2022 Election Day Thread - Midterm Rumble

Js1

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realizing fully that this interactive map of Austin area election results is for the TX governor race, it still serves as a decent proxy for overall partisan preferences in the region. Obviously Austin proper and especially central Austin skew blue, but the campus area has some "holy cow" margins.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/interactive-map-how-did-your-neighborhood-vote-in-the-texas-gubernatorial-election/

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That guy is really, really good at changing the time signature of what he's playing to match the rant.

his cadence on the batshit insane bank teller hypothetical is pretty consistent...probably only one tempo and time sig there.  but then you can ratchet up the tempo a little bit after the mark zuckerburg line and really go into a good metal chug.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, 90/10. Shit, all that means is they're gonna outlaw voting on campus because "of all those out-of-staters and foreigners at UT who shouldn't be casting ballots"...says the same Legislature that mandates 90% of the student body be from the state of Texas.  Nevermind that they still have to show ID, and yes---a University of Texas student or faculty ID is considered government issued ID.  

I was genuinely surprised at my precinct, 60-38 for Beto.  I figured it closer to 50-48, not based on yard signs but past results.  Interesting.  But as I suspected, my little patch of moderate gets real fucking blue real fucking quick in two directions and real fucking red in the other two.  Like real blue and red not that light shit.  Also-Lee County.  Poorest county in Central Texas, rest of us swimming in capital.  96-4 for Abbott.  Well done shitheads.  You stay downtrodden, lee County/ronburgundy

Anyway, cool map...have some rep

Edited by YGIFS

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Realizing fully that this interactive map of Austin area election results is for the TX governor race, it still serves as a decent proxy for overall partisan preferences in the region. Obviously Austin proper and especially central Austin skew blue, but the campus area has some "holy cow" margins.

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/interactive-map-how-did-your-neighborhood-vote-in-the-texas-gubernatorial-election/

My precinct was 90% Beto to 8% Abbott.  Only 53% turnout, which was unexpectedly low.  182 Abbott voters in my hood.  Gross.

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My precinct was 90% Beto to 8% Abbott.  Only 53% turnout, which was unexpectedly low.  182 Abbott voters in my hood.  Gross.

I'm on the edge of a neighborhood and am stuck in a precinct clumped in with a different neighborhood. The precinct for my side of the street was 77.2% Beto; the precinct for the other side of the street was 82.8%. I should start a petition for us to secede from the other so we can join up with our rightful neighbors.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

his cadence on the batshit insane bank teller hypothetical is pretty consistent...probably only one tempo and time sig there.  but then you can ratchet up the tempo a little bit after the mark zuckerburg line and really go into a good metal chug.

I didn’t listen to this particular vid, but I have seen some where he is definitely shifting time sigs.  Think it was for a fire & brimstone sermon or something.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What Are We Doing Kamala Harris GIF by The Democrats

Frisch getting the right margins, but there may not be *enough* outstanding votes to overtake Boobert.

She's sweating, but like, 85 degree sweating, not 102 and 95% humidity sweating.

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So ~450 cured ballots, plus somewhere between 1000 and 1400 other ballots, for a max of ~1,800 ballots. Frisch would need something like 80% of that, and he's currently at 53% of the counted ballots. That doesn't sound too sweat inducing, but I'll continue to hold out hope!

That 1000-1400 is just Pueblo.  There's other counties in the district.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I didn’t listen to this particular vid, but I have seen some where he is definitely shifting time sigs.  Think it was for a fire & brimstone sermon or something.

probably this one.

actually, it was probably this one which is his chef-d'œuvre:

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

surprising, at least for me. Is Beto getting the win in city propers, like : Elgin, Lockhart, Bastrop.

Edited by yoladu

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

They always need a distraction and / or a boogeyman to keep the people who are poor, but for some reason vote GOP in the fold. The GOP has nothing to offer these people so they always find shiny distractions to anger them and make them feel like their lives will somehow get worse if they don’t support their candidates. 

On 11/16/2022 at 10:59 PM, Voldemort86 said:

Nevada house went pretty well too.  We need to end these bipartisan redistricting commissions because they just help republicans. Republicans just take what they can get in those states and screw over the dems as hard as possible in states they control.

if anything, we need to fight fire with fire if they’re not going to fight fairly.  There’s no reason Ohio should be 12-4 or 13-3 gop when the gop wins statewide races with less then 60% of the statewide vote. No reason North Carolina should be 10-4 after they jam the new map thru when they only win statewide races by 3-4 points.

This.  California, New York, and every other Dem controlled state needs to take the exact same formulas used by TX, NC, OH and partisan gerrymander the fuck out of there states.  I mean EXTREME... like draw it so pubs get 2 CA seats and dems get 48.  Dare the supremes to do something about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

This.  California, New York, and every other Dem controlled state needs to take the exact same formulas used by TX, NC, OH and partisan gerrymander the fuck out of there states.  I mean EXTREME... like draw it so pubs get 2 CA seats and dems get 48.  Dare the supremes to do something about it. 

Not so sure a 48-2 gerrymander is possible in CA

The redistricting commissions in California and other states were enacted by ballot measures, not the normal legislative process. Voters in those states would need to repeal them. It is highly unlikely that even Dem voters would do that.

SCOTUS could rule them unconstitutional next spring. That is the only realistic way they can be undone.

Gerrymandering helped Dems in IL, NM, NV.  We won in CO in spite of the commission drawing CO-08 to be more neutral/GOP leaning.  

Dems may end up keeping their NY State Senate supermajority and Hochul is replacing the Chief Justice who retired in August.  The Hochulmander ain't dead if they can bring it back to the Courts in 2023. 

The Hochulmander maps were thrown out 4-3 so replacing the Chief Justice with a Hochul appointee could flip a decision if it's brought back.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

The redistricting commissions in California and other states were enacted by ballot measures, not the normal legislative process. Voters in those states would need to repeal them. It is highly unlikely that even Dem voters would do that.

SCOTUS could rule them unconstitutional next spring. That is the only realistic way they can be undone.

Look, as a CA resident I can see why others say “it’s not fair” to have a blue state like CA have a relatively fair process for drawing political districts while red states like FL and TX have criminally been gerrymandered. But the bigger “big picture” is that I don’t want to live in a state drawn to the benefit of/by/for a single political party. Giving the Democrats that much power in CA wouldn’t be good for our state.

Even with these fair districts 75-80% of the CA congressional delegation will be Dems. The answer shouldn’t have to be go back to gerrymandering the shit out CA/CO/WA etc. districts. Maybe the Dem party in states like TX and FL should stop sucking so fucking hard. 

• Hook 'Em 3