2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Gonna watch them in Pittsburgh while visiting friends. 

I know this probably doesn't necessarily pertain to you, but part of my wanting to go to stadiums to to check everything out and just FYI -

they are closing the Clemente bridge for 2023 or I would be going there instead of Minnesota.  I am going to wait until it is back open.  

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/roberto-clemente-bridge-closure-starts-monday-continues-until-dec-2023/PQPKSLLHERFMFCNBGJ5GWJGOA4/

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Any suggestions for lilshep summer road game? Since his team isn't doing a world series trip , he wants to visit Astros on the road, again. Priorities

A’s in Oakland in July you can get good seats cheap and SF is a pretty cool tourist attraction, but the ballpark sucks. That would be my #1 choice. And it will be nice and cool in the middle of the worst time of year for our weather. Yankees would be choice #2. Best game/team and NY is obviously a great town for visitors. 
Rockies in July would be fun. That would be my 3rd choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Like idea of Colorado for few days then fly to Oakland. He will want to stay at team hotel. Isn't there a hotel right across the street from colors field?

I think the team hotel in Oakland is actually in San Fran. Was that way once upon a time. No idea on Coors. 

14 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Like idea of Colorado for few days then fly to Oakland. He will want to stay at team hotel. Isn't there a hotel right across the street from colors field?

pretty sure the Astros stay in San Francisco when playing the A’s

id hit the Denver thread too 

• Like 1

Yeah price wise SF is expensive as fuck compared to a Denver trip, not that it matters for you big ballers in here, but just something to throw out there.  

AT&T park is 1000000 times better than A's shithole so I wouldn't even go to SF until you can make it when Houston plays at SF, but to each their own.  

3 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Any suggestions for lilshep summer road game? Since his team isn't doing a world series trip , he wants to visit Astros on the road, again. Priorities

I live in ABQ and will road trip to Denver for a game or two. If anyone makes the trip, post in here and we can get a little meet up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

anyone making any road trips ?

NYC at the first week  of August.

grandson's 1st birthday in Jersey... and Astros fuck up the Dorks in Pinstripes while we're there.

What's not to like?

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Catch the A’s before they move to Las Vegas 

Just wait until they move... that's a double win.

5 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

NYC in early August?  Last time we were both at the same game, um...there was a little fireworks- 3 Yordan bombs, Correa hitting the longest ball ever in Camden Yard history, and position players closing out the pitching for Baltimore in the highest scoring game for Houston...ever,

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Abreu, Brown, Garcia, Javier, Urquidy, Framber, Pena, McCormick.  All of these are home-grown dudes that played integral roles on a championship team, that I suspect were unranked (or ranked similar to Brown) on Law's list in previous years.  This isn't missing on one or two guys, he either has a bias against Houston or is just completely incapable of scouting our prospects.

Someone with more time on their hands needs to confirm this and then clearly document his inability to properly gauge the Astros system.  He's pretty combative on social media, so I imagine it would be entertaining at least.

Alright fine you roped me into responding to this terrible post. Abreu is a reliever. Starters typically are the only ones making top 100 list. Luis Garcia was ranked #67 in the 2021 list by Keith Law. Javier was never ranked in by any of the major sites for their top 50 or 100. Valdez wasn't ranked by any of the major sites. Chas wasn't ranked by any of the major sites. Urquidy wasn't ranked by Law ever and snuck onto the Baseball prospectus rankings in 2020 at #82. On the other hand calling him integral is a stretch. In the regular season he was below league average with a 98 ERA+. In the postseason his only appearance was in the McCullers blow up game IIRC. Your one victory lap would be on Pena. Baseball America had him ranked #72 in 2022 and Prospectus had him #100, #82 and #16 in the last 3 years. Law only ranked #2 on the Astros only prospects list in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This will be a crazy sports day / massive traffic jam / every restaurant and bar will be packed day, in Houston. Downtown will be insane. They’ll probably have huge events at George R Brown 

I‘m more concerned about what time ALCS game 6 on Oct 21 will be when the Horns are playing at UH.

But here’s to an Astros/Longhorns doubleheader on both of those weekends

Just now, UTexasFight said:

I‘m more concerned about what time ALCS game 6 on Oct 21 will be when the Horns are playing at UH.

Metro rail stops in front of Minute Maid and TDECU stadium. Grab a burger at Cream Burger, right by u of h stadium. 

12 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Don't need 6 games for the alcs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

NYC in early August?  Last time we were both at the same game, um...there was a little fireworks- 3 Yordan bombs, Correa hitting the longest ball ever in Camden Yard history, and position players closing out the pitching for Baltimore in the highest scoring game for Houston...ever,
Remember watching the fireworks from hotel across the street. Still have 2 baseballs from that game. Both signed by Altuve and Yordan.
  • Like 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

I’ll probably make the trip to finally catch a game at Busch.  From Tulsa, I’m in striking distance of games in KC and Arlington as well.  I’ll also make the trip to Houston for a game once they announce the dates for replica WS rings.  

you live in Tulsa, not a bad little place

Can you get me on southern hills ?

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:
No Thursday games for 7 straight weeks in April and May is interesting 

You say interesting, i say boring as fuck

“Interesting” in that I have my kids every Thursday and will have to figure out  how to have quality dad time that doesn’t involve the Astros…

I guess it’s MLB the Show for 3 hours instead…