2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Uhhhh, what?  Isn't it slower to get the ball to 2nd when trying to force the out?

But the bigger bases means the guy receiving the throw is closer so it’s a wash!

(ignore the fact that the other side of the base is closer for the runner).

46 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

For a long time now I've had this bad feeling about eventually losing Tucker, and it's only getting worse. Prove me wrong, Dana. 

3 years until that happens. Tucker hasn't been a starter that long either, giving him 10/300+ would be insane at this point. There's a lot of time to negotiate or find the next RF in the farm system before then.  Hate to lose him, but you can't fault him for chasing a big deal.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree with Connor ….

10 year deals are an albatross. If that's what Tucker wants then let him walk after (checks notes) 2025. That's three more years of him on the cheap.

Let some other stupid franchise overpay him. 

What Tucker needs to do is take 5/100 from the Astros then sign with the Angels for 10/400 and watch the playoffs on TV until he retires. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

These guys might have figured out the Astros seem to always have a next man up so they are more likely to get the big bucks somewhere else.  Why settle for a fair deal when some dumbass team like the Yankees will always overpay?

Most of the top prospects are OF in the system- almost none are IF (or LHP). From a scarcity perspective Bregman and Altuve and Frambler make the most sense. 

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

10 year deals are an albatross. If that's what Tucker wants then let him walk after (checks notes) 2025. That's three more years of him on the cheap.

Let some other stupid franchise overpay him. 

What Tucker needs to do is take 5/100 from the Astros then sign with the Angels for 10/400 and watch the playoffs on TV until he retires. 

10 year deals are an albatross for guys that are 30 or 31 when they start- not for 26 year olds. I suspect Tucker probably wants 13 or so, which would pair with what happened this off-season. 

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree with Connor ….

I agree with Dana.

Look at the Astros model, and then look at the teams who routinely give out decade long deals, and tell me again why they “have” to do something.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tucker is an extremely good player who will likely put up an MVP caliber season or two over the next 5 years.  But he’s probably not a hall of fame player and he isn’t all that rare in terms of skill set.  30/30 RF come along every few years.  But they are prone to age like anyone and they start lower on the defensive spectrum than guys who play up the middle.  As good as he is and as much as I love watching him play for the Astros, he’s not the guy I want them signing for 10 years $350M.  If Correa had a better track record for health, he would have been a good candidate for that.  If Tucker is truly intent on maxing out his next contract, let him walk.  You can do 5 Javier level extensions for 1 of what Tucker appears to be demanding.

Best I can recall, 7 years would be the longest contract in franchise history.  So offer Tucker $210M/7 and if he doesn’t bite don’t sweat it.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Tucker is an extremely good player who will likely put up an MVP caliber season or two over the next 5 years.  But he’s probably not a hall of fame player and he isn’t all that rare in terms of skill set.  30/30 RF come along every few years.  But they are prone to age like anyone and they start lower on the defensive spectrum than guys who play up the middle.  As good as he is and as much as I love watching him play for the Astros, he’s not the guy I want them signing for 10 years $350M.  If Correa had a better track record for health, he would have been a good candidate for that.  If Tucker is truly intent on maxing out his next contract, let him walk.  You can do 5 Javier level extensions for 1 of what Tucker appears to be demanding.

Best I can recall, 7 years would be the longest contract in franchise history.  So offer Tucker $210M/7 and if he doesn’t bite don’t sweat it.

He’s certainly not the hill I’d die on. I’d actually offer 10/240 which is 7/210 plus his arbitration years. 
7/210 I wouldn’t do bc that’s really a 4/45M free agent deal and I don’t like Tucker that much. I guess if the 7 started after this year that would be more like a 5/205 which is 41M per and more than I’d give him, though those are his prime years and he’d probably overperform that contract. 

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Laughing my ass off at the Yankees. Not even a fucking game has been played, and they are already down 2 of their starting pitchers in what was supposed to be a much much much better rotation than the Astros. Fuck off Yankees.

Except we’re down a SP that can’t throw strikes and a SP than can’t throw at all.

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He signed a minor league contract so it’s not really good for him. But I guess it’s better than nothing. 

i was reading that they have a couple pitchers about to go on the 60 day il or whatever, and he'll become part of the 40 man.  the "minor league" deal was just creatively getting around the silly roster rules.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yuli was easily crane’s best free agent signing, was he the franchise’s best fa signing ?

Tie. Drabek and Swindell. 

serious answer though is Nolan Ryan, Moises Alou, Yuli and Brantley are probably the Mt Rushmore. Rank them how you want. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn