2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We should get money out of politics" says members of both parties who insist the world's third largest country have a 24-month election cycle for President requiring billions of dollars. The primary system alone takes 6 months, 1 million miles, and 1 billion dollars to successfully navigate.  

2 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Ermmm, Liz Cheney lost in the primary. What am I missing?

The Democrat party can nominate any U.S. Citizen who otherwise meets congressional age/residency requirements to be their Speaker of the House candidate.  Colin Powell was recently nominated and got 1 vote.  There;s dozens of examples throughout history.  They can also put up Cheney and Pelosi, and if Cheney gets more votes, she moves to the second round versus McCarthy.  

Just now, Left Coast said:

Ermmm, Liz Cheney lost in the primary. What am I missing?

The Speaker of the House can be anybody I think.

But the idea is stupid. The Democats shouldn't be enabling the Cheney agenda. The leftwing of the party would be throwing a fit with every tax cut she passes. If a few Blue Dogs can get some non-MAGA Republican as Speaker sure but I don't think there are enough of them and way too many MAGA Republicans.

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Democrat party can nominate any U.S. Citizen who otherwise meets congressional age/residency requirements to be their Speaker of the House candidate.  Colin Powell was recently nominated and got 1 vote.  There;s dozens of examples throughout history.  They can also put up Cheney and Pelosi, and if Cheney gets more votes, she moves to the second round versus McCarthy.  

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Strangely the Speaker doesn't have to be as member of the House.  theoretically Phlegm could be Speaker. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The Speaker of the House can be anybody I think.

But the idea is stupid. The Democats shouldn't be enabling the Cheney agenda. The leftwing of the party would be throwing a fit with every tax cut she passes. If a few Blue Dogs can get some non-MAGA Republican as Speaker sure but I don't think there are enough of them and way too many MAGA Republicans.

2 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

You don't have to be elected to the House to serve as speaker. 

So apparently everyone knew this except me? Honestly I had no idea this was possible. Thank you for the explanation!

image.jpeg.9f3c5b296afd242534e801b6f17f0799.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Left Coast said:

So apparently everyone knew this except me? Honestly I had no idea this was possible. Thank you for the explanation!

It's a very obscure rule. I don't think it has ever happened.

Sort of like how the Pope can theoretically be any Catholic man but really you have to be a Cardinal of the Church.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's a fun reason to consider Liz Cheney or Kinzinger for Speaker and get over your "they're too conservative for my party!" rants.  With a number of close races yet to call, there is a noticeable (not big) statistical outcome where GOP takes House just 218-217.  McCarthy can't get a coalition together.  Democrats and a handful of moderate Republicans who at least voted to impeach Trump side with Dems and put forth Cheney or Kinzinger.  And they get their candidate elected Speaker.  

Here's the rub, there is no rule that says a Speaker must be a current member of the House.  And there is no rule that says such a Speaker, in addition to the very powerful job of filling committees and assigning bills to them, cannot vote on bills that reach the full floor.  I just tied the House back at 218-218.  You're welcome America.  

Although unlike the Senate, there is no mechanism to break a tie vote in the U.S. House (it has happened a few times when a handful of members missed a vote, voted just "Present" or the seat was temporarily unfilled (death, resignation).  So I don't know what happens to a bill, I guess back to the floor or a second Civil War is legally required.  Not sure, could go either way.  

45 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

I only knew about it because there was some hairbrained GQP scheme to make Trump the speaker with plans to ascend him to the presidency after Biden impeachment and then who knows what with the VEEP.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I only knew about it because there was some hairbrained GQP scheme to make Trump the speaker with plans to ascend him to the presidency after Biden impeachment and then who knows what with the VEEP.

Uh, I gotta spell it out for you?  It becomes a felony if I spell it out.  MAGA hangs Vice Presidents.  

all part of their weird drinking game were they to nominate Trump for Speaker, “elect, execute, or impeach!”   

i remember when they found that loophole and were so proud of themselves.  A dozen Fox News staffers took a week to find something most of us learned in high school civics.  

Liz Cheney as speaker would be great for civility and would minimize the bullshit like debt ceiling theatrics. It would be incredibly stupid for the democrats to put her there because she is not at all like the people actually winning republican primaries and she will make the party seem reasonable to the independent voter. The democrats should sit back and let the Republicans pick their own choice dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Ouch 

5562F7DE-6260-487E-A699-9C1157F71F78.thumb.jpeg.e0943a62c50a4da0a5eccb3737969541.jpeg

I realize it has no place in actual journalism, and it won’t go past mocking her ever-present camera filters, but her behavior makes it obvious this bitch can’t stand aging and is insecure about her looks. Which means people should continue to hammer it. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Good on AZ to reject Lake but damn, Hobbs was a horrible campaigner. She either needs to learn some new skills or step out of the way. 

The democrat challenger for governor in 2018 lost by 15 points. 

Hobbs let Lake take all the spotlight and prove to voters what an idiot she was. 

Like this amazing closing message:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s been a week and already pronouncing how terrible Dem candidates who WON despite the headwinds, when they should have been shellacked. 

Dems never truly win

Two weeks ago I would have said the same thing. Lake was a horrid person and lost by 20K votes. It's not hard to think that a less horrid GOP candidate would have beaten Hobbs. 

hobbs has the job for what I assume is 4 years. Time to govern and learn to communicate.

not sure why so many of you want to paint Hobbs as the perfect campaigner.

Based on my wholly unscientific experience of simply living in AZ, I don’t think AZ really wants to be blue. Run a normal candidate like Ducey and he wins big.

But it appears there are enough people who didn’t want to deal with the nonsense anymore that Hobbs got elected by default.

I voted for her. I have no idea if she’ll be a good governor. I did think she stood tall in the saddle as SOS during the election fraud bullshit though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3