2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

You're going off historical trends with midterms though and we've never seen an assault on democracy like this.  People are just too stupid.  That is the only answer.  We are just too fucking dumb to survive.

There are those that seek to keep us as such, and they’re pouring hundreds of millions into our elections.

Power and wealth for a VERY select few is likely to doom us all. But the shareholder value, for a time, was tremendous…
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Hopefully Warnock gets to a very expensive runoff, but holy fuck... Hershel Walker... people really voted for him.  Could a sack of potatoes with an (R) do about just as well?  Apparently, the candidate hardly matters at all. 

I would bet my life saving that if you ran a sack of potatoes for the Senate in a state like Texas and put a R next to it on the ballot it would win easily.  My kid asked me earlier what would the votes be for all of these races if there were no D or R next to their name but people listened to each person running and voted for the one with the best ideas.  I am curious how that experiment would turn out.  I mean, in OH would Tim Ryan beat Vance if neither were affiliated with a party?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

Politics aside I’m at home when I get to 20-30 miles from the coast and running around from PINS up to rockport makes me happy. Still shitholes up and down the highway. Our entire state is full of potholes and armpits even though there are some really great places.

I have no idea why state level elections keep turning out the way they do. 

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would bet my life saving that if you ran a sack of potatoes for the Senate in a state like Texas and put a R next to it on the ballot it would win easily.  My kid asked me earlier what would the votes be for all of these races if there were no D or R next to their name but people listened to each person running and voted for the one with the best ideas.  I am curious how that experiment would turn out.  I mean, in OH would Tim Ryan beat Vance if neither were affiliated with a party?  

They keep electing sacks of shit so a sack of potatoes should be no problem.

Edited by CTC2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I always got the sense that Texas at least has better local control in the cities. We’re beholden to the state leg for everything. If we passed a local tax to fund better schools the state will reallocate our state appropriation to make sure we can’t pay better or do anything different. Small state stuff I think.

Nope, COVID proved that the legislature and governor believe they have full control over the cities, as well as our governor threatened to try and take over Austin's police department.

And here in Austin we sent over $700 million taxpayer dollars out to outlying districts last year, which allows them to fund all kinds of stupid shit they don't need (they get the money from us, they can do bond issues, etc., for stupid shit).

And most of those counties receiving a chunk of that $700 million+ fucking loathe Austin.  But they'll happily take our money to prop up their school districts/buy stupid shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would bet my life saving that if you ran a sack of potatoes for the Senate in a state like Texas and put a R next to it on the ballot it would win easily. 

I understand the sentiment. I would vote for a beat-up old shoe over anybody who downplayed the Jan 6 attack, which means I'll vote for a lot of shoes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I have no idea why state level elections keep turning out the way they do. 

If your criticizing me for stating the truth then you can move from your comfortable suburb home outside a liberal city and call cuero or lulling home.

9 minutes ago, troph said:

Politics aside I’m at home when I get to 20-30 miles from the coast and running around from PINS up to rockport makes me happy. Still shitholes up and down the highway. Our entire state is full of potholes and armpits even though there are some really great places.

When we leave the state, particularly when we hit the Oklahoma turnpikes, it's like night-and-day.

Over the last 25 years that I've driven up to/through Dallas multiple times every year, I can only think of once or twice where I-35 was "finished" to the point where we didn't deal with construction.  How the fuck does Oklahoma build better roads than we do?   And it's not an I-35/heavy traffic thing - there's plenty of stretches of I-35 outside of Texas that are fine.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Where’s Johnny Sack? It’s past 10 so he’s been drinking for 7-8 hours and lord knows his family doesn’t speak to him, he should be here cheering on the MAGA. 

If I had to guess, his wife's pegging him with one of his beloved rifles.  

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

When we leave the state, particularly when we hit the Oklahoma turnpikes, it's like night-and-day.

Over the last 25 years that I've driven up to/through Dallas multiple times every year, I can only think of once or twice where I-35 was "finished" to the point where we didn't deal with construction.  How the fuck does Oklahoma build better roads than we do?   And it's not an I-35/heavy traffic thing - there's plenty of stretches of I-35 outside of Texas that are fine.

To be fair we add more than Oklahoma's population to the I35 cities in Texas every 10 years.

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I hate to say but it looks like there's enough of the vote outstanding in Colorado for Boebert to make up quite a bit of ground.

Even if she pulls it out, it should still scare the everliving shit out of Republicans, because if they pull off even a slight House majority, you know that she and her ilk will go even harder on trying to fuck everything up for everybody, thereby hurting Republicans in 2024.  And they'll be angry that the Rs lost too many races that they thought they'd win.

Makes me wonder how Trump will be viewed, because holy fuck did he suffer a lot of losses tonight.  He took potshots at DeSantis who performed well tonight, meanwhile plenty ofTrump's candidates that he loved got their asses kicked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if she pulls it out, it should still scare the everliving shit out of Republicans, because if they pull off even a slight House majority, you know that she and her ilk will go even harder on trying to fuck everything up for everybody, thereby hurting Republicans in 2024.  And they'll be angry that the Rs lost too many races that they thought they'd win.

Makes me wonder how Trump will be viewed, because holy fuck did he suffer a lot of losses tonight.  He took potshots at DeSantis who performed well tonight, meanwhile plenty ofTrump's candidates that he loved got their asses kicked.

You act like republican voters care/notice

• Hook 'Em 2