2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

33 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Dirden's lefty bat/power potential and defense elevates him over Leon. He's going to get his chances. 

I hope he does get a chance. Y Diaz experience in 2022 says not super likely, but maybe it will happen that he gets a fair amount of time out there.  If it's just 2 weeks I'd rather he go to AAA and play every day than be a non-factor on the Astros. If he's a factor and hits against every RHP that starts then I'm pretty excited about him breaking camp with the team.  Hope you are correct

• Like 1

Local article on Reggie (fuck you, Bud Selig)

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/23/what-could-have-been-reggie-jackson-says-he-was-denied-chance-to-buy-oakland-as/

What could have been: Reggie Jackson says he was denied chance to buy Oakland A’s

Former Oakland A’s and New York Yankees star said his group, including Bill Gates and Paul Allen, was willing to pay more than anyone else

Laurence Miedema

Reggie Jackson helped put the Oakland A’s on the baseball map as a charismatic superstar player in the 1970s, but the Hall of Famer this week said he had designs on another role with the franchise — team owner.

The 76-year-old Jackson was on the “Howard Stern Show” and said that money was no object for his group, which he said included Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and he believed a deal was all but done when the A’s were up for sale in the early 2000s. Jackson suggests he had an agreement in place with then-A’s owner Ken Hofmann, and is “absolutely” convinced then-MLB commissioner Bud Selig made sure the deal didn’t happen — paving the way for the A’s to be sold to a group led by Selig’s fraternity brother at the University of Wisconsin, Lew Wolff, in 2005 for $180 million.

“It broke my heart,” Jackson said during a wide-ranging interview with Stern on Wednesday. “I went into depression for about six months.”

Jackson said his group, which also included John McCaw, the former part-owner of the NHL’s Vancouver Canucks, had enough money that, “I could have bought the National League.”

Jackson said, “In writing, I sent a letter to Ken Hofmann, who owned the A’s, that I’m willing to pay $25 million more than any bid that you get. Bud said to me, he said ‘Reggie, stay with me. I’ll guide you through. I’ll get this done for you.’

“And then all of a sudden it came out that the A’s were sold to a guy by the name of Lew Wolff — Bud Selig’s college buddy.”

Selig could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Frustrated A’s fans can only wonder what the franchise might look like now if Jackson and his group of deep pockets were in charge.

Wolff sold his shares in the team in 2016, making John Fisher the sole principal owner. With Opening Day just a week away, the team heads into another season of uncertainty — the A’s lease at the Coliseum runs out after next season, there has been no movement on a potential new stadium at Howard Terminal, and the dark cloud of a potential move to Las Vegas continues to hover over the franchise.

Jackson’s wasn’t the only group in discussions with Hofmann and Steve Schott when the team was sold in 2005. Warriors primary owner Joe Lacob has said he had a presumed deal dissolve around the same time. Lacob also says he’s had a standing offer with Fisher to buy his part of the team for more than a decade.

In his Schott’s 2022 book “Long Schott”, he wrote: “Reggie Jackson had a group that he said wanted to buy the team, with Brian Shapiro and other investors, and said they were willing to pay $25 million more than what the Fishers were offering. But by the time Reggie contacted me, we had the deal in place. It would have been great and historic for Reggie to be part of the ownership group, as the first African American owner. I had a good relationship with Reggie, having retired his No. 9 a year earlier. But I had to commit to the deal with the Fishers and baseball and couldn’t chase the last dollar.”

Jackson told Stern he was so convinced he was about to own the team he broke into the majors with and helped lead to three straight World Series titles that he was prepared to sue Selig and baseball when Wolff (Jackson says surprisingly) got the team instead of his group.

When asked if he felt his reputation as a “troublemaker” as a player was a factor in the potential deal failing, Jackson told Stern, “I absolutely believe that. And I absolutely believe that Bud was the guy involved that denied me from getting a team. I had a 100-page lawsuit drawn up, I still have the deck — about 3-4 inches thick. And there’s six inches of text messages and all that kind of stuff that went back-and-forth. I never filed it.”

Jackson said he didn’t file the lawsuit on the advice of others, who suggested there would be significant retribution from the baseball owners.

“I got scared away by some people in baseball. They said, ‘Reggie, the first thing you have to do is resign from baseball — from the Yankees. And you probably won’t get hired again. And you probably won’t this and you probably won’t that.’ And I didn’t know enough about the legal system, etc.

“I should have sued. I didn’t. It’s obviously still in my craw.”

Jackson, who spent his first nine seasons with the franchise and returned in 1987 for his final year in the majors, has appeared at numerous A’s functions at the Coliseum during the Fisher era, including last year’s celebration of the 1972 World Series team. The next likely appearance would be April 16, when the A’s honor the 1973 team that beat the Mets in the World Series for the second of Oakland’s three straight championships.

• Rage+1 2

SIAP, but some details were released today on Crane's plan to eventually open up a Ballpark Entertainment District near MMP. Likely going up across Texas, on the site where the BUS and Home Plate used to be. 2027 at the earliest.

The Houston Astros hope to start construction on a mixed-use project adjacent to Minute Maid Park as early as this Fall.

Astros owner Jim Crane told the Houston Business Journal that the organization plans to build a hotel and entertainment center connected to the stadium. Crane said the development would be similar to The Battery Atlanta in Atlanta and Ballpark Village in St. Louis. Both developments feature a number of work and entertainment options adjacent to the stadiums of their Major League Baseball team counterparts. 

The development will include a high-end, 4-star hotel, but the team has yet to secure a brand for the hotel, Crane said. The entertainment district is slated to include restaurants and an indoor tailgating area that can be used year-round. It will also include a walkway above the street, which will take guests directly to the club level of the ballpark. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/03/24/houston-astros-downtown-entertainment-center.html

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=228]Scraps[/mention] has been to both those parks…..how are those areas and do you think it work in that space ?

Yes we have always needed something like that. Both those areas at the other parks are nice. I think for that location it will probably resemble the St Louis one more, but theirs is fine.

Also I saw work going on inside Luckys the other night .....looks gutted and they were messing with the foundation so not sure what is going in there

My Roster Prediction:

C (2): Maldy, Lee

IF (6): Abreu, Hensley, Pena, Bregman, Dubon, Bannon; Bannon brings some defensive versatility since he can handle 3B, 2B, and 1B.  I could see Diaz instead of Bannon but Diaz’s ceiling is high enough to warrant putting him in AAA to refine his defense and get him everyday ABs.

OF (5): Tucker, Meyers, McCormick, Alvarez, Matijevic; Dirden would require a 40 man spot and he still struck out a ton in spring despite the gaudy slash line.  Matijevic gives them a lefty bench bat with power who can play 1B and LF.  Plus Dubon can handle OF as well as IF.

SP (5): Valdez, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown

RP (8): Blanco, Martinez, Maton, Stanek, Neris, Montero, Abreu, Pressly; can’t see anyone else over Blanco and Martinez since they optioned Gage.  Blanco will be used in a multi inning role.

I would be surprised if they made a move to add someone from outside, although I like Chad Pinder and Dusty does too; he might make sense to bring in as the 2B for a tryout while Altuve is out, but I believe in Hensley.

This is wild to me because having lived all those and more, 2019 doesn't come close to the top of my list. Yeah it sucked to lose all four home games against an inferior wild card team but I can't agree with anything but the Buffalo debacle at the top of the list, followed by the Coogs losing in '83. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

This is wild to me because having lived all those and more, 2019 doesn't come close to the top of my list. Yeah it sucked to lose all four home games against an inferior wild card team but I can't agree with anything but the Buffalo debacle at the top of the list, followed by the Coogs losing in '83. 

I agree w 2019 WS being the biggest disappointment. That team was so, so good. Last year took a little sting off of it, though. I’d put 86 NLCS next. Probably 80 NLCS after that, but I was 3 and have no recollection of it.

The Oilers game was obviously shitty, but we were accustomed to their underachievement. And while that team was good, it wasn’t all-time great like the ‘19 Astros. 

I dont specifically remember the Phi Slamma Jamma loss, though I remember how fun that team seemed.

I guess I just care way more about the Astros than any other team.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

2019 is always going to sting. A team that good should never lose Games 6 and 7 at home. 

15 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

My Roster Prediction:

C (2): Maldy, Lee

IF (6): Abreu, Hensley, Pena, Bregman, Dubon, Bannon; Bannon brings some defensive versatility since he can handle 3B, 2B, and 1B.  I could see Diaz instead of Bannon but Diaz’s ceiling is high enough to warrant putting him in AAA to refine his defense and get him everyday ABs.

OF (5): Tucker, Meyers, McCormick, Alvarez, Matijevic; Dirden would require a 40 man spot and he still struck out a ton in spring despite the gaudy slash line.  Matijevic gives them a lefty bench bat with power who can play 1B and LF.  Plus Dubon can handle OF as well as IF.

SP (5): Valdez, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, Brown

RP (8): Blanco, Martinez, Maton, Stanek, Neris, Montero, Abreu, Pressly; can’t see anyone else over Blanco and Martinez since they optioned Gage.  Blanco will be used in a multi inning role.

I would be surprised if they made a move to add someone from outside, although I like Chad Pinder and Dusty does too; he might make sense to bring in as the 2B for a tryout while Altuve is out, but I believe in Hensley.

They need to see what they have in Hensley before they make a Pinder move. I just hope Dusty doesn't get cute and plays Dubon at second 5-6 times a week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Curious if we make an offer to a cut player ….

If we're entertaining the thought of going dumpster diving for a fill-in player I would rather take a shot at Andrleton Simmons at 2B than either Pinder or Culberson.  I acknowledge he's an offensive black hole, but at least he'll put on a show in the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If we're entertaining the thought of going dumpster diving for a fill-in player I would rather take a shot at Andrleton Simmons at 2B than either Pinder or Culberson.  I acknowledge he's an offensive black hole, but at least he'll put on a show in the field.

If the surgery / recovery is more serious than what’s been shared, they’re going to look outside the org

imo 

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If we're entertaining the thought of going dumpster diving for a fill-in player I would rather take a shot at Andrleton Andrelton Simmons at 2B than either Pinder or Culberson.  I acknowledge he's an offensive black hole, but at least he'll put on a show in the field.

Never could get that dude's name right.

Looks like in the WBC he had an OPS higher than Devers and Pete Alonso so he's fucking back, baby.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

33 minutes ago, Scraps said:
3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

everything north of emancipation is closing due to the I45 toll lane expansion 

This makes no sense

*st Emmanuel , not emancipation

game parking will be fuuuucked for several seasons 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

None of those guys add any value whatsoever. Over the last 3 seasons, for instance, those 3 guys have combined for 1.3 total fWAR. I see no reason to add spare parts from other teams rather than just rolling with what’s in the organization. You can’t be any more worthless, even if you completely suck.

• Hook 'Em 2