2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Define very good team. 90 wins would be my cut

line for that. 
that’s Houston, NYY, Cleveland, Toronto, Seattle, dodgers, Mets, Braves, Padres, Cards

Who exactly from that group is he a number 3 for?  Maybe Toronto, but they’ve got 2 other guys with more pedigree they are paying more for that had down years. Cards?  I don’t know, maybe. 

He starts game 4 at best for most of them, but. It Braves or Yanks or Dodgers or us if  everyone is healthy. He’s a great 5 for a really good team, a perfectly fine 4 if you want to win 95 or 100 games and probably a stretch as a #3

If Baltimore, CWS, Boston, San Fran or some other .500-ish club sees Urquidy as that missing link to the postseason, there could be a fair return. But I don't know that they do...or what they might have that's of value to us in return. 

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nice, so according to you the team that played in the World Series from the National League wasn't a very good team because they finished with under 90 wins.

Well seeing as how a team with less than 90 wins in a full season has only won it all 5 times I would say that typically that's an accurate barometer of a very good team. I mean literally the Phillies had to fire their manager they were so bad at one point. They did also lose their best player for a good bit of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

let's see your predictions ...

AL East - Toronto 

AL Cen - Cleveland

AL West - Houston

WC - Seattle and Yankees

NL East - Braves

NL Cen - Cardinals 

NL West - Dodgers

WC - Phillies and Brewers 

I reserve the right to make changes after free agency concludes 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Nice, so according to you the team that played in the World Series from the National League wasn't a very good team because they finished with under 90 wins.

No they were not.  Very good teams don't come in 3rd place.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah dude. Quality in baseball is measured over months at a time, not a 3, 5 or 7 day sample size. The A’s best us 3 in a row. I’d that was a WC series or ALCS they’d have swept us. Doesn’t make them a good team. 
And even for all that you proved my point for me. The shittiest playoff team- #14 of all teams in MLB (out of 30 teams so not “very good” imo) wouldn’t even have him as a 3rd starter. That would be Ranger dipshit- whose numbers across the board are better than his (and who even shut us down in a game) in a tougher ballpark to pitch in against a better schedule. 
so, yeah. 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yet the Cubs were ready to trade one of the best catchers in the majors for him.

For 2 months dude. Which we already said was a bad deal. You are literally talking about Alcock agreeing to trade him for 1 WAR total in competition- for 3 years of club control. Does tang really scream “super valuable return” to you? 

4 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Baltimore, CWS, Boston, San Fran or some other .500-ish club sees Urquidy as that missing link to the postseason, there could be a fair return. But I don't know that they do...or what they might have that's of value to us in return. 

Yep. And that’s the point I was  making. That valuable thing would almost have to be a prospect. If they are trading for a Urquidy they are going for it. If they are going for it they can’t weaken their team at the MLB level because they are already so marginal. So it would have to be a prospect. Teams as good as the Astros typically trade prospects away to win now they don’t typically trade above average MLB players for Prospects. That makes it a tricky deal all around. 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

let's see your predictions ...

AL East - Toronto 

AL Cen - Cleveland

AL West - Houston

WC - Seattle and Yankees

NL East - Braves

NL Cen - Cardinals 

NL West - Dodgers

WC - Phillies and Brewers 

I reserve the right to make changes after free agency concludes 

You forgot a WC bro. We have 3 of them now. We just played the 3rd WC from the NL. 

mets, Brewers, Dodgers

WC- Braves, Pads, Giants 

Blue Jays, White Sox, Astros

WC- Yanks, M’s, Red Sox. 

My moves would be - 

Click can leave (if he doesn't whatever, but there is obvious disfunction between him and Crane so goodbye)

Sign Verlander (Would really love this to happen, but it really isn't a necessity.  If it works out great, if not we will be fine)

Get Abreu  (Of course love Yuli, but I don't want him playing 1st every day any longer.  I would love for him to be able to play with his brother, not sure it would work in Toronto, but they need to be on the same team somewhere.  Now if we made a trade for Lourdes to play LF I could rethink my thoughts on this because I think Yuli would be energized to play with his bro)

LF is the spot where I don't really know what I would do, but I know what I wouldn't do.  I don't want any part of Gallo, Benintendi, Joc Pederson or AJ Pollock.  Brantley is an old slap hitter who is coming off of injury.  I wouldn't be opposed to Profar for the right price, even though he does some stupid ass stuff (but hey so does our HOF 2B).  Really don't want Yordan out there 120 games.  Don't want Chas(LF) and Meyers(CF) playing at the same time.  Don't really see any good options coming up within the system for next season.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Click is a good capable front office personnel guy for a majority of the big league teams who doesn't see eye to eye with his current owner, so it makes sense for there to be an amicable parting of the ways, with a nice pat on the back, and a world series ring, on his way out the door.  I would be surprised if this hasn't already been in the works for weeks or months.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Scraps said:

My moves would be - 

Click can leave (if he doesn't whatever, but there is obvious disfunction between him and Crane so goodbye)

Sign Verlander (Would really love this to happen, but it really isn't a necessity.  If it works out great, if not we will be fine)

Get Abreu  (Of course love Yuli, but I don't want him playing 1st every day any longer.  I would love for him to be able to play with his brother, not sure it would work in Toronto, but they need to be on the same team somewhere.  Now if we made a trade for Lourdes to play LF I could rethink my thoughts on this because I think Yuli would be energized to play with his bro)

LF is the spot where I don't really know what I would do, but I know what I wouldn't do.  I don't want any part of Gallo, Benintendi, Joc Pederson or AJ Pollock.  Brantley is an old slap hitter who is coming off of injury.  I wouldn't be opposed to Profar for the right price, even though he does some stupid ass stuff (but hey so does our HOF 2B).  Really don't want Yordan out there 120 games.  Don't want Chas(LF) and Meyers(CF) playing at the same time.  Don't really see any good options coming up within the system for next season.  

I doubt it’s reasonable with them being very close to competing for the WS but Lourdes would be a great target: I think Urquidy would be their number 3 or even possibly their number 2 behind Gausman.

Urquidy, Meyers and Jayden Murray or Jaime Melendez might get it done.

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TonyTexas said:

How about have Yuli take over the Diaz role?  He can probably play any infield spot adequately and maybe even LF in a pinch. 

I mean I would much rather have Yuli on the team over Diaz, just don't know if that is a role for him.  

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

My moves would be - 

I would vote for you for GM if you ran on this agenda. 

You don't part ways with your GM or your manager after you win a WS.  Both guys will be back, and I'm fine with that.  Click has yet to prove he can make the right moves on his own, but both he and Dusty did the most important thing they could do - not fuck up a good thing.

I think we should bring back JV.  I'd even give him a three-year deal to possibly lower the AAV.  3 for 85M? Keep him here while the window is open.  If we re-sign JV then that makes Garcia or Urquidy tradeable for one of the other pieces we need.

We need an upgrade at 1B and LF.  We need a lefty reliever.  We need a backup catcher.  I don't think Lee is it.

Honestly, we could do nothing over the winter and roll into spring training and opening day with just who we have now. Make extending Tuck and Yordan the priorities this offseason. Give Y. Diaz a shot at 1B.  Give Meyers another shot at CF.  We've got guys like Paredes and Martinez who can fill out the bullpen.  Evaluate the deficiencies at the trade deadline and add the pieces you need to win it all.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

How about have Yuli take over the Diaz role?  He can probably play any infield spot adequately and maybe even LF in a pinch. 

Man- I can’t imagine him playing SS and even 3B I think those days are probably numbered. Could he spend a few days at MMP standing out in Lf (especially when a guy like Framber or LMJ pitch that don’t give up a lot of fly balls) and not embarrass himself?  Sure. No problem. That means with Hensley unable to play SS you have to keep dipshit Dubon (and actually pay him I think) which I’d rather not have to do, but whatever. The main thing is Yuli, if he comes back, probably doesn’t need to play more than twice a week and probably only against LHP. If that’s his role, he’s cool with it, the knee injury isn’t too bad (not structural with surgery required) and he’s willing to do it for 2 or 3M?  Sure. Why not. But that’s a lot if it’s and I doubt it all goes down like that and everyone is onboard. 

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

We need a backup catcher.  I don't think Lee is it.

See with catcher I think you go into the season with either Lee or Diaz as your backup and play them 2 out of 5 starts.  We got to see if they have what it takes, because one of them really should be the starting catcher in 2024. 

If they both suck ass then go grab someone for backup at the deadline again to make the playoff run.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I understand why Crane said his first call would be to JV given we have until Thursday to negotiate with him before other teams can. But I think the first call needs to be to Tucker to try to extend him now or at least get an idea of what an extension would look like when his contract is up in after 2025. Then I think you need to decide what you will likely do with Bregs and Altuve when their contracts are up after 2024.

Those data points should drive any offer we make to JV. I'd love to have him back, but, as crazy as it sounds, resigning him does not extend our window in the way that extending Tucker would, and JV's contract, depending on how many years he's seeking, will affect what we can do there as well as with Bregs and Altuve. I'd love to bring him back on a 2 year deal with a mutual/player option for the third, but you need to have a plan for Bregs and Altuve to account for that option year and need to know what Tucker will cost to offer anything beyond 3 years. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I mean I would much rather have Yuli on the team over Diaz, just don't know if that is a role for him.  

Radio guys talked about this too. Yuli was mostly short stop and some 3rd. He started playing 1st here. That’s very Swiss Army knife and would be an upgrade over Diaz 

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t think there’s any way any team offers Verlander a contract longer than 3 years.

lot of bad gm’s out there. Look at the bAd contracts handed out by phillies, met’s, Yankees and rangers just to name a few. Someone will offer him 3 years 

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I don' think there isn't any way his contract doesn't end up with 2yr deal with opt out after year 1.

I expect him to get 2 as well at around $40 mil/yr. Basically a similar deal to the one for 2020-21 but at higher AAV. I don’t know that the opt out is necessary, that seemed to be injury related and he’s not likely to get any more on the open market if he’s already being paid at the top.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lot of bad gm’s out there. Look at the bAd contracts handed out by phillies, met’s, Yankees and rangers just to name a few. Someone will offer him 3 years 

Somebody might offer him 3, a la Scherzer. No one is going to offer more than 3 (which is what I said).

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

I doubt it’s reasonable with them being very close to competing for the WS but Lourdes would be a great target: I think Urquidy would be their number 3 or even possibly their number 2 behind Gausman.

Urquidy, Meyers and Jayden Murray or Jaime Melendez might get it done.

not a fan of trading a quality pitcher to a team very close to making a world series run. if toronto signs a vet bat like brantley, make a run at verlander, they become a very scary team

46 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sounds like Trey would gladly exercise his side of the mutual option. 

If veterans want to start taking pay cuts to come to Houston to chase titles like the old Detroit Red Wings let's get it but idk about Mancini

• Hook 'Em 1