshot of my work iPad to a coworker to show them where to look for certain ap.  Of course my wallpaper is Yordan smashing a HR.  Dude is from Seattle and started whimpering.

Just told him IDGAF.  Astros are champs, and I’m enjoying it.

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

We won the whole goddamn thing two months ago, I couldn't care less about any of those clickbait tweets/articles/predictions for the 2023 Astros right now, and I say that as Htown sports fan who has historically been quick to trigger over national media disrespect. Stros had sex and fucked em all, I'm still in celebration mode. 

That's how I feel, too.  I don't care what they say.  That banner is going to look pretty fucking sweet.

so ready for the hunter brown era to begin in earnest. he might move framber down to sp3. 
Just letting that sink in...our likely opening day starter could be our playoff #3 by the time October rolls around. And not because of mid-season acquisitions.

Insane.

10 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I predicted top 5 for Bregs, but I can’t really argue for him to jump anyone ahead of him.  But I wouldn’t take any of them over him on this team. 

Agreed. 3B across MLB is historically strong right now. It is a bit of an underrepresented position in the HoF, but I see 2 (maybe 3) guys on that list  who are nearing no-doubt status, and another 3 or 4 who have a shot based on their age/trajectory.

I can argue, however, that Arenado should be no lower than 3rd on that list (and probably 2nd). He, Machado and Ramirez, to me, are the clear top 3 and Alex, Riley and Devers are the next tier. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Let's go Corey Julks.

Julks and Dirden are two players to watch that could make the roster or be on the very short list for call-ups as an injury replacement. I'm intrigued by Dirden because of the power numbers he put up last year in Corpus although he dipped a bit after getting called up to AAA, albeit in fewer games. He's a 25-year-old lefty hitter with some pop, and could be an asset off the bench later in the season.

Also interesting to me is the case of Jairo Solis. The Astros had been high on him for years because of his high velocity and had protected him on the 40-man roster despite multiple arm injuries until they outrighted him last year. I didn't expect to see him in the system much longer but he didn't sign with any other teams and is a non-roster invitee to ST at age 23. He hasn't pitched since like 2018 and had two TJ surgeries. He won't make the roster but maybe they get lucky with him and he finally contributes at the minor league level and beyond?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed. 3B across MLB is historically strong right now. It is a bit of an underrepresented position in the HoF, but I see 2 (maybe 3) guys on that list  who are nearing no-doubt status, and another 3 or 4 who have a shot based on their age/trajectory.

I can argue, however, that Arenado should be no lower than 3rd on that list (and probably 2nd). He, Machado and Ramirez, to me, are the clear top 3 and Alex, Riley and Devers are the next tier. 

On numbers alone, Alonso should have been in front bregman. Easily

On leadership and locker room presence, nope 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Julks and Dirden are two players to watch that could make the roster or be on the very short list for call-ups as an injury replacement. I'm intrigued by Dirden because of the power numbers he put up last year in Corpus although he dipped a bit after getting called up to AAA, albeit in fewer games. He's a 25-year-old lefty hitter with some pop, and could be an asset off the bench later in the season.

Also interesting to me is the case of Jairo Solis. The Astros had been high on him for years because of his high velocity and had protected him on the 40-man roster despite multiple arm injuries until they outrighted him last year. I didn't expect to see him in the system much longer but he didn't sign with any other teams and is a non-roster invitee to ST at age 23. He hasn't pitched since like 2018 and had two TJ surgeries. He won't make the roster but maybe they get lucky with him and he finally contributes at the minor league level and beyond?

If you’re an up and coming arm in the astroS system, it’s a long path right now to the majors 

I wonder if brown can speak Spanish, because he needs to write down everything Javier tells him. Bouncing from starter to bullpen. Pitching strategies, getting stronger and growing. 

18 hours ago, The Dog said:

yeah and holy fuck what did Atlanta do to get Riley to sign that deal. 

People would probably say the same thing if LAD inked Cody Bellinger to a big deal a couple years ago.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

On numbers alone, Alonso should have been in front bregman. Easily

On leadership and locker room presence, nope 

Did you just mix up Pete Alonso and Nolan Arenado?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

What the hell is going on with the GM position? The heavy lifting of this offseason is done. Perhaps Crane has decided that he and the current front office can handle it this year and he has a handshake agreement with Stearns to take over next year when he’s free.  I’d be ok with that plan. 

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

my guess is we have a GM before spring training starts. 

Then give me an another explanation for why it hasn’t been done. It’s been 10 weeks since Click was fired. The candidates easily could be identified, interviewed and a decision made during that time period. What are they waiting for? Is Crane giving Bagwell a test run? Let’s hope not. 

Edited by TonyTexas

59 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Then give me an another explanation for why it hasn’t been done. It’s been 10 weeks since Click was fired. The candidates easily could be identified, interviewed and a decision made during that time period. What are they waiting for? Is Crane giving Bagwell a test run? Let’s hope not. 

I don’t think so on Bagwell (I hope not). I have no idea. Maybe he wanted to get through FA because he had his own preferences, then holidays and now he figures he’s got 7 weeks to make the decision from Jan 1st. Of the 3 candidates who interviewed I like the Braves guy just fine and would be disappointed by the other two. 

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

75% chance it’ll be bagwell

hello new manager Brad asmus !

I don’t think Crane is stupid. That would be something a stupid man does. 

Lil Shep will win 3 titles at UT, then get drafted in the first round by the Astros. He is available in the final pick of the first round because everyone knows the only team that could keep him from playing his senior year would be the Astros. He goes straight to the majors and helps the Astros win yet another World Series, so many consecutive that everyone has lost count. Before the champagne flows in the locker room, Lil Shep finally marries his longtime girlfriend Julia Morales, who left her husband the day Lil Shep turned 18.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1