2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

I think Pinder would have made more sense prior to signing Brantley (assuming they were going to add an offensive catcher instead).  I have always liked Pinder and thought he was underrated.  At this point signing him would displace Hensley or Dubon or Meyers (all of whom have higher upside than Pinder), so depending on price it is still worth exploring.

Edited by Snake Diggity

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think Pinder would have made more sense prior to signing Brantley (assuming they were going to add an offensive catcher instead).  I have always liked Pinder and thought he was underrated.  At this point signing him would displace Hensley or Dubon or Meyers (all of whom have higher upside than Pinder), so depending on price it is still worth exploring.

Dubon and Pinder - leading off / hitting 2nd,  game 3 will be fun night on the thread 

• Haha 2

Tucker makes a good point about the shift ban in that some hits that were made due to the shift won't be hits any more. So those 50 or so hits the team will gain may be offset a bit. I am interested to see how it impacts fielding for SS and 2b around the league, since the shift can help cover up some shortcomings. 

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

That bitch Keith Law ranked Hunter Brown as the 80th best project. 

Uh huh

Abreu, Brown, Garcia, Javier, Urquidy, Framber, Pena, McCormick.  All of these are home-grown dudes that played integral roles on a championship team, that I suspect were unranked (or ranked similar to Brown) on Law's list in previous years.  This isn't missing on one or two guys, he either has a bias against Houston or is just completely incapable of scouting our prospects.

Someone with more time on their hands needs to confirm this and then clearly document his inability to properly gauge the Astros system.  He's pretty combative on social media, so I imagine it would be entertaining at least.

Time for another round of easing MLB’s butthurt over  the Astros owning their asses, you say?

That’s all it is any more.  They can fuck off, especially the baseball elitists who have had their little worlds turned upside down.

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

He is such a pos. Ego driven writer that's mad cause a team didn't cater to him.

Drellich is such a giant piece of shit and it's obvious to anyone with a whiff of common sense that he made himself a part of this story because of his long-running beef with the Astros front office during his time at the Chronicle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

That was a fairly lackluster draft though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Major_League_Baseball_draft

Jeter went 6th, and none of the 5 guys ahead of him were outstanding. 

Holy shit.  TIL that Jeter wasn't the 2nd pick that year.  I always heard the story about the Astros scout quitting after we didn't take Jeter #1 and just kinda always assumed that he was the next pick.  Wild.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Abreu, Brown, Garcia, Javier, Urquidy, Framber, Pena, McCormick.  All of these are home-grown dudes that played integral roles on a championship team, that I suspect were unranked (or ranked similar to Brown) on Law's list in previous years.  This isn't missing on one or two guys, he either has a bias against Houston or is just completely incapable of scouting our prospects.

Someone with more time on their hands needs to confirm this and then clearly document his inability to properly gauge the Astros system.  He's pretty combative on social media, so I imagine it would be entertaining at least.

Nook on Clutch fans knows him. Says he’s basically gone from cutting edge 15 or so years ago (when JL offered him a job) to behind the times now, and also is hurt hurt about the Astros cutting scouts and the like. 
Has a definite agenda. 
Also he’s a big guy for Loud tools. Astros don’t have a lot of those guys. Funny thing is Brown is one, but Lae is obstinate in his belief that Brown isn’t a starter thus the low ranking. 

5 minutes ago, wood said:

nsiap ... Daaaamn. Nice pull.

It's a meme. Margot Robbie is married.

Every once in a while, a relatively simple joke goes viral on Twitter and leads to a boatload of memes from all corners of the sports world. Exactly that happened over the weekend, involving various athletes and famous actress Margot Robbie.

On Friday, a Blue Jays podcast tweeted that TMZ was reporting starting pitcher Mitch White had begun dating Robbie. However, there is no evidence anywhere that TMZ reported anything like that.

Nevertheless, the tweet went viral and has led to myriad accounts linking Robbie to their favorite sports figures.

23 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

It's a meme. Margot Robbie is married.

Every once in a while, a relatively simple joke goes viral on Twitter and leads to a boatload of memes from all corners of the sports world. Exactly that happened over the weekend, involving various athletes and famous actress Margot Robbie.

On Friday, a Blue Jays podcast tweeted that TMZ was reporting starting pitcher Mitch White had begun dating Robbie. However, there is no evidence anywhere that TMZ reported anything like that.

Nevertheless, the tweet went viral and has led to myriad accounts linking Robbie to their favorite sports figures.

That's actually pretty funny.

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:
30 minutes ago, wood said:
nsiap ... Daaaamn. Nice pull.

Come on 3putt jr lmao

Oh well. Not tryna keep up with the marital statuses of everyone in Hollywood. Like I said, nsiap. At least now I get to look at Margot Robbie in this thread.

Edited by wood