2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

What's the latest on AT&T Sportsnet?  I thought they weren't going to broadcast the season, but haven't heard anything in awhile.

The Astros and Rockets will buy it up, as they still have contracts with 3 major carriers until 2032. David Barron doesn't believe the Astros/Rockets will offer a streaming deal because they wouldn't make enough money off of it, but I don't see how they can sit still when people are leaving cable behind. Supposedly it was at 1.5M subs between the Big 3 when it launched and was down to under 900K when they decided to pull the plug. I think that was just the local TV sets that were paying $6 a month to AT&T.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2023 at 9:40 AM, Gourmand said:

This is wild to me because having lived all those and more, 2019 doesn't come close to the top of my list. Yeah it sucked to lose all four home games against an inferior wild card team but I can't agree with anything but the Buffalo debacle at the top of the list, followed by the Coogs losing in '83. 

The 1992 Bills loss was meaningless.  That team could not play defense.  Then in the offseason Adams fired Jim Eddy and brought in Buddy Ryan.  The 1993 team, once Ryan got the defense installed, was far superior.  The loss to Joe Montana and Chiefs at home in the playoffs hurt a lot more than the Bills loss.  That 1993 team could have done something.  The defense was filthy.

• Like 1

Really hoping he makes the active roster. I think it's bullshit that his chances are so drastically affected by the 40-man implications and trade acquisition scrubs like Bligh Madris who has been DFA'd multiple times. Dirden > Madris but because we traded for Madris for cash he automatically gets a 40-man spot over a more promising player like Dirden. But that's just one asshole's opinion.....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Really hoping he makes the active roster. I think it's bullshit that his chances are so drastically affected by the 40-man implications and trade acquisition scrubs like Bligh Madris who has been DFA'd multiple times. Dirden > Madris but because we traded for Madris for cash he automatically gets a 40-man spot over a more promising player like Dirden. But that's just one asshole's opinion.....

He still struck out 13 times in 34 AB this spring.  So yes he hit for power and probably looked better on defense than expected but his spring performance didn’t allay any concerns about his major wart.  He needs to go to AAA and show he can keep his k rate at a reasonable level.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think Julks is more deserving a shot

You may be right and they are very close, but I prefer Dirden's lefty bat + power potential by a slim margin. Julks has a bit of an edge in AAA at bats and steadiness wrt OBP and K rate so Dirden might need some more looks at AAA. Regardless, they have some good OF options that I think are better than Madris. 

Julks 2023 Spring Training: 44 PA 11 H 3 2B 1 3B 2 HR 12 RBI 3 BB 8 K .275/.318./.550/.868

Dirden 2023 Spring Training: 40 PA 11 H 4 2B 0 3B 2 HR 4 RBI 5 BB 13 K .324/.425/.618/1.043

54 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You may be right and they are very close, but I prefer Dirden's lefty bat + power potential by a slim margin. Julks has a bit of an edge in AAA at bats and steadiness wrt OBP and K rate so Dirden might need some more looks at AAA. Regardless, they have some good OF options that I think are better than Madris. 

Julks 2023 Spring Training: 44 PA 11 H 3 2B 1 3B 2 HR 12 RBI 3 BB 8 K .275/.318./.550/.868

Dirden 2023 Spring Training: 40 PA 11 H 4 2B 0 3B 2 HR 4 RBI 5 BB 13 K .324/.425/.618/1.043

318 OBP is not our standard. It's my biggest problem with Pena. We don't need both our middle IF to be collectively around 300 OBP. Is that a small sample size anomoly or is Julks not a fan off drawing the walks?

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

318 OBP is not our standard. It's my biggest problem with Pena. We don't need both our middle IF to be collectively around 300 OBP. Is that a small sample size anomoly or is Julks not a fan off drawing the walks?

SSS, Julks has routinely been .080+ between his average and obp in the minors. That is very good, elite is usually in the .100+ range.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

The 1992 Bills loss was meaningless.  That team could not play defense.  Then in the offseason Adams fired Jim Eddy and brought in Buddy Ryan.  The 1993 team, once Ryan got the defense installed, was far superior.  The loss to Joe Montana and Chiefs at home in the playoffs hurt a lot more than the Bills loss.  That 1993 team could have done something.  The defense was filthy.

Montana burned a blitz for their first TD and Buddy Ryan turtled the rest of the game

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was at this game, it sucked 

Me too, and it sucked even though I sat next to Neil Smith's mom and sister and got to meet him and Joe Montana after the game.  But it's crazy to me to think that anyone thinks that loss was more soul crushing than losing a 35-3 lead.  

I don’t see how Yainer Diaz isn’t a top 25 prospect.  The guy is legit talented behind the plate in a way that he often doesn’t credit for and is simply a damn good hitter. Maybe not the most disciplined hitter, but he can hit some pretty tough shit and hit it hard. 

If he simply commits himself to developing as a primary catcher I could see him putting up 5+ WAR seasons. He has that kind of ceiling. 

10 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I don’t see how Yainer Diaz isn’t a top 25 prospect.  The guy is legit talented behind the plate in a way that he often doesn’t credit for and is simply a damn good hitter. Maybe not the most disciplined hitter, but he can hit some pretty tough shit and hit it hard. 

If he simply commits himself to developing as a primary catcher I could see him putting up 5+ WAR seasons. He has that kind of ceiling. 

the poor old Astros and their talentless farm system will have to get by, somehow 

he also plays of 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This team fucks, I can't wait for Thursday.

Between the proven studs at the plate, stud arms in the rotation and bullpen, and promising young talent on the cusp of kicking ass (Diaz, Brown, Dirden, Hensley, Julks, Gilbert, Melton) I see another 100+win season this year and next.

What a f'n juggernaut. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We were just ranked #1 in the "26 and under" Power Rankings.  We're such a lucky fucking fanbase to get to experience this run, which appears to be nowhere close to over.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/mlb-26-and-under-power-rankings-no-1-houston-astros

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Fangraphs has him ranked #79 overall as a 50 FV prospect - meaning an average MLB starter. Their #39-100 are all considered 50 FV prospects, so that could be considered a tier, with the difference between any of them being very minor, perhaps negligible (but rankings get clicks).

I think that’s fair. He’s 25…top prospect lists are always going to be dominated at the top by the young, tooled-up guys or the highly-drafted college players who are big-league ready.

Anyway, one thing I really like about the Fangraphs prospect list is that they include a “probability of outcomes” chart for each guy, which provides more context (not sure how they’re calculated, but I’d assume it’s based on age, performance in minors across key metrics like K rate, etc). For Diaz, they have him as about a 25% chance of being a 50/55, 15% chance of being a 60/65 (all-star-ish), and about a 10% chance of being a 70+ (MVP-ish). That feels about right to me, and if you told me right now he’ll be an average MLB starter, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Fangraphs has him ranked #79 overall as a 50 FV prospect - meaning an average MLB starter. Their #39-100 are all considered 50 FV prospects, so that could be considered a tier, with the difference between any of them being very minor, perhaps negligible (but rankings get clicks).

I think that’s fair. He’s 25…top prospect lists are always going to be dominated at the top by the young, tooled-up guys or the highly-drafted college players who are big-league ready.

Anyway, one thing I really like about the Fangraphs prospect list is that they include a “probability of outcomes” chart for each guy, which provides more context (not sure how they’re calculated, but I’d assume it’s based on age, performance in minors across key metrics like K rate, etc). For Diaz, they have him as about a 25% chance of being a 50/55, 15% chance of being a 60/65 (all-star-ish), and about a 10% chance of being a 70+ (MVP-ish). That feels about right to me, and if you told me right now he’ll be an average MLB starter, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

IF he's an average MLB starter as a catcher I'd take it in a heartbeat. IF it's as a LF or 1B I'd just as soon send him on his way.  

Allegedly he has little to no interest in doing the things it takes to become a good catcher, so I'm not going to place as high a hopes on him as I'm going to on a pure prospect that acts with professionalism at all times like Forest Whitley. 

• Haha 1