2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

If you think the uproar about Dubon batting second is bad, just wait until Ausmus is named GM. Please let it be Brown. 

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

image.gif.3e80f226f93cab17b8ca0e6d48c94650.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m not sure how much Crane cares about what the media and fans think with regards to baseball decisions but, if he does, and these last few days have been trial balloons, the answer is clear. 

Is it?  What's the answer then?

I bet if you polled the fanbase at large the majority would be in favor of Ausmus.  He hit that HR in the playoffs one time and if he played that long he must have been good.  Lots of casuals and dumbasses out there.

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Berkman wasn’t a hall of famer. Too late a start, not a good enough tail to his career (argues he wasn’t likely on steroids) and not a good enough defensive player. All that said, he absolutely should have received a bunch of votes and been on the ballot for the entire 10 years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

is it just me, or is their only one true American* up top?

LFG!!!

* with regard to League, not nationality with our beloved melting pot!!!

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Berkman wasn’t a hall of famer. Too late a start, not a good enough tail to his career (argues he wasn’t likely on steroids) and not a good enough defensive player. All that said, he absolutely should have received a bunch of votes and been on the ballot for the entire 10 years.  

I agree.  But he's closer than Scott Rolen.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Just for future reference, I think we want Beltran to eventually get in, as that bodes well for Altuve. 

It don't make a shit. I already heard people trying to give Beltran a pass because they feel sorry for him that he is being blamed for everything.   Altuve will have spent the majority of his career(if not all) associated with Houston so he will be punished regardless because people are morons.  He will get in at some point if he stays the course, but he will be waiting awhile.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

49 minutes ago, Scraps said:

It don't make a shit. I already heard people trying to give Beltran a pass because they feel sorry for him that he is being blamed for everything.   Altuve will have spent the majority of his career(if not all) associated with Houston so he will be punished regardless because people are morons.  He will get in at some point if he stays the course, but he will be waiting awhile.  

Altuve could quit baseball tomorrow and still make the HOF. The question now is whether or not he'll be 1st ballot or not. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Exactly.  I don't think he's a HOF either but my robbed comment was about dropping off after one ballot.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Yeah, he'll be punished for the same reason he's being booed now.  For continuing to have individual and team success and not falling off when his "dastardly cheating" was exposed.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

At some point in time you’d like to think Justice will prevail and people will see just how unfairly Altuve has been treated and they will celebrate his glorious unique and wonderful career. 

The argument I've seen now in some places is that, well, he might not have cheated personally, but as a team leader, he should have shut that down.

I would love to see that same standard applied to players from the steroid era. How many known users did St. Jeter play with?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I think eventually Altuve will be viewed differently - possibly even somewhat sympathetically, as it will be recognized that he bore an outsized brunt of the vitriol aimed at an entire franchise (including non-players), particularly given that (1) it is well-documented that he didn’t really do anything; (2) statistically-inclined voters (who should continue to make up more and more of the electorate) will acknowledge that his actual production seems totally unaffected by any sort of sign-stealing advantage (home/road splits, before/after 2017, etc); and (3) he was a key player on a second WS title team.

I’m optimistic on his Hall chances. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I love Berkman, but this is dumb. Berkman was a better hitter than Rolen, but defense exists too, and Rolen is an all-time great at 3B. It is (imperfectly) measurable and accounted for in their WAR totals (both FG and B-R value his defense roughly the same).

Lance was a better hitter than a lot of guys in the HOF, he was just about 3 healthy seasons short of making it.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

He should be blamed, he started the whole deal and then brought it back after being told to stop 

😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

The argument I've seen now in some places is that, well, he might not have cheated personally, but as a team leader, he should have shut that down.

I would love to see that same standard applied to players from the steroid era. How many known users did St. Jeter play with?

Altuve with a career in pinstripes is first ballot, zero doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

At some point in time you’d like to think Justice will prevail and people will see just how unfairly Altuve has been treated and they will celebrate his glorious unique and wonderful career. 

Nah, man.  Fuck that guy.  It's a travesty that he even has a vote.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, texashorne said:

Altuve could quit baseball tomorrow and still make the HOF. The question now is whether or not he'll be 1st ballot or not. 

0.0% chance Altuve goes in first ballot.  There will be posturing about punishing a cheater, but it will fade after his first ballot or two.  He'll make it in before year 5.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ugly, will not buy …

992D3B01-3861-4631-A3C9-F12B5E968C3B.webp

our trucker hats are way better than these. 

in related news, i reached out to the screen printer about making some more and they are no longer in business, so it's a whole thing.  i am still planning to find someone and make a new batch at some point.

• Hook 'Em 4

Bailey Sports RSN going bankrupt …..

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn28x0bLDoD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Bally Sports RSN's are preparing for bankruptcy, including 12 NHL networks.

The company called Diamond Sports Group

LLC, which runs Sincalirs sports channels, is reportedly $8.6 billion in debt. Sinclair is hoping to strike a deal to help them keep the channels operating thanks to bankruptcy.

In total, Sinclair owes $55 billion in sports-media rights, according to Bloomberg. A bankruptcy could put payments to the NBA and NHL at risk. It is being reported that Sinclair will skip a $140 million interest payment due in mid-February, starting a 30-day grace period for the company.

Sinclair has launched a $20 a month subscription service to get Bally Sports networks without cable TV.

So far, though, fans seem not to be running to the service in the numbers expected.

Sinclair will likely seek to end some contracts with teams and cut back on payments to others.