2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas will be red for the rest of our lifetime. It’s not even close. Stop hoping. And those migrating from out of state are probably voting red more than voting blue. 

They are. Why do you think they're moving here. DoNT cALIFoRNia mY tExAs
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Vouchers to make sure our underfunded public schools become less funded so the rich Christian private schools get my tax dollars. And making sure the urban majority minority schools are “punished” for poor test results without any regard whatsoever of the socioeconomic issues the kids are facing, just blame the teachers and make them quit. We’re already at thousands of teaching vacancies. That was at around a hundred a few years ago. And no books about slavery or that even mention the word gay. Keep ‘em dumb, that’s the okie standard.

Everything here is applicable to Texas as well.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I aint giving up on Texas

I'm going down with this ship GIF – Seinfeld Memes

Someone has to make up the 45% of D votes around here.

Why? Would do more good if non trumpers flooded swing states and let all the trumpers have Texas and Florida. We should actively be advertising all over the US that Texas and Florida are Trump loving havens where trumpy people can move and live and shopt up schools together. 

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Everything here is applicable to Texas as well.

I always got the sense that Texas at least has better local control in the cities. We’re beholden to the state leg for everything. If we passed a local tax to fund better schools the state will reallocate our state appropriation to make sure we can’t pay better or do anything different. Small state stuff I think.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Why? Would do more good if non trumpers flooded swing states and let all the trumpers have Texas and Florida. We should actively be advertising all over the US that Texas and Florida are Trump loving havens where trumpy people can move and live and shopt up schools together. 

Hard to just get up and move from your home and find two new jobs away from family.

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

The R hold over rural counties in Texas is simply amazing. Look at those numbers 80%, 90% everywhere.  

The margins are still incredible to me.  The two bits for good news is Texas is among the fastest urbanizing/suburbanizing states in the nation.  And those that are staying are dying sooner rather than later.  However, our education system is still

shit.  

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I always got the sense that Texas at least has better local control in the cities. We’re beholden to the state leg for everything. If we passed a local tax to find better schools the state will reallocate our state appropriation to make sure we can’t pay better or do anything different. Small state stuff I think.

Your sense is wrong.  All of our property taxes in Austin get paid out to rural ISDs.  Wrong thread and it's moving way too fast for this discussion, but it's around in the CR somewhere.

Outside of the quaint towns rural Texas is as much of a forgotten meth plagued shit hole as any small town in Ohio or Pennsylvania. I mean just places the world has forgotten. Then you add the religion in those quaint towns and Texas is 90% trump everywhere that isn’t a major city. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hard, but doable.  Most of our ancestors moved to an entirely different country.  Channel them.

Yeah but mine were incentivized by the ability to buy black people so they didn't have to work that hard anymore. Damn War of Northern Aggression!

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you find a good state, post in the ex-pats thread, because I'm still looking.

And my relatives in Oklahoma are feeling the same way you do - the writing is on the wall, and the Republicans are out to completely fuck it up which is ironic, since it'll destroy plenty of small towns in the rural areas.

I'll probably re-engage with the Tex-pats thread. Minneapolis is still pretty high on my list. They have walkable neighborhoods in the urban core that are affordable and I have friends there. Washington DC is also on my list (ironic I know but I like the walkability and there is more there than government). My wife has family in Connecticut, might consider it, but they are in small towns. I like East Coast small towns well enough (as opposed to red state small towns which are 99% shitholes) but I still prefer walkable urban places where I can have coffee with people from different places on a regular basis. I can do that here in Oklahoma but it takes quite a bit of effort and I just can't handle what I think is going to happen to the schools.

Keep in mind that in 8 Texas counties, the population is under 1,000 people.  Hell, Loving is under 75.  There's another 12 that are under 2,000 and 29 more under 5,000.   The overwhelming bulk of the population is in the 12 counties with more than 600,000 people.  And those places aren't getting whiter.