2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In case anyone is wondering Whitley is shoving tonight. 3 innings. 1 hit. No walks. 5 strike outs. I’m going to be an internet millionaire when I sell my Whitley stock when he wins a CY Young in 2025. 

He's going to make an excellent centerpiece in the upcoming Ohtani trade. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BornOrange said:

If we had not locked up McCullers, would we have signed Verlander?

Possibly, but I don't think Crane would have been willing to outbid the Mets for a 41 year old pitcher with a 2 year 86m deal, plus a third year vesting option of 35m.  There's just no way Verlander makes it through all 3 years safely. Also, the Astros current Starting Pitching pipeline is chock full of cheap guys with high upside, and they only need 1 of them to work out to save that 40m a year and use it elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Possibly, but I don't think Crane would have been willing to outbid the Mets for a 41 year old pitcher with a 2 year 86m deal, plus a third year vesting option of 35m.  There's just no way Verlander makes it through all 3 years safely. Also, the Astros current Starting Pitching pipeline is chock full of cheap guys with high upside, and they only need 1 of them to work out to save that 40m a year and use it elsewhere. 

I mean- the only 1 of them needs to work out isn't exactly right.  JV was a cy young winner and I'd say a guy like Garcia "worked out". But, if you view JV as not all that sure a bet in post season then it becomes a lot less of an issue and there is not good reason to pay him 45M a year if you don't view him as a net plus as your game 1 starter.  I don't... does anyone here?

Fangraphs projections have Astros going 89-73.  Tied with NYY for best record in AL, just behind ATL (93-69) and SDP (91-71) in the majors.

Interestingly, they have a dead heat between LAA, TEX, and SEA for 2nd in the AL West. All projected at either 83-79 or 82-80. 

OAK projected to be the worst team in the AL at 68-94.

538 has us tied with ATL for 2nd best record in MLB at 93-69. Only LAD ahead of us at 94-68. They give us the best odds of any team at winning our division.

I'm going with 94-68 and we win AL West by 8+. Hope to be as wrong as I was last year when I underbid by 14 (92-70 vs 106-56).

21 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Let's go for Julks! I was shocked the Astros left him unprotected and more shocked no one picked him!

Read a blurb about him today. He attended the same high school I did, so definitely rooting for him to succeed!