2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

This is wild to me because having lived all those and more, 2019 doesn't come close to the top of my list. Yeah it sucked to lose all four home games against an inferior wild card team but I can't agree with anything but the Buffalo debacle at the top of the list, followed by the Coogs losing in '83. 

I have only this to say:

(1) 1980 Astros worse than 1986; and

(2) Mike Renfro was in bounds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I have only this to say:

(1) 1980 Astros worse than 1986; and

(2) Mike Renfro was in bounds. 

Absolutely 1980 Astros was my greatest disappointment.

First time in the playoffs, they’d always been crummy since inception, and you have prime Nolan Ryan pitching in the 8th with a 5-2 lead, win and you go to the World Series.

My young mind was blown with the possibility of the World Series right in front of us. And then it all fell apart.

Complete and utter devastation for young Victor. Nothing comes close for me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lilshep is quickly becoming a mixture of Maddux and Mariano. Played 2 games today. Closed out first game
2 innings 1 hit no walks 4 K's on 28 pitches (22 strikes)
Started 2nd game
4 innings 2 hits 1 walk 5 K's on 49 pitches (37 strikes). Had a 6 pitch inning. No runs allowed on the day.
17 innings 2 runs allowed on season in AAA. 26 punch outs on 3 walks. Strikes thrown percentage is around 70 to 75%

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Absolutely 1980 Astros was my greatest disappointment.

First time in the playoffs, they’d always been crummy since inception, and you have prime Nolan Ryan pitching in the 8th with a 5-2 lead, win and you go to the World Series.

My young mind was blown with the possibility of the World Series right in front of us. And then it all fell apart.

Complete and utter devastation for young Victor. Nothing comes close for me.

2019 hurt more than 1980

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

2019 hurt more than 1980

If not for 2017, I might agree. That WS win exorcised the demons for me. 

The fact we've had so many sports heartbreaks over the past 40-odd years is sickening. But hey...at least we're not Cleveland. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If not for 2017, I might agree. That WS win exorcised the demons for me. 

Same, and I'm honestly surprised more of us don't have the same perspective, especially the olds. 

Perhaps it's a matter of getting older and not being affected as much, but we endured so many damn heartbreaking losses in Houston sports that 2019 doesn't even register much on my sports heartbreak richter scale. Yeah I was pretty bummed about it but I still remember that feeling immediately after of still savoring the 2017 WS and thinking at least we had that one, not to mention all the playoff winning that led up to it. Shit, we couldn't win playoff dick during the Biggio/Bagwell era and yet by Halloween 2019 we'd won our first World Series and been to three consecutive ALCS, so that gut punch game 7 loss wasn't nearly as painful or permanent as the Oilers debacle or the 1980, 1986, and 1998 Astros teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Same, and I'm honestly surprised more of us don't have the same perspective, especially the olds. 

Perhaps it's a matter of getting older and not being affected as much, but we endured so many damn heartbreaking losses in Houston sports that 2019 doesn't even register much on my sports heartbreak richter scale. Yeah I was pretty bummed about it but I still remember that feeling immediately after of still savoring the 2017 WS and thinking at least we had that one, not to mention all the playoff winning that led up to it. Shit, we couldn't win playoff dick during the Biggio/Bagwell era and yet by Halloween 2019 we'd won our first World Series and been to three consecutive ALCS, so that gut punch game 7 loss wasn't nearly as painful or permanent as the Oilers debacle or the 1980, 1986, and 1998 Astros teams. 

in 1980, it was a very distant game. Box scores in the paper was your highlights. wgn and tbs weren’t a thing yet. I was lucky and could catch 740 out of hou. That post game show was my ESPN highlights.

Peña 1st is stupid. Brantley 2nd is stupid. We really are deciding to give 2 spots that should go to 2 of your best 3 hitters (cleanup being the other one of top 3 hitters) in the lineup to our 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th best hitters on the team. I mean, lineup construction isn’t that important but that doesn’t mean you should throw it away. But it’s the regular season Dusty gets to do whatever he wants. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Peña 1st is stupid. Brantley 2nd is stupid. We really are deciding to give 2 spots that should go to 2 of your best 3 hitters (cleanup being the other one of top 3 hitters) in the lineup to our 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th best hitters on the team. I mean, lineup construction isn’t that important but that doesn’t mean you should throw it away. But it’s the regular season Dusty gets to do whatever he wants. 

Pena makes outs 70% of the time. Bregman makes outs 63% of the time. Their power is a wash.

Do we want to start the game with an out less frequently or more frequently? Put another way, do we want Yordan/Tucker/Abreu to bat with runners on base less frequently or more frequently?

It’s really not complicated. Yet here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

Well, it's up to you again, Astros.

I don't know the Longhorn baseball team seems to be riding the momentum of beating a lot of shitty teams into an opening Big 12 sweep over #14 Tech. Hopefully they have turned the corner, the offense is starting to take off and outside of a few bad innings, Williams has done an excellent job with the pitching staff.