2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

24 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Well, pardon me if I assume the owners and their front office execs have a little bit more information and forecasting expertise than you do.  I do not think teams would be doling out $300M deals like hotcakes if they thought there was any impending revenue collapse.  If anything, the spending spree would indicate the teams expect the opposite.  That said if I were making predictions, I would guess there will be a 1-2 year hiccup while things get sorted, but after that TV rights revenues would be at or above RSN levels.  There’s efficiencies to be gained by the league managing them directly and presenting them as a standalone product.

I think the bigger issue is the revenue disparity among the teams and the indications that there may be more revenue sharing coking, to the point that it would negatively impact the 2nd tier orgs like Houston.

Wasn’t saying that in a pissy way. I genuinely don’t understand it as what I see online doesn’t make sense from a rights and advertising perspective. I want other insight. 

52 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Interesting. The March 31 comment seemed pretty dire. But AT&T SportsNet will operate in 2023?

52 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Interesting. The March 31 comment seemed pretty dire. But AT&T SportsNet will operate in 2023?

I wasn’t ever worried about games being on- took that as a given, but rather more concerned with how much the Astros were getting paid as it will obviously affect the budget. I wonder how much those agreements from the distributors add up to?  Currently it’s 70M to Crane. 

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

2:30 hr games are going to suck for people standing in the concession lines. 

It will actually be interesting to see the financial impact on concessions. An hour shorter game means much less time to sell very overpriced things. Will they jack prices to compensate? To make the game more attractive to fans, they will be hurting their bottom line.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It will actually be interesting to see the financial impact on concessions. An hour shorter game means much less time to sell very overpriced things. Will they jack prices to compensate? To make the game more attractive to fans, they will be hurting their bottom line.

I doubt it. They are already priced to bring in maximum revenue. I’d they thought raising prices would bring in more money without killing demand they would, imo. 
As a Fannie you make concessions too expensive it is easier for me to buy nothing if I know I’m only there for 2:20 or 2:40 compared to 3:30. 

First-world problem, but while I love the shorter overall game time, games on TV/radio might feel a bit over-saturated with ads now.  Listened to part of yesterdays game and it seemed like Ford and Sparky were going to break every three or four minutes.  The ad-to-game-content ratio is definitely up.

Almost certainly a better experience in person, though.

Edited by Welch

36 minutes ago, Welch said:

First-world problem, but while I love the shorter overall game time, games on TV/radio might feel a bit over-saturated with ads now.  Listened to part of yesterdays game and it seemed like Ford and Sparky were going to break every three or four minutes.  The ad-to-game-content ratio is definitely up.

Almost certainly a better experience in person, though.

Sounds like…sour grapes 

6 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

It's gonna make my 2 beer limit even more appealing.  I do it because of driving and not to have to take out a reverse mortgage on my home.

I'd posit that it will not affect people's spending directly minute for minute as a loss.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I have a cap from a company meeting in 2001 with our logo on the front and "Enron Field-2001" on the back. Love to share the story with young people as a reminder of how  things can be great and Boom!  you're fucking gone.  Don't be doing screwy things.   That, and Bobby's trail car would look weird as shit full of ledgers.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I have a cap from a company meeting in 2001 with our logo on the front and "Enron Field-2001" on the back. Love to share the story with young people as a reminder of how  things can be great and Boom!  you're fucking gone.  Don't be doing screwy things.   That, and Bobby's trail car would look weird as shit full of ledgers.

went to a u of h breakfast speaker thing, fastow was the speaker. He spoke for 3 hrs, the place had to push out for their lunch crowd. That was an amazing talk 

On 12/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, Gourmand said:

Another name to keep on eye on for the OF mix is lefty hitter Justin Dirden. Dirden slashed .324/.411/.616 with 32 doubles and 20 home runs in 92 games with CC last year before getting promoted to AAA in August. Not surpisingly he struggled a bit with AAA pitching and slashed .242/.305/.398 with a higher K rate with 4 homers and 8 doubles in 32 games, but at 25 he is one of those players who could make an impression in spring training the way Hensley did last year. 

Gonna go out on a limb and bet he makes the opening day active roster as the fourth outfielder. 

7 hours ago, slorch said:

I have this thing of beauty saved in the closet.

Enron.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Would be the likely one to lose his place on the roster and it's not like he's locked a spot down anyway since the injury seemingly tanked his production and/or confidence at the plate.

I think/hope he should be better this year and build on the positives he showed in 2021.

Last year was a wasted season for him. He probably came back too soon and that threw everything off.

The Astros are going to give him and Chas every opportunity to show what they have the first half of the year before they move to other options.