2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

I don' think there isn't any way his contract doesn't end up with 2yr deal with opt out after year 1.

Someone is going to offer him 3/120.  I don't have any idea why he wouldn't take that. Scherzer got it- JV will too.   He's coming off a Cy Young season.  That someone won't (can't?) be us I don't think.  Not when you have 6 other guys that are above average MLB starters, 2 that are bonified aces (Framber and Javier) and 2 more that could be aces- or at least #2 types (LMJ and Brown).   if he does another 2 year deal with an opt out after 1 I'd be sort of surprised.  It would basically signal that he loves HTown and probably wants to stay here on 1 and 1 type deals for the rest of his career.  

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sounds like Trey would gladly exercise his side of the mutual option. 

He was penciled in for 3/42 or 3/48 type deal. I can't see any way he gets that after how bad his last 3 months at the plate were. It will be a fascinating deal watching him in the offseason.  I would still think he could get 2/25 somewhere so 1/10 seems light.  He might view that as a prove it deal and be willing to do it, but it would be a big surprise to me. 

Now that I’m home from the parade I feel like I can finally post on this thread. 

Still basking in the unreal glow of winning. My favorite part of the parade (we were in Midtown) was when people were confused with the trophy in the float towards the end with Crane, Altuve, JV, Turner, Kate, etc. “The trophy already went by! What’s up with that? Oh yeah!  WE HAVE TWO, BITCHES!!!!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And here’s what I’ve heard from my various well placed sources.

JV wants more than Scherzer, that’s his goal. Crane’s gonna pay it. What exactly that means for length of the contract I’m not sure, but exceeding Scherzer’s per year headline number is his goal.

They don’t want Espada to be the next manager and him not getting hired by the White Sox fucked up a one-year succession plan of bringing in the target to be the bench coach under Dusty.  

I haven’t heard anything on the GM other than what I relayed about Click not wanting to sign Brantley or Gurriel, and Crane overriding him. That story combined with the Urquidy/Contreras news I think tells us all we need to know. Whether it will be Stearns, Sig or someone else I have no clue, haven’t heard anything on that front. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

JV wants more than Scherzer, that’s his goal. Crane’s gonna pay it. What exactly that means for length of the contract I’m not sure, but exceeding Scherzer’s per year headline number is his goal.

For reference, Scherzer’s deal is 3/$130M, with year 3 being a player’s option. IMHO, that’s too much and not necessary with the rotation depth they have. That money can make a big dent towards extensions for Tucker, Framber, Javier and maybe Garcia and/or Peña. Which would extend our window more than 3 more years of 40+ year old JV. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

And here’s what I’ve heard from my various well placed sources.

They don’t want Espada to be the next manager and him not getting hired by the White Sox fucked up a one-year succession plan of bringing in the target to be the bench coach under Dusty.  

I haven’t heard anything on the GM other than what I relayed about Click not wanting to sign Brantley or Gurriel, and Crane overriding him. That story combined with the Urquidy/Contreras news I think tells us all we need to know. Whether it will be Stearns, Sig or someone else I have no clue, haven’t heard anything on that front. 

I can’t see how you give JV 45M a year, but it’s not my money so whatever. If we do that though we damn sure better be committed to spending up to the tax line and not leaving 35M unspent bc we got some holes to fill. 

22 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

if true, he can sign during the 5 day period. Settled 

21 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah no team does lol. That's why I am kind of shocked that so many here wanted him to be next manager......oh wait no I'm not.

I haven't kept up with the rumors on Espada.  Obviously, its a red flag that these other orgs aren't hiring him, but if he's not good, why are we keeping him?

6 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I haven't kept up with the rumors on Espada.  Obviously, its a red flag that these other orgs aren't hiring him, but if he's not good, why are we keeping him?

Maybe he's a solid bench coach and the players like him. That would be my guess at least

8 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I mean not everyone is cut out to run the ship. He is in a role that really doesn't have much decision making at all so he is fine there

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I can’t see how you give JV 45M a year, but it’s not my money so whatever. If we do that though we damn sure better be committed to spending up to the tax line and not leaving 35M unspent bc we got some holes to fill. 

I could see giving him $45mm for 2023. But yeah, not sure I’d guarantee anything beyond that.

I’ve been hoping for a 2 year / $75mm type of thing. Sounds like that may not be happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

mets top targets .... also potential astro top targets 

1. Jose Abreu. His power dropped (15 homers) in his age-35 season. But he remained a terrific hitter (.324 average, 40 doubles). And there is this: There were 100 players who had at least 50 plate appearances against pitchers in the top 25 OPS against (minimum 100 innings) and Abreu’s .359 batting average was the best (Jeff McNeil was second) and his .904 OPS was sixth (Marte was second). He will hit good pitching. 

Plus, he has the reputation as a terrific clubhouse presence. I believe like Chili Davis and Nelson Cruz (also elder statesmen) that Abreu’s bat will stay productive into his late-30s, so a two- or three-year deal works. And he probably remains a better first baseman than Pete Alonso so can go into the field when necessary. 

2. Michael Brantley. This is about the physical. Period. He had shoulder surgery in August that cost Brantley the rest of the season/postseason. If the medicals come back clean, Brantley is super attractive because he can probably be had on a one-year deal coming off his age-35 season. 

He is a lefty DJ LeMahieu — just a professional at-bat. He is postseason tested. His rep as a leader also proceeds him. He can play left field when necessary. If Nimmo departs and the Mets opened their lineup with Marte leading off followed by Brantley, they would be fine. 

This list is hilarious

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-2022-rookies-based-on-long-term-value?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

OK, Pena is 14th among rookies based on "long term value."  He has already accomplished more in one season than probably most of the guys on the list ahead of him ever will in their entire careers.  Fucking prospect rankings. 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, runthebone said:

This list is hilarious

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-2022-rookies-based-on-long-term-value?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

OK, Pena is 14th among rookies based on "long term value."  He has already accomplished more in one season than probably most of the guys on the list ahead of him ever will in their entire careers.  Fucking prospect rankings. 

accomplished more than than ... trout, ohtani, judge 

40 minutes ago, runthebone said:

This list is hilarious

Pena is the only player ever to win a GG, CS MVP, and a WS MVP. Let alone do it in the same season. The only thing that hurts Pena is he's already 25.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I could see giving him $45mm for 2023. But yeah, not sure I’d guarantee anything beyond that.

I’ve been hoping for a 2 year / $75mm type of thing. Sounds like that may not be happening.

I would offer Correa’s Twins contract.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not sure what type of deal he would be looking for given that he declined his $16M option with the Yankees, but thoughts on bringing in Rizzo to play 1B?

He had a 131 OPS+ last season and a 127 OPS+ for his career. His defensive numbers seem to have dropped off since joining the Yankees, so he would likely be a significant downgrade from Yuli in that sense. 

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm not sure what type of deal he would be looking for given that he declined his $16M option with the Yankees, but thoughts on bringing in Rizzo to play 1B?

He had a 131 OPS+ last season and a 127 OPS+ for his career. His defensive numbers seem to have dropped off since joining the Yankees, so he would likely be a significant downgrade from Yuli in that sense. 

Defensive metrics are a bit more tricky to begin with, and a single year is particularly noisy. But if you are looking at his, you need to go look at Yuli’s too-you might be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

You do realize that Gurriel was one of the worst defensive 1B last year.

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Bringing the gang back  But only for next year  

Winning cures all but Click better keep an eye on his cornhole all next year. If your boss says spend, so fucking spend some money, you cheap son of a bitch 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4