2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

Winning a World Series and then replacing both the manager and GM would have been wild to see and added to the Astros lore for better or worse. I didn’t think it would happen.
I really hoped it wouldn't happen and am relieved at the news. I also think it would reflect poorly on the organization at a time when everyone should still be partying and smiling.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm curious to see if the Astros go after Christian Walker, he'd be a great fit I think with his power hitting ability, and his spray chart would play well at MM. Gold glove defense at first base.

Get it done, Click!

ETA: Also in his first year of arb eligibility this year so he's under team control through 2024 and the Dbacks were rumored to be open to trading him prior to the trade deadline.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

Enjoying the hell out of all the social media posts by MLB. Get on our nuts. Forget about LA and NY. 

Did I really see that Peña isn't even a finalist for AL ROY??  Some randoms form Cle and Bal are though. Wtf. 

I love Pena, but his .289 OBP ensured that he wouldn’t fare well in voting.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's stupid the AL Gold Glove winning shortstop isn't a finalist for AL ROY.  It's not like he was Machete-bad at the plate. 

And Dusty not making the cut for manager of the year is criminal while that clown Roberts does for the NL.

Baseball sportswriters are the dumbest motherfuckers in sports media.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I'm curious to see if the Astros go after Christian Walker, he'd be a great fit I think with his power hitting ability, and his spray chart would play well at MM. Gold glove defense at first base.

Get it done, Click!

ETA: Also in his first year of arb eligibility this year so he's under team control through 2024 and the Dbacks were rumored to be open to trading him prior to the trade deadline.

strom knows our pitching prospects like no other 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

And Dusty not making the cut for manager of the year is criminal while that clown Roberts does for the NL.

Counterpoint... anyone of us idiots on this site could have managed this Astros club to a WS win.  But you are correct that it makes no sense that Roberts is nominated in the NL. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:
2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:
Winning a World Series and then replacing both the manager and GM would have been wild to see and added to the Astros lore for better or worse. I didn’t think it would happen.

I really hoped it wouldn't happen and am relieved at the news. I also think it would reflect poorly on the organization at a time when everyone should still be partying and smiling.

Getting rid of Click would have been a cold blooded Darth Astros, we only care about winning, move I would have loved. The team bailed Click out because his trade deadline moves left a lot to be desired. Bring Sig, Stearns or what I want the most — the GOAT back to Htown.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Guys, sorry if already posted. Would Rizzo be a good replacement if Gurriel goes elsewhere. Be curious to hear from some of you that follow this stuff more closely than I do. Thanks.

Absolutely.

Of the 12 qualified AL 1B Gurriel ranked

Last in WAR at -0.9

Last in wOBA at .285

Last in wRC+ at 85

Next to last in defense at -16.3

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Get it done, Click!

I'd like Walker a lot. For a power hitter he has above league average BB% and below league avg K%. His plate discipline has gotten much better over the course of his career.

56 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Enjoying the hell out of all the social media posts by MLB. Get on our nuts. Forget about LA and NY. 

Did I really see that Peña isn't even a finalist for AL ROY??  Some randoms form Cle and Bal are though. Wtf. 

Adley Rutschman is hardly a random. He might already be the best catcher in baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Radio has a interesting view on things, was click’s one year offer extended, expecting him to say no and move on. 

also, can’t find it yet but they’re referencing an articles about bagwell having a growing influence on crane and the org. Bagwell is very anti analytics and such, not sure I want him having a say 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd like Walker a lot. For a power hitter he has above league average BB% and below league avg K%. His plate discipline has gotten much better over the course of his career.

He doesn’t look like much of an upgrade over Mancini, imo.  Surely we can do better. 

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Absolutely.

Of the 12 qualified AL 1B Gurriel ranked

Last in WAR at -0.9

Last in wOBA at .285

Last in wRC+ at 85

Next to last in defense at -16.3

Thanks. I knew that he didn't have a good year at the plate, but I am surprised that his defense was that bad. It seemed like he was making great defensive plays every game.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Radio has a interesting view on things, was click’s one year offer extended, expecting him to say no and move on. 

also, can’t find it yet but they’re referencing an articles about bagwell having a growing influence on crane and the org. Bagwell is very anti analytics and such, not sure I want him having a say 

Deciding to abandon an analytical culture that he implemented and which has resulted in an historic and unprecedented run of success would be quite a decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

What makes you think Bagwell is anti-analytics or that Crane would be unduly influenced by a Bagwell distrustful of data and prone to superstitious belief?

It appears to me that Bagwell’s game was always incorporating the data at the time; remember, he played with lots of contemporaries that had to change their game and recognize the value of walks and it seems like he was an early adopter there.  

I think Click is actually a little anti-saber, at least in comparison to Luhnow and I appreciate that about him.  I think Luhnow’s shrinking of the scouting department was over aggressive.  

I also agree that a one year extension to Click is an invitation to move on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol Crane's not stupid. He ain't listening to Bagwell
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

He doesn’t look like much of an upgrade over Mancini, imo.  Surely we can do better. 

We can do better than an elite defensive 1B with above average BB%, K%, and ISO? Lulz.

I like Mancini a lot, but it's likely he never returns to player he was before cancer.

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

He is a much better upgrade over Mancini. Go look at their baseball savant MLB percentile rankings and it's pretty clear Walker is a better player. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We can do better than an elite defensive 1B with above average BB%, K%, and ISO? Lulz.

I like Mancini a lot, but it's likely he never returns to player he was before cancer.

I think you’re putting too much stock in 2022 numbers.  If he was four years younger I might be more amenable on the possibility of him repeating that.  

I’m not a Mancini fan, I’m just pointing out that if you’re trying to upgrade and one is only going to cost you $10m and the other will cost prospects and isn’t more of a sure thing then the bar is higher.  

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think you’re putting too much stock in 2022 numbers.  If he was four years younger I might be more amenable on the possibility of him repeating that.  

I’m not a Mancini fan, I’m just pointing out that if you’re trying to upgrade and one is only going to cost you $10m and the other will cost prospects and isn’t more of a sure thing then the bar is higher.  

Prospects. Let's not get into this discussion again. Please remind me of the combined WAR of the prospects we gave up for Verlander. Same with Greinke.

We have plenty of prospects to trade for Walker that wouldn't affect our window in any way shape or form. Hell, we need to clear 40-man spots for some of our better prospects. We could get Walker for a package of the arms that didn't make our post-season roster.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Getting rid of Click would have been a cold blooded Darth Astros, we only care about winning, move I would have loved. The team bailed Click out because his trade deadline moves left a lot to be desired. Bring Sig, Stearns or what I want the most — the GOAT back to Htown.

Luhnow is never coming back. I'm so tired of reading posts saying the organization should bring him back. It's never happening. Quit bringing it up.

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It was in the Passan long cat article from Sunday 

edit:

During the 2022 season, as the Astros churned toward a regular-season win total one shy of their franchise record, relationships outside the clubhouse soured, according to sources. Owner Jim Crane, who paid a record $5 million fine levied by commissioner Rob Manfred for the cheating scandal, took a more hands-on role in baseball operations. New voices, such as Astros Hall of Fame first baseman Jeff Bagwell, grew in prominence. And when Click tried to execute the trade for Contreras -- a pending free agent who is not regarded as a good defensive catcher but would've ably filled the hole at designated hitter that plagued the Astros during the postseason -- another prominent name let his opposition be known: Dusty Baker.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957984/2022-world-series-how-dusty-baker-astros-beat-phillies

Edited by UTexasFight

Yankees offers a qualifying offer to rizzo. Steadily declining numbers and strikes out a lot. Perfect for for them, go over pay him 

1 minute ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Any time he guest commentates with Blum/Kalas he bitches about all the new advanced analytics/method of playing

he goes more in depth on the radio 

Edited by tx 3 putt

46 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yankees offers a qualifying offer to rizzo. Steadily declining numbers and strikes out a lot. Perfect for for them, go over pay him.

Neither of those things is true. It would be a terrible decision for them not to give him a qualifying offer (and I would be shocked if he accepted). 

Yeah thats a no brainer for both sides. Yankees have to offer cause its only like a 3.5 mil raise, and if he declines then they gonna get draft pick. Rizzo had to decline his option because at the least he knew he would get a 3.5 mil raise with the QC, and at most who knows what he ends up with.

39 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah I would still be shocked if Click comes back.  He is getting fired by not getting fired lol.   1 year deal should tell him all he needs to know about where he stands here, so I bet he chunks deuce 

What else is he going to do? I don’t think there are currently any GM openings.  While those salaries aren’t public, I imagine he’s making at least a milly. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What else is he going to do? I don’t think there are currently any GM openings.  While those salaries aren’t public, I imagine he’s making at least a milly. 

Guys on MLB radio were discussing this earlier.....World Series winning GM....someone would give him a job.  May not be a GM spot, but there are plenty baseball jobs he can be brought on for he wouldn't be unemployed long.  

Maybe not to general fans, but to baseball people him taking a 1 yr deal makes him look like a huge bitch boy, but yeah I mean there is always the chance he just calls Crane's bluff and takes his money.