Football Rules Question

Parliament

In the Ohio State/Northwestern game today, NW had the (50 mph) wind at their back in the 1st and 4th quarters.  I think they won the coin toss.  TBH, I've never watched close, but I thought they ALWAYS rotated every quarter.  Ie, they'd have the wind in the 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th.  I've been reading up on the coin flip deferral rules and I'm more confused.  I think NW won the flip and deferred.  That gave Ohio State the choice to kick or receive the opening kickoff and...  That's where I get lost.

So what's the deal?  Please explain it to me with small words.

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/glossary-of-terms/defer/#:~:text=In football%2C a coin toss,receive%2C kick%2C or defer.

image.thumb.png.8415f16463979de9fba462e0ae9c4115.png

Edited by Parliament

I'm asking how that happened.  I think this is what happened:

NW won the toss and deferred.  That gave Ohio State the choice to kick or receive the opening kick.  Ohio State chose to receive, and NW got the choice of which endzone to defend.  They chose to have the wind at their back.

At the start of the 2nd half, NW would normally choose to receive the opening kick and let Ohio State choose the end to defend.  But because of the wind, they chose to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter.  That means Ohio State received the opening kick...again. Normally that's a (sorry for this) stupid mistake.  But that wind, man:

Like I said, I gotta go back and see who won the toss, and who kicked the openings of each half.

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

I'm asking how that happened.  I think this is what happened:

NW won the toss and deferred.  That gave Ohio State the choice to kick or receive the opening kick.  Ohio State chose to receive, and NW got the choice of which endzone to defend.  They chose to have the wind at their back.

At the start of the 2nd half, NW would normally choose to receive the opening kick and let Ohio State choose the end to defend.  But because of the wind, they chose to have the wind at their back in the 4th quarter.  That means Ohio State received the opening kick...again. Normally that's a (sorry for this) stupid mistake.  But that wind, man:

Like I said, I gotta go back and see who won the toss, and who kicked the openings of each half.

What game did you watch?  Northwestern kicked off to begin the game and Ohio State kicked off to begin the second half.

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

In the Ohio State/Northwestern game today, NW had the (50 mph) wind at their back in the 1st and 4th quarters.  I think they won the coin toss.  TBH, I've never watched close, but I thought they ALWAYS rotated every quarter.  Ie, they'd have the wind in the 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th.  I've been reading up on the coin flip deferral rules and I'm more confused.  I think NW won the flip and deferred.  That gave Ohio State the choice to kick or receive the opening kickoff and...  That's where I get lost.

So what's the deal?  Please explain it to me with small words.

https://www.rookieroad.com/football/glossary-of-terms/defer/#:~:text=In football%2C a coin toss,receive%2C kick%2C or defer.

image.thumb.png.8415f16463979de9fba462e0ae9c4115.png

You always rotate ends of the field between 1st/2nd and between 3rd/4th quarter, regardless of the coin flip. However, you don’t necessarily swap sides after halftime; that’s determined by whoever makes their choice the 2nd half….