2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Goddamnit y’all, Dubon is gonna hit second one night and I’m gonna fuckin bitch about it in here, because it will be stupid no matter how many games the goddamn team wins.

That said, I’m proud of myself for not yet ranting about having a vacancy at GM for an entire goddamn offseason. It seems unnecessary and counterproductive, but I’ve obviously been holding it together and haven’t overreacted. (But for fucks sake it would be nice to, you know, have a real GM. Preferably a good one.)

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Radio guys were guys joking with dusty how little the fans had to complain about during the playoff run. They they brought up someone called about using Montero too long, in a shut out relief appearance, in a WS win 

Well, he was playing with fire bringing montero out for a second inning the night after throwing an inning ….

thanks. I’ll hang up and listen 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully Dubon hits second, game 2

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

So after hearing the Yankees have several bad contracts that they want to pay another team to take on, I'm curious, what's the Astros current worst contract?  I can only think of 3 I would say are bad, but none that are a big liability.

yankees are right up against the next tier of payroll tax. They have zero room 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Radio guys were guys joking with dusty how little the fans had to complain about during the playoff run. They they brought up someone called about using Montero too long, in a shut out relief appearance, in a WS win 

uh, since 2017 there’s plenty to bitch about as a fan. 

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

So after hearing the Yankees have several bad contracts that they want to pay another team to take on, I'm curious, what's the Astros current worst contract?  I can only think of 3 I would say are bad, but none that are a big liability.

I’d say Montero. Though given the insanity of the free agent market this year, it doesn’t look as bad now as it did when it was signed.

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Astros don’t have any “bad” contracts.  They have paid market value for a few players recently: Abreu, Neris, Montero, Brantley, but those deals have either panned out in early returns or looked better as the free agent market evolved.  McCullers $85M contract is probably their highest risk deal but I still fully expect that deal to end up being good for Houston.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Maton being paid 2.5M or whatever it is when we should fire him into the sun is a terrible contract.

Dubon making more than $15.00 an hour is also a gross overpay. 

I’m afraid Brantley making 12M to likely be completely and totally washed is a terrible idea brought on by being a dickless wonder in FA after talking mad shit and firing your GM for being a pussy.  
I’d rather Maldy not be making 6M and they have used that money to pay Contreras 18M to fix the only real hole in the lineup (along with not signing the guys above and just rolling Minor Leaguers into the spot at 13th pitcher, 13th hitter and backup LF/DH), but the fact that every single one of those guys is in 1 year contracts and/or I’m the walk year of their deal shows just how well put together and special this team is. 
And this is me being pessimistic- all those guys might be just fine and not washed this year. Except Maton. He’s guaranteed to suck.

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I’d say Montero. Though given the insanity of the free agent market this year, it doesn’t look as bad now as it did when it was signed.

If minters pitches half as well as he did last year that contract is just fine from a value perspective. Where I lost my mind when it was inked was the fact that I was worried it would stop us from doing other stuff.  But the fact that we are fixing to leave 25M unspent, for the 2nd year in a row, tells me that it didn’t do anything of the kind so yeah to him coming back I guess?  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think there is something to be said about making moves at the deadline. It gives a boost to the team morale, so that likely has something to do with the Astros saving some money.

2017 - Verlander and Liriano

2018 - Maldonado, Presley, and Osuna

2019 - Greinke, Sanchez, Biagini, and Maldonado

2021 - Graveman, Montero, and Garcia

2022 - Vazquez and Mancini

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If you think the uproar about Dubon batting second is bad, just wait until Ausmus is named GM. Please let it be Brown. 

Jose the Jesus is a shit stirring moron that's usually wrong about everything so I'm at a 50/50 between ignoring this as if I hadn't seen it or negging you for putting this nightmare fuel on this thread.  

Yeah, uh, that better not happen (the Ausmus shit) or I'm going to assume that Jim Crane has rocks for brains and just got lucky in making one inspired hire in Luhnow and other than that he's basically a clown.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If you think the uproar about Dubon batting second is bad, just wait until Ausmus is named GM. Please let it be Brown. 

I mean yeah, if Ausmus is named GM I’m going need y’all to organize safety checks on me around the clock for a while. I’d rather Dubon bat fucking leadoff 162 times this year than that.

• Hook 'Em 3

We’ll soon see just how much influence Bagwell has. No doubt he’s strongly supporting his buddy even though that’s probably not the best choice. 
I’m not sure how much Crane cares about what the media and fans think with regards to baseball decisions but, if he does, and these last few days have been trial balloons, the answer is clear. 

I just don't understand what the market value of Yuli is at this point, given his age. Is there a team out there willing to give him a starting first base role and pay more than 5 million for 1 year?  If the Astros can keep him for 1 year ~5 million, I think that's fair. If he wants to go waste a year of his life on some bottom feeder team for 1-2 million more, then so be it. Even if he's just a backup at this point, it's nice to have a guy like him in the lockerroom. 

Those are good arguments for keeping him around in an off the field role, not as a player.

He can’t hit anymore, he can only play one position, he put up negative WAR last year, and he’s over the hill. If that’s worth $5 million, everyone on this board should be lining up for a tryout to stand at first base once a week next season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Mancini just got 2 years up to 21 million from the Cubs, and we saw how good he was for half the year. 5 million is pretty cheap in today's market, I think it's a decent amount for a guy who is going to be an assistant coach for the most part, and it gets him some more cash. He's only earned 55 million in his 7 years of playing, since he was a bit of a late bloomer. 

This team doesn’t need that, though. That’s the 2017 Beltran role (ignoring how that played out). Even though he was washed, that was a young team that benefited from his presence.

This is the most experienced team in MLB. It’s full of leaders. There’s a greater need to bring in young guys to let the existing ones mold them than a(nother) player-coach.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Just curious, why the Ausmus hate?

Because he was a mediocrity as a manager who, despite his education, seems to not value analytics (see how he issued intentional walks, for instance) and has no real front office experience. Basically he’s completely unqualified. And that’s before you throw in the Marisnick business.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

No background/experience in scouting or player development.  He’s totally unqualified to be an MLB GM by todays standards and if he is hired it’s pure nepotism based on his relationship with Bagwell, who seems like he kind of sucks when it comes to influencing the owner to veer back towards the old-school (eventual) loser way of doing shit.

• Hook 'Em 5

48 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

twice failed manger:

he’s a bagwell / biggio bro, who very likely don’t see him as a twice failed manager.

Like bagwell, not the biggest fan of analytics. he played the game by going with ‘gut feeling’. Remember, bagwell criticized the Astros front office for being overly focused on analytics, ‘the game is played by humans !’ The same front office that just won the WS, with domination. And that continues to feed the machine with talent 

asshat has said, in the past he didn’t fully understand the information available from data / analytics. But his ‘gut’ doesn’t overwhelm him with info ? 

he’s a huge douche 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3