2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

16 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t trust Nightengale but here’s what he has to say:

Dana Brown, Atlanta’s vice president of scouting, has emerged as the clear front-runner to become the Astros' next general manager. 

Brown, 55, who has been with Atlanta the past four years, is one of the game’s shrewdest talent evaluators. He has been responsible for Atlanta’s fabulous draft success, recently selecting outfielder Michael Harris and starter Spencer Strider, who finished 1-2 in last year’s NL Rookie of the Year voting. 

Brown would become baseball’s lone Black GM, and join vice president Ken Williams of the Chicago White Sox as the only Black executives in charge of baseball operations. 

• Hook 'Em 2

From The Athletic Braves mailbag

Should we be concerned about potentially losing Dana Brown? I’ve seen articles mentioning him as a possible GM candidate for other teams. — Ariston B.

Brown is the Braves’ vice president in charge of scouting, the man who has put together some of the best drafts in baseball since coming to Atlanta in 2019 from the Nationals, where he also had plenty of success. With the Braves, Brown has overseen the kind of resounding results that can help bolster an organization’s foundation in a major way —and get the attention of teams looking to fill positions at the top of the baseball operations. In his first draft with the Braves, they took Shea Langeliers with the No. 9 pick, and Langeliers was the key piece of the trade that brought Matt Olson to Atlanta last spring.

But Brown and the Braves were just getting warmed up in that draft. In the third round, they took center fielder Michael Harris II out of Stockbridge High School south of Atlanta, and in the fourth round they selected Spencer Strider from Clemson, where the pitcher was below the radar after missing a lot of time recovering from Tommy John surgery. Strider didn’t have anything like the electric stuff that he features now, but the Braves saw something, and as a rookie in 2022 he struck out batters at a higher rate than any starting pitcher in baseball. Harris was the NL Rookie of the Year, Strider was runner-up, and both are now signed to long-term extensions.

Will Brown be? Signed long-term, that is. It can be quite difficult to keep a highly sought-after front-office official if other organizations are offering a promotion to a GM job, which usually comes with a far bigger salary. But some guys do love the scouting aspect of baseball and don’t necessarily want the far-reaching responsibilities that come with moving to the big chair of the GM office. Some people also would prefer to stay with their current organization, in anticipation of that GM job opening someday. Who knows if either description fits Brown? But I would just say Brown and Anthopoulos have a terrific working relationship going back to their days with the Toronto Blue Jays. And the Houston ownership/management situation might not seem as attractive or comfortable as what Brown has with the Braves. I don’t know. It won’t surprise me if the Astros, who’ve already interviewed him at least once, offer him the job. Or if he takes it.

However, consider what Brown has been able to do with the Braves and the working relationship Anthopoulos has with him and other front-office officials. There’s also the talent-rich area of the country where the Braves operate — it makes a scouting director’s job easier to be able to get to see so many players without as many travel hassles. Those factors will make the job one of the more attractive scouting director positions in baseball if it opens up. I’m sure the Braves would fill it with another impressive candidate. I’m also positive that they hope they don’t have to, but Anthopoulos would never dissuade an employee from accepting a promotion with another team, not even his friend and exceptional scouting director.

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

From The Athletic Braves mailbag

This reminds me why I tried to cancel my subscription to The Athletic this year. I say tried because they begged me to stay and slashed the price to $20 for the year…still not sure it was worth it. It started off really solid with some very good writers doing national stories. It’s since devolved into something akin to Bleacher Report 2.0. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, runthebone said:

There’s also the talent-rich area of the country where the Braves operate — it makes a scouting director’s job easier to be able to get to see so many players without as many travel hassles.

Lulz.  No baseball talent in Houston 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Everyone knows a meaningless regular season win >>> WS title 

also what does the venn diagram even look like with astros fans and uh basketball fans?  i follow college hoops and didn't even know that happened.

hopefully the temple twitter guy hates the phillies and did that to rub shit in their face, because that's what this seems like.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

damn these were great interviews. I’m ready to run through a wall. These guys are ready to get back on the field 

15 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

When the hell are they gonna release our start times for the 2023 home slate? Every single home game is still TBA. Trying to start putting together a priority list for my share of group tickets.

I mean, all home times are basically the same right?  7:00 pm Mon-friday 6:00 pm Saturday, 1:00 PM sunday except for 2 or 3 sunday night games on ESPN and the occasional getaway day game on Thursday.  So, like 10 games might have a different start time than that?

Sunday ESPN Games- Rangers- 4/16, Phillies 4/30.  Serious possibility of Seatle- Sunday July 9, Seattle- Sunday August 20th, Yankees- Sunday September 3 (almost a guarantee on this one), San Diego- sunday September 10th (not if we get the Yankees game the week before of course), That's it for Sunday games.

Potential Wed/Thursday getaway day games: Wed 4/5 Detroit, Wed 5/31- Minn, Thur 8/24- Boston, 

The schedule looks awesome for the Astros for home games.  Those are the only 3 games all year where we end a home stand and don't have an off day to get to the next city.  That's pretty crazy good on the schedule from a body travel perspective.  Didn't look at it the other way to see how many road games we will have where we play until 11 PM and then get in to the next city at 5 AM or something.   

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, all home times are basically the same right?  7:00 pm Mon-friday 6:00 pm Saturday, 1:00 PM sunday except for 2 or 3 sunday night games on ESPN and the occasional getaway day game on Thursday.  So, like 10 games might have a different start time than that?

Sunday ESPN Games- Rangers- 4/16, Phillies 4/30.  Serious possibility of Seatle- Sunday July 9, Seattle- Sunday August 20th, Yankees- Sunday September 3 (almost a guarantee on this one), San Diego- sunday September 10th (not if we get the Yankees game the week before of course), That's it for Sunday games.

Potential Wed/Thursday getaway day games: Wed 4/5 Detroit, Wed 5/31- Minn, Thur 8/24- Boston, 

The schedule looks awesome for the Astros for home games.  Those are the only 3 games all year where we end a home stand and don't have an off day to get to the next city.  That's pretty crazy good on the schedule from a body travel perspective.  Didn't look at it the other way to see how many road games we will have where we play until 11 PM and then get in to the next city at 5 AM or something.   

Yeah, I can guess on probably 90% of the start times. Mostly just want to know the weekday day games. And I feel like a lot of early season Saturday games are 3:10 and then they move them to 6:10 when it gets closer to Summer.

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, I can guess on probably 90% of the start times. Mostly just want to know the weekday day games. And I feel like a lot of early season Saturday games are 3:10 and then they move them to 6:10 when it gets closer to Summer.

Fair point on some 3:10 Saturday games.  that seems to happen during the school year I feel like early season and then again in September when we aren't on the 6:00 regional game for Fox.  

The potential day game schedule looks very light to me man, just those 3 games.  Crazy how well that turned out for us.  There is just no need/reason to have a day game on Wednesday/Thursday when you are home the next day nor when you have a travel day the next day.  Fuck it.  fill the stands and play at night.