2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

Just now, tbone_ said:

Based on my wholly unscientific experience of simply living in AZ, I don’t think AZ really wants to be blue. Run a normal candidate like Ducey and he wins big.

But it appears there are enough people who didn’t want to deal with the nonsense anymore that Hobbs got elected by default.

I voted for her. I have no idea if she’ll be a good governor. I did think she stood tall in the saddle as SOS during the election fraud bullshit though.

Probably shouldn't tell McCain Republicans to "go to hell" like Lake did.

Arizona is full of McCain Republicans/independents. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize it has no place in actual journalism, and it won’t go past mocking her ever-present camera filters, but her behavior makes it obvious this bitch can’t stand aging and is insecure about her looks. Which means people should continue to hammer it. 

I mean bitches face looks like Secretariat's saddle. She is GQP Magda.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I kept hearing Lake and others bag on McCain and I thought, "Why alienate those people?"  For better or worse, the McCain name still carries a lot of gravitas in Arizona.  There really aren't many other recent examples of it in other parts of the country.  When you insult McCain, to many people---R/D/I, you are insulting Arizona.  Yeah, some MAGA nutjobs are gonna laugh and cheer you on when you do it, but you're gonna win that demographic anyway...why alienate the other 2/3rds of likely Republican voters?  

Another thing I've noticed in this last cycle is a few Texans will describe themselves as 'Abbott Republicans.'  I don't know what that means exactly, but it did pick a hint of steam.  However, in 10 years...I have never, ever heard anyone describe themselves as a 'Cruz Republican.'  Not once.  I wonder why that is? 

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I kept hearing Lake and others bag on McCain and I thought, "Why alienate those people?"  For better or worse, the McCain name still carries a lot of gravitas in Arizona.  There really aren't many other recent examples of it in other parts of the country.  When you insult McCain, to many people---R/D/I, you are insulting Arizona.  Yeah, some MAGA nutjobs are gonna laugh and cheer you on when you do it, but you're gonna win that demographic anyway...why alienate the other 2/3rds of likely Republican voters?  

Another thing I've noticed in this last cycle is a few Texans will describe themselves as 'Abbott Republicans.'  I don't know what that means exactly, but it did pick a hint of steam.  However, in 10 years...I have never, ever heard anyone describe themselves as a 'Cruz Republican.'  Not once.  I wonder why that is? 

I guess "Abbott Republican" sounds better than "Impotent Shitheel"?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So the NY Dems have 2 years to rebuild their machine.  It sounds less like NY Dems had a machine and more like Cuomo had a machine, and he didn't share that shit with anyone. 

Gillibrand is also up in 2024 and she's a damn good retail politico, so I do think she will help downballot quite a bit.  She fucking romped in 2010, a red wave, 63-35 and won 54/62 counties.  Followed that up with 72.2% in 2012 and 67% in 2018. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Two weeks ago I would have said the same thing. Lake was a horrid person and lost by 20K votes. It's not hard to think that a less horrid GOP candidate would have beaten Hobbs. 

hobbs has the job for what I assume is 4 years. Time to govern and learn to communicate.

not sure why so many of you want to paint Hobbs as the perfect campaigner.

Not a single person has said that. Are you aware you're turning into the satyanash of the CR?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I guess "Abbott Republican" sounds better than "Impotent Shitheel"?

I think they focus-grouped that, but it didn't play well in the suburbs.  Also their Latino/a outreach of "Mierdatacon Impotente" scored very low.  But it's like Abbott said about the shooter at Uvalde in the aftermath, "Coulda been worse, 'cause you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."  

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

not sure why so many of you want to paint Hobbs as the perfect campaigner.

Well she has a perfect campaign record, so...

Also, never interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake is a valid strategy. And Lake never stopped making mistakes. 

Edited by Huckleberry

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Maybe they were in wheelchairs ?

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well she has a perfect campaign record, so...

Also, never interrupt your enemy when they're making a mistake is a valid strategy. And Lake never stopped making mistakes. 

I also tend to agree with her no debate approach.  She wasn't scared to debate Lake, it was about giving someone like Lake a bigger platform to spew lies. She was going to do it anyways, but not legitimizing it by standing on stage with her was a choice and a choice I'm okay with.

Democrats don't ever "win" debates, really.  They win the substance, but never the performance part. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I didn’t pay close enough attention to her to even be aware of this. But yea, that makes no sense.

I don’t idolize the guy but McCain was generally the kind of R I wish I could still vote for. But alas, here I am, voting D pretty much non stop since 2016 mostly by default.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

The McCain thing started with Trump and IMO is one of the stupidest things he's ever done.  Like top 5 out of the billion stupid things he's done.  Look at the margin in AZ in 2020...off the top of my head, I think it was around 12k.  If Trump had just held his tongue on McCain, his odds of winning AZ go way up.  And if he wins AZ, who knows WTF other shenanigans they try to claim in other states.

• Hook 'Em 1

I also tend to agree with her no debate approach.  She wasn't scared to debate Lake, it was about giving someone like Lake a bigger platform to spew lies. She was going to do it anyways, but not legitimizing it by standing on stage with her was a choice and a choice I'm okay with.
Democrats don't ever "win" debates, really.  They win the substance, but never the performance part. 

I know a few savvy political strategists here. I’m going to ask around about the no debate strategy. I’m curious as to how she came to that plan. I mean I know get the big picture (why give her another platform) but I’m curious about the mechanics behind why they thought it would work.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.07a255831ad28efb6a08628d4d206d32.png

Refusing to say the actual name of the party is akin to refusing to say The University of Texas and insisting on tu.

Think about that.

Oh calm down, Barbara.  I toss around Democrat/Democratic/democracy all the time and make mistakes.  

why do you think the expression “little d/Big D” exists in TV/radio political punditry.  Besides to describe Trump’s dick versus Biden’s.  I’ll try to do better but I’m gonna make an innocent typing mistake 80% of the time.  It’s not meant to be insulting.  You will know when I am being insulting because it’ll be two paragraphs too long with really colorful language and satirical conversations only I can hear in my head.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Oh calm down, Barbara.  I toss around Democrat/Democratic/democracy all the time and make mistakes.  

why do you think the expression “little d/Big D” exists in TV/radio political punditry.  Besides to describe Trump’s dick versus Biden’s.  I’ll try to do better but I’m gonna make an innocent typing mistake 80% of the time.  It’s not meant to be insulting.  You will know when I am being insulting because it’ll be two paragraphs too long with really colorful language and satirical conversations only I can hear in my head.  

Your whole response intensifies your Aggie-ness. Bend over backward to give a stupid explanation.

Also, like Aggies, you assume that I'm profoundly offended by your use of Democrat Party. You've really scored big on ol' BarbaraVicta. I'm not insulted and doubt your ability to insult me.

It's merely improper usage. Insisting on it says something about you. Caneck all you want to. Free country. For now.

• Like 1

Dude it was a fucking mental/typing miscue.  I use the word correctly and I use it incorrectly.  With all the drivel we post, shits gonna come out sideways.  This is just a snooty version of calling out somebody for their/they’re.  But yeah, now I’m an aggy being disrespectful to the Democratic Party.  Of all the dumb shit I post, and you as well, this is the bridge too far?  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Seems like it was written by an actual grown up.

I don't believe for a second any of these GQP concession tweets have a single iota of sincerity.  A thin veneer of lies because they are hoping that they can attract just enough of independent voters next time after the party throws Trump election stealing narrative overboard.

Fuck all of them.

Dude, Bruce Springsteen looks weird in your new avatar.  Nobody is upset, like most of y’all I sometimes get surprised with what benign bothers people when we sling so much crazy shit.   Maybe it’s ‘cause I usually say “The Democrats” and rarely refer to the party by name.  Didn’t mean anything by it after 4 years Of just relentlessly alienating every Trumper in my real and online lives.  

maybe I can merge my grotesque sense of humor and my political insight into a long, vulgar joke (basically my MO) and at the end the campaign manager asks “so what do you call the act?”

the Democratics!   

5 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I don't believe for a second any of these GQP concession tweets have a single iota of sincerity.  A thin veneer of lies because they are hoping that they can attract just enough of independent voters next time after the party throws Trump election stealing narrative overboard.

Fuck all of them.

I agree with this.  I think some of the smart ones have recognized that Americans really hate election-denialism.  

And I have to wonder whether that didn't play a role in Stacey Abrams' loss.  At the extreme risk of both-siding this shit, I suspect her complaints about the 2018 gubernatorial election turned off a lot of Independents. 

I'm not saying her complaints weren't justified or that her objections were in any way equivalent to Trump's in 2020.  I'm just saying that I could see a lot of people who don't pay a lot of attention could equate the two.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

G6fuckstick—-Was replying to south Austin and a couple others.   When I’m talking to you, I’ll let you know.  

also, what if tonight’s announcement is just Trump’s return to Twitter?   It is weird his platform hasn’t said much on his announcement tonight and Musk’s PR team suddenly left Austin (which admittedly could be for 200 other reasons)?

Edited by YGIFS

34 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Upset of the year by Marie Gluesenkamp Perez. She won because she talked about real issues. Her opponent was tinfoil hat wearing MAGAt. Well done. 
83FF3C64-1A3B-4084-B749-2E8F0C0802C1.jpeg.511b149c6757271b9f77b5a3605d8618.jpeg

I'm sure for every D who did this and won a deep red district, there are two or three Ds who did this and narrowly lost a deep red district. Despair not, because every seat matters. Establish the run.

Edited by chainsaw
forgot words
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s been a week and already pronouncing how terrible Dem candidates who WON despite the headwinds, when they should have been shellacked. 
Dems never truly win

God. Ain’t that the truth?

I’m beginning to think all these people who proclaim Democrats are pussies are projecting.
  • Hook 'Em 2