Buying a high mileage used truck

Sawbonz

I thought there was a buying a used car advice thread on here, but search sucks. I’m looking to buy my son a full size pick up. Prices are pretty outrageous right now for used vehicles, but I have found some that are not too bad at around 10 -15 years old. Some of them are fairly high mileage, which doesn’t really bother me for a Toyota, but with Fords and Chevys I know back in the 80s and 90s, over 100 K and you were rolling the dice. I have heard it’s better now but wanted to know if anyone has any advice. What do you consider high mileage for Fords, Chevys, and Toyotas? Also, what type of inspection should I get before buying and are there any specific. Issues to be aware of?  TIA

also I don’t want to buy Brisket’s truck 

I bought a Lexus LX470 a couple years ago with 180k on it.  It's got 260k on it now.  I don't worry about major problems much but at that age you start running into more small things that just can't last as long as an engine.  Hoses, alternator, various pumps, etc...  I've had to take it in a couple times for stuff like that and for a once-every-90k timing belt, but all the big ticket items are still sound.  I own a Tacoma that's also over 250k and it's a similar story.  I'm planning on my kids driving those two for years to come.  

If you are averse to taking it to the shop now and then I'd stay around 100k or less.  Age in years might be more relevant than actual miles at some point.  

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Age in years might be more relevant than actual miles at some point.  

Agree. I’ve owned 4 GM’s since 2000. 2 new, 2 slightly used.  I’ve got 550k miles combined on the ones I purchased new. Biggest expense was a trans in the one I bought at 17 yo (in 2000) and beat the ever living shit out of.  Lost trans at 185k miles. If that truck didn’t have 50k of those miles in coastal mud pits I’d be surprised. It also towed VERY heavy for a 1/2ton.  It was goosenecked and I hauled cattle and hay with it for years (heavy on the airbags). It made it just under 300k before I upgraded and bought my current one in ‘08.  I’m at 280k on it now.  Was definitely cared for better but still tows heavy. She’s been great but starting to get long in the tooth. Will likely order a new 1-ton next year, when they start actually putting the chips in you pay for.  Wife’s first yukon is currently at 250k and is now a ranch vehicle for us.  We’ve put about 75k on her new one already.    Aside from the trans on the ‘00, biggest thing I’ve put on any of them is hubs (lots of hubs) and CV shafts.  I did the brakes for the first time on my ‘08 at 210k miles.    I can’t speak to Ford’s but know there are tons of them out there so I wouldn’t worry much about it.  Same for Toyota’s of course. 

I say all that to say if you take care of them, modern vehicles will last a long ass time.  But as mentioned above, around that ~12 year mark the parts just start aging and need lots of small stuff.  Nothing to be afraid of ($$$) but sort of a constant hassle (if you want them 100%).  I can see it being a PIA if you aren’t into wrenches.  

before I bought my truck, I needed to move a small travel trailer out in the desert.  I mentioned it to a co-worker, and she offered her 10 year old Suburban.  "It's got new tires and I just took it to the Chevy dealer and had them do whatever it needed.   Fluids, belts, hoses, etc".  

So, I accept her generous offer.  And, I end up calling a tow truck, because the fucking AC idler pulley bearing went out and the belt broke. 

Old vehicles will have shit happen that you cannot anticipate.