2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Bryce Harper had thumb surgery to repair a broken thumb and missed two months last year.

Deep breaths, man. Altuve isn't missing half the season. 

With the way Dusty/Astros handle playing time coming back from injuries?

we’ll be lucky to see him more than twice a week the first month or so after he’s “healthy”

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We won 108 last year. Odo was significantly involved for a while. Yuli was awful at 1B I bet Altuves replacement does better. Our DH was abysmal, we had 3 boat anchors for the last half of the year. Peña was a rookie and clueless for large stretches (he didn’t get a 99 OPS+ by being solid and consistent) and maldy and Castro combined to be the worst of the worst at the catcher spot. 
we substituted JV for Brown on a 108 team win for all practical purposes. 

Pena can’t be expected to be better just because he’s not a rookie anymore; I need to see a big jump in plate discipline  numbers to expect anything more than average production out of him. 

I’m not saying this is no longer a playoff team; just that your expectations for the 2023 season should be significantly reduced with Altuve out for 1/2 the season (hopefully less, but I’d be surprised to see him before the AS break). I think your 97.5 W number was about right before yesterday; I think it’s more like 94.5 now - still good, but significantly less good, and reasonably likely the difference between playing an extra playoff round or not.

(Not to mention that we are deprived the joy of watching Jose Altuve play baseball for 3 months.)

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Pena can’t be expected to be better just because he’s not a rookie anymore; I need to see a big jump in plate discipline  numbers to expect anything more than average production out of him. 

I’m not saying this is no longer a playoff team; just that your expectations for the 2023 season should be significantly reduced with Altuve out for 1/2 the season (hopefully less, but I’d be surprised to see him before the AS break). I think your 97.5 W number was about right before yesterday; I think it’s more like 94.5 now - still good, but significantly less good, and reasonably likely the difference between playing an extra playoff round or not.

(Not to mention that we are deprived the joy of watching Jose Altuve play baseball for 3 months.)

Oh I hate Altuve being out. I was  just expecting us to win 104-110 before brag news. Now With that and LMJ and a little Alvarez/Brantley I’ve downgraded to 98-105. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh I hate Altuve being out. I was  just expecting us to win 104-110 before brag news. Now With that and LMJ and a little Alvarez/Brantley I’ve downgraded to 98-105. 

Ok…I guess my expectations were around 95-98 before the Altuve injury, and have now been reduced by 3 or so (92-95). Perhaps I’m expecting more regression from the starting pitching than you are.

Incremental wins over 90 tend to matter a lot. 

I think we’ll be fine. I’ll miss the skipper, but Abreu should cover us production wise. What do his Aprils look like? We need a hot start. 

That includes Bregs. I know he starts slow, but we need him swinging it well early. 

It kind of feels like one of the young teams gets off to smoking hot start while the traditional powers, Yankees, Astros, Dodgers heal up. I just hope it’s the Jays or Padres and not the Mariners. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

there's already been lots of chatter about whether pena or brantley should hit in the 2 hole.  this solves that problem.

with everyone healthy (except altuve) you go pena-brantley-bregs-yordan-abreu-tucker-chas-machete-dubon/hensley.  pena will see fastballs leading off.  i worry about him hitting 7th.

• Hook 'Em 1

there's already been lots of chatter about whether pena or brantley should hit in the 2 hole.  this solves that problem.
with everyone healthy (except altuve) you go pena-brantley-bregs-yordan-abreu-tucker-chas-machete-dubon/hensley.  pena will see fastballs leading off.  i worry about him hitting 7th.
Pena getting to a near 10% walk rate would be HUGE

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Do you really think Dusty will have 3 consecutive lefties hitting in the middle of the lineup? You know how much he loves the marching lineup. 

Edited by TonyTexas

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Ok. I’m for the WBC with the new caveat that no Astro can participate. 

I saw him on the bench in the bottom of the 9th and was wondering what the hell was going on.  I mean DeRosa seems to be a grade-A dumbass but even he wouldn't pull a gold glove OF in the most crucial half inning of the tournament, right?

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

It “solves” it by creating the much larger problem of a bad leadoff hitter.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Did a pitcher die?

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

It “solves” it by creating the much larger problem of a bad leadoff hitter.

well we don't have a prototypical leadoff guy, so we might have success with someone more unorthodox.  pena scares the shit out of me at 7 with machete or chas behind him pressing and trying to make stuff happen and flailing at shit in the dirt.

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well we don't have a prototypical leadoff guy, so we might have success with someone more unorthodox.  pena scares the shit out of me at 7 with machete or chas behind him pressing and trying to make stuff happen and flailing at shit in the dirt.

Bregman has a .375 career OBP and he sees a ton of pitches. Id argue he’s actually more of a prototypical leadoff guy that Altuve, speed notwithstanding.

I don’t buy Pena pressing just because of who is behind him. Lineup protection is seriously overestimated-the numbers don’t really validate it. (And even if it is a thing, McCormick so far has actually been a better hitter than Pena, so…)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Bregman / Pena / Yordan / Tucker / Abreu / Brantley / Chas / Maldy / 2B

(I’d have Yordan 2nd but I know Dusty won’t.) 

He’ll probably have Brantley 2nd too, based on what he’s said. And he won’t have 3 lefties in a row. So I’d look for Abreu to either hit 3rd or 4th.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was going to put the first ‘fire dusty’ post 2 to 3 weeks into the season, Now I’m guessing game 1 

we shouldn’t take bets on the poster 

Point of order- nobody actually called for his firing. They said his lineup construction was buffoonish and he consistently gives us a fractionally lesser chance of winning with that and it’s really aggravating, while acknowledging it’s not the biggest deal in the world. You know- the way people who understand lineup math converse. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Man he sucked. 

Terrible draft pick and one they would not have made later in the Trackman era. They just didn't have the info on him that they learned as the technology and application of data advanced in the years after that draft. 

How’d they do on the data for Whitley?

*ducks*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1