2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

19 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also what’s wrong with you fuckers failing to make note of Whitley’s perfect outing?  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All sorts of can’t miss prospects skip  AAA.

Pshaw at the idea of him needing a AAA win. 

I see Wulaw might have found his 2023 player to over-hype. RIP Jake Meyers 

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what's going on with hunter's control?  he had the leadoff guy 1-2 and then walks the next 3?  is he getting squeezed?  rattled?  can't put guys away?

is anyone watching or listening?  is that even possible?

Looks like it’s on mlb.tv but not watching

He complained about the pitch clock after his first outing

will be interesting to hear what the deal is here 

Edited by UTexasFight

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Looks like it’s on mlb.tv but not watching

He complained about the pitch clock after his first outing

will be interesting to hear what the deal is here 

yeah i saw that.  which is strange considering they had it in the minors last season.  which is where he pitched most of the year, yeah?

• Hook 'Em 1

Brown called Maldonado out to the mound with a 2-1 count after he walked the first guy in the 2nd inning

sparks speculated the pitcher calling the catcher out that maybe brown was getting confused on where Maldy was setting up…

and then he proceeded to grow 2 straight balls after the visit 

but sparks did say “he’s not missing by much, is he?”

the third guy he walked in the inning he fell behind, got it 3-2, guy fouled off several pitches in a row and then brown missed high on the last pitch of his outing 

Edited by UTexasFight

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Brown called Maldonado out to the mound with a 2-1 count after he walked the first guy in the 2nd inning

sparks speculated the pitcher calling the catcher out that maybe brown was getting confused on where Maldy was setting up…

the third guy he walked in the inning he fell behind, got it 3-2, guy fouled off several pitches in a row and then brown missed high on the last pitch of his outing 

does brown speak Spanish ?

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what's going on with hunter's control?  he had the leadoff guy 1-2 and then walks the next 3?  is he getting squeezed?  rattled?  can't put guys away?

is anyone watching or listening?  is that even possible?

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hunter's control was his biggest question mark as he progressed through the system. Hopefully he can get it together. He worked himself into a jam in his outing against the Yankees in the ALCS too. 

Yeah, as stated, this has always been his issue. It’s why a lot of the prospect gurus thought (and some still think) he’ll end up in the bullpen.

20 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I hope he saw his urologist about that.

Good Astro Line tonight. Go look it up  …

brown : the Astros showed me numbers I didn’t even know you could measure. They asked if it was easy to buy in. He talked about Cole and JV both improving after being traded here. He said you can look at many pitchers here and say, their results speak for themselves 

sparky and tk : talking about the current Astros run and the players that we’ve lost - the players that have left, that’s an all star team and players keep stepping up 

sparky : maybe we have people that know they’re doing ? 

sparky : bregman showing up and being fluent in Spanish, took the locker room up a couple of notches. Altuve, Correa, yuli fully embraced him 

sparky - Astros training staff and support staff are elite in mlb 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, huge said:

It seems to me like it takes a lot longer to get food these days.  Maybe I just go to packed games.  But its an issue.

if you can't get there early, chic fil a or killen's are the two quickest options. chic fil a line, FLIES. the store in centerfield is great for drinks, peanuts and stuff. 

all the stands were slow during the college tournament. I decided to knock out nachos, since I was there >>> the lady paying, card issues and then she went back to get a drink, drink wasn't cold and had to get another drink slooooooow. lady in front of me just wanted water, card issues.

second trip was for peanuts, water and a coke. the self pay stand, didn't have peanuts. the beer stand had peanuts, so I walked over and she rang me up for 2 beer and peanuts. she couldn't clear it out, had to call a supervisor.  slooooooooooooow. all this was with a very small crowd. opening day and regular season well be ugly.

Edited by tx 3 putt

Water, peanuts/ other packaged food should never be purchased at the ballpark. Just bring it from home.

anything else , yeah you’ll have to plan a bit. Know what stands are near you, make a beeline as soon as the last out of a long inning is made and you’ll be in good shape

they should have promoted Uber eats being an option more last year. Idk what all was available through that but didn’t even realize that was an option until after the season 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Don't have those issues in the suites.

thanks for the suite invite !

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Water, peanuts/ other packaged food should never be purchased at the ballpark. Just bring it from home.

anything else , yeah you’ll have to plan a bit. Know what stands are near you, make a beeline as soon as the last out of a long inning is made and you’ll be in good shape

they should have promoted Uber eats being an option more last year. Idk what all was available through that but didn’t even realize that was an option until after the season 

hmm, I could save myself $8 very game bringing a big water hmmmm

7 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I just realized that the Astros are 27.7% of the Dominican Republic's pitching staff.

Yeah who is starting today versus Altuve?  I thought it was funny they were saying this is the "first time Altuve faces the Astros in his career" which is true, but I was thinking yeah he is going to be going against one of our scrub ass pitchers cause all the good ones are going to be in the WBC

I want to see him v Javier womp womp 

Astros still working it out with Framber Valdez, Kyle Tucker

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — This could be a big week for the world champion Astros. Potentially, three major issues could be resolved by the end of the week, though there are varying degrees of hope on each. 

Their star DH/left fielder Yordan Alvarez, whose ailing left hand hasn’t allowed him to pick up a bat all spring, is slated to begin swinging a bat on Saturday, Astros general manager Dana Brown said. 

Additionally, Brown said he’s giving contract talks “48 hours” in their attempt to lock up star pitcher Framber Valdez and star outfielder Kyle Tucker to long-term deals.

Brown got off to a nice start in his new job, securing starter Cristian Javier to a $70 million deal.

He’s still talking to the agents for Valdez and Tucker, but those deals haven’t been as easy to finalize.

Other sources suggest a pessimistic picture of the likelihood of deals now. 

“These are going to be more difficult to get done at this juncture,” Brown admitted. “It feels like they’re coming to a close. We’ll know within the next 48 hours.

“We’re communicating. It looks like we’re further away with Tucker, but we’ll see.” 

Brown wasn’t suggesting they are close with Valdez, either, only a bit closer than with Tucker.

Other sources suggest Tucker is seeking a longer deal. Brown, who came from the Braves, who have done a superb job locking up its best young players, wouldn’t confirm the number of years but said, “He’s looking for a long-term deal. At the end of the day we’re willing to secure players. But we have to meet somewhere in the middle.” 

Valdez and Tucker can become free agents after 2025. 

“We still have three more years, it’s not the end of the world if we get it done next year or the year after,” Brown said. 

The Astros were able to extend stars Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve (twice) — Brown mentioned they’d like to extend both those stars again — but they have a history of resisting the ultra-long deal.

“I understand that, and I respect that,” Brown said. “A lot of those long-term deals, they don’t end well.” 

Brown said they are now optimistic — though it remains unknown when he’ll be able to play in a game. 

While others declined to speak about Alvarez’s situation, including Alvarez, Brown suggested things are looking better to the point where Opening Day is very possible. 

“His hand is going to be fine. He’s going to start swinging the bat on Saturday and he’s going to have a bunch of time to get ready,” Brown said. “We’re optimistic about it. It just takes time.” 

Alvarez dealt with the hand issue last year and has been to several doctors.

The current diagnosis is inflammation.

Brown said there is no structural damage. 

“He’s feeling a lot better, a lot better. Almost to the point where we don’t want to rush him he’s feeling so good,” Brown said. “There’s no pain, which is great. We’re telling him we don’t want this to come back.

“Let it play out, let it completely heal so he can roll through the season.”

https://nypost.com/2023/03/07/astros-still-working-it-out-with-framber-valdez-kyle-tucker/

• Hook 'Em 2