2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Republicans won’t succeed in outlawing abortion. The backlash would be too strong. 
How did that work out?

They had historically weak midterms as an opposition party, in the midst of presidential approval in the low 40s and the highest inflation in the adult life of anyone under 55 or so?

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

They had historically weak midterms as an opposition party, in the midst of presidential approval in the low 40s and the highest inflation in the adult life of anyone under 55 or so?

They still reversed Roe, and outlawed abortion in many red states. There was some backlash, but not enough for real change. Just enough to not give Republicans power to impeach Biden for eating ice cream. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the point is that until the magat freaks go back under their rocks, we are going to need to bring out Dem voters at the highest levels in consecutive elections for a long time coming.  The concern is people (myself included) probably don't have the stamina for that.

Every year that passes Gen Z gets more engaged. That’s the hope. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The older people get, the more they believe a little bit more money is worth denying other peoples rights 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seems to be the case.  WTF is wrong with people?  Is it just getting jaded by life as you get older?  Fuck everyone, I got mine?  It's so weird to me.

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I really wouldn't think much further than that. it's that simple and that sinister

I think some of it is the olds are more likely to believe in stupid shit they see on the internet, while the youths are cynical as hell about a lot of stuff they see.

All those Republican fundraising spam emails that the GOP candidates keep sending out that are dumb as hell?  They work with more than a few of the olds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

If the Texags politics board is any indication, then Republicans simply have no idea why they didn't do well this election. It's like they live in an alternative reality.

They know, they just don’t want to blame Trump or abortion and risk being alienated and threatened by their fellow Trumpers.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They know, they just don’t want to blame Trump or abortion and risk being alienated and threatened by their fellow Trumpers.

It’s amazing that they bristle at the notion that voters rejected Maga crazies because they’re all insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

The republicans won’t succeed in stopping early voting and vote by mail. The backlash would be too strong. They’re just venting their frustrations, but they won’t be able to do anything about it.

due to massive fraud claims in texas counties with more than 500k population, all mail in ballots and early voting has been canceled 

• Rage+1 1

Unfortunately I do see that ranked choice voting, which is a fantastic idea, will not spread much especially in red states. The Alaska GOP has learned their lesson that it leads to democrats representing a deep red state and that their chosen senate candidate most likely will lose to a secondary gop candidate.

some red states may get to drop many mail in ballots. It helped the texas gop to limit mail on ballots. 

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I get what he's saying.  However, considering how deeply unpopular she is, the best thing she could have done for the party was stay away.  Of course, that's a problem of her own making.  I hope Gallego takes her out when she's up again.  It would not surprise me if she switches parties before her next campaign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Agreed. But let’s be honest. Election Day has been during the day on a weekday for 177 years for a reason.

I think those reasons had to do with hauling in crops on the eastern seaboard/actual Sunday observance/dirt road travel.

As somebody who has lived from Texas to Maine: the first two weeks in November is actually the most affable travel season of the year: post hurricane, pre big snowstorms, post harvest.

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The political situation in Alaska is super weird though.

They once had their house controlled by a coalition if Democrats and Moderate Republicans. It's not deep red like Idaho is deep red.

They also have basic income system that the GOP loves. It’s politics are weird AF

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I think those reasons had to do with hauling in crops on the eastern seaboard/actual Sunday observance/dirt road travel.

As somebody who has lived from Texas to Maine: the first two weeks in November is actually the most affable travel season of the year: post hurricane, pre big snowstorms, post harvest.

You're crazy. It's in the 40s here and people are apparently about to die based on how bundled up they are on the way from the parking lot to the sporting goods store. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Lake's final hope came up way short. Hobbs wins!

97K votes, 54-45 Lake. 

She needed probably 63% or better. 

They may wait for one more dump to call it but I think Hobbs is the winner

Hodge (AZ-01) is now behind by 900 votes but this was a redder drop regardless 

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I get what he's saying.  However, considering how deeply unpopular she is, the best thing she could have done for the party was stay away.  Of course, that's a problem of her own making.  I hope Gallego takes her out when she's up again.  It would not surprise me if she switches parties before her next campaign. 

She is Tulsi Gabbard in AZ clothing and a colored wig.  Fuck her.

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, RabidM said:

i like the idea of offering her an ambassadorship / easy way out. she wants not part of a primary campaign that she's not winning

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Not a good day for the House odds - CA-41, AZ-01/06 drop bad news. 

Looking more and more like 219-216 or 220-215

What's going to be interesting is how the Rs and our resident trumpkins are going to crow about taking the House (which they should, from a political standpoint), but they will absolutely not take anything under context.  

That said, the Rs being in control of the House, even by 1 person, is a bad thing for democracy.

• Hook 'Em 4

Biggest questions for the House:

Whats outstanding in Maricopa to push Hodge back over? If today was supposedly the “best” batch for the GOP, tomorrow might be a blue batch 

What’s outstanding in Pima for Engel? Same as above, today was supposedly the best GOP batch 

If the mail gets progressively bluer for CA-41, 22 and maybe 45. 27 is basically done for Garcia to survive another 2 years in a Biden seat barring some really good batches for Smith

Cured and overseas ballots in CO-03

220R-215D looks likeliest and there’s a lot of Republicans in blue seats for a presidential year in 2024

Edited by Js1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Biggest questions for the House:

Whats outstanding in Maricopa to push Hodge back over? If today was supposedly the “best” batch for the GOP, tomorrow might be a blue batch 

What’s outstanding in Pima for Engel? Same as above, today was supposedly the best GOP batch 

If the mail gets progressively bluer for CA-41, 22 and maybe 45. 27 is basically done for Garcia to survive another 2 years in a Biden seat barring some really good batches for Smith

Cured and overseas ballots in CO-03

220R-215D looks likeliest and there’s a lot of Republicans in blue seats for a presidential year in 2024

From what I heard those were the reddest R precincts left. Haven't heard anything definitive about either race though. If we lose both seats by 1000 votes after Maloney triaged their races I'm going to flip out.

The national narrative, if Dems fall short, need to be the Supreme Court inaction on Redistricting and gerrymandering. Save the Dem on Dem drama for inside ass tearing that Biden team will no doubt do.

EDIT:I swear to fucking god, if any of you can stop my phone from autocorrecting on to in, I’ll beej you.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2