Cha-Ching. Mattress Mack has historic sports betting payout

Lhorn

29 minutes ago, fluff said:

I read or heard somewhere it was around $70MM....No clue if that is anywhere close to what it is.

So he refunds the $70M customer’s money he’s already collected and is left with the $65million he nets from the bet. His cost on the mattresses sold is probably no more than $25M. So he pockets a cool $40M. Not too shabby  

revenue: 70(sales)+75(bet)=$145

less expenses: $10(bet)+25(cost of sales)+70(refund) =$105

i think I got that right. Cost of sales is a guess. Could be more, could be less. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I just don’t get the citywide reverence for this cokehead asshole carnie. 

He's definitely overrated but the other local celebrity is Joel Osteen so when that's who you're compared to you're going to seem fucking awesome. For example, their respective responses to Hurricane Harvey. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He's been a city oddity for over four decades - slightly annoying, but a fixture.  There is definitely a marketing aspect to it, but he has been an enthusiastic supporter of Houston sports teams the entire time.  People love that.  His response during and after Harvey won him tons of goodwill.  As already said, there is a calculated marketing aspect to his unabashed support of all things Houston, but there is also a genuine affection for and gratitude to the city where he achieved success.   

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

He's been a city oddity for over four decades - slightly annoying, but a fixture.  There is definitely a marketing aspect to it, but he has been an enthusiastic supporter of Houston sports teams the entire time.  People love that.  His response during and after Harvey won him tons of goodwill.  As already said, there is a calculated marketing aspect to his unabashed support of all things Houston, but there is also a genuine affection for and gratitude to the city where he achieved success.   

Everybody, definitely myself included gives Sheila Jackson Lee shit for crushing anything that gets between her and the cameras during times of both strife and celebration and he is exactly the same, only with opposite politics. He does it for cash and she does it to keep her stranglehold on office. Both of them can get fucked. 

Marvin Zindler? Now that dude rocked and I wish he’d lived long enough to enjoy this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, HouTex said:

Some of you idiots should know that mattress Mac does a ton of good for the community.  I don’t give a shit if he also sells a ton of furniture and makes a profit doing so.  Actually, that’s a good thing.  No CR, though.

All of those things can be true and be appreciated while also believing that his political views are shitty. If some folks choose not to do business with him because of his views, I have no problem with that. 

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

^^^^ This time 100.  Comparing the dude to SJL is a gross insult to him.  Disagree with his politics, all you want, but the guy does a ton for the community and is never afraid to put his money where his mouth is.  Unlike some cunt that is just a leech on society and stupid to boot.

This tremendous good he does for the community hinges largely on that one time he let a few dozen people crash on his floor models for a few hours during Harvey. 

As usual he made sure every news crew in town was on the scene. And of course this didn’t really cost him any money as it was just floor models he “sacrificed” out of his tremendous sense of public spirited generosity. 

Either that or he wanted (and got) an enormous amount of free advertising at a time when half the city had to replace all their furniture. 

I won’t accuse him of lacking marketing skills, but the gulf between who he really is — a completely self interested shill— and who Houstonians believe him to be — a generous philanthropist — is very wide. 

i

Oh and there was that time he swindled his investors in his health club chain, got busted for coke, a lion mauled a little girl at a flea market he owned, and a warehouse he owned went up in flames under circumstances very beneficial to his bottom line. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I don’t know anything about anything - so the payout is in cash?  Really?

Makes for good publicity for the furniture store.  Giant novelty checks work too.  Lulz at pay to the order of Mattress Mack.  I wonder if Mack would hook me up with Seven Star status if I buy an end table.

unnamed.jpg?_i=AA

Edited by WBT