UTEP@Texas 8pm LHN - Revenge...or standing ovation?

SL Xpress

Just now, Js1 said:

Revenge game? Lulz. That's a reach, regardless of Golding coaching there or not.

Shaka ain't roaming our sidelines anymore.  Beard doesn't give a fuck. 

Yes. Because that was meant in the literal sense. I’m literally wondering if Moody is going to erupt in a standing ovation when Golding takes the floor. Good call!

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

I want to see a functioning offense where the team isn't scared shitless to shoot too soon for fear of not making the "extra pass". It was a beating to watch much of the first part of last year. 

Yep. 

Some things that will help:

Carr playing off the ball. For much of the season Carr didn’t seem to have a clue if he was supposed to be the primary scorer or get others involved. 

Cunningham not playing hot potato. It didn’t matter if Brock was wide open. That ball was leaving his hands as soon as possible to a teammate. 

Several players being able to take their defender off the dribble. When you don’t have anyone who can do that, and you have no low post strategy - which Texas didn’t - all you’re left with is and endless exercise of ring around the rosies with perimeter passing and the insanity inducing dribbling into the paint, picking up the dribble, and then looking around for something to do. 

Hunter is outstanding at beating his defender off the dribble, but Morris and Rice are good as well. Then you have Mitchell and Allen who should see some mismatches by design. 

On the other side, Beard is a conservative coach by nature on the offensive end, but he knows he has to play at a faster pace to attract the players he wants. Which impulse wins out? I don’t think UTEP will be a good test for this. Barnes, for example, constantly played at a higher pace against the poorer teams in non conference only to clamp down once Big 12 play began. Not that Beard is going to do that, but UTEP will simply be a data point. The real reveal will come on January. 

I’m with you regarding watching last year’s team, though. My hope is this year is an improvement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In a weird sense, Golding winning that game has benefited this program more than hurt it. Without it, lord knows what happens and who’s coaching us tonight.

The program is in as good of a place as it can be heading into year 2.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

In a weird sense, Golding winning that game has benefited this program more than hurt it. Without it, lord knows what happens and who’s coaching us tonight.

Preach brutha. 

It didn’t feel like a weird sense to me. I was wondering what in the world it was going to take to get rid of this Michael Myers of Texas basketball.

I’ll say this. As opposed to Charlie Strong there weren’t as many comments about his race, and he didn’t force Texas to dismiss him. I’m just as thankful to Marquette for their sheer idiocy as I am to Golding and Abilene Christian. 

There is so much to be excited about - opening game at the new arena (I am hoping it isn't wishful thinking that season ticket holders show up and that students are more lively than they were at the Arkansas exhibition), freshmen studs, Tyrese Hunter, Carr being in better shape and playing off the ball, seeing how the returning players gel in year two, etc. I think number one for me may be to see if Disu can be the player we thought he might be pre-injury. He looked more like a basketball player and less like a wobbly gazelle vs. Arkansas, so I am crossing my fingers for him!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy alcoholic flashback, Batman.  He's still alive, and COACHING?

That was my EXACT thought. 

Apparently after yet another debacle at Texas Tech (which caused Beard to leave for Arkansas Little Rock because he refused to be on Gillispie’s abusive staff), he landed at Ranger College, spent five years there, and took the job in Stephenville in 2020!

i remember really liking him when he was at UTEP and A&M. Even talked to him a few times when he was at high school/AAU games I was attending. 

I thought he was a can’t miss hire at Kentucky. Hahahaha...no. 

I think it’s safe to say Tarleton State will not be appearing on the Texas schedule any time soon. Chris Beard tends to talk in glowing hyperbole about peers in his profession. I have a feeling Gillispie would fall into the fewer the words the better category. 

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

By the end of that game I was straight up pulling for ACU. It sucked but it needed to happen. 

In hindsight, was he off to Marquette win or lose that game?

Recently I was told that he was gone regardless of the outcome of that game but I have my doubts.

As far as tonight I’m not really looking for anything other than outside shooting. I don’t really care about the percentage but more how good are the looks and do we look like we can make enough. Also I’m in the minority here I know but unless Cunningham has really improved during the off-season I’m hoping he plays less than last year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

There is so much to be excited about - opening game at the new arena (I am hoping it isn't wishful thinking that season ticket holders show up and that students are more lively than they were at the Arkansas exhibition), freshmen studs, Tyrese Hunter, Carr being in better shape and playing off the ball, seeing how the returning players gel in year two, etc. I think number one for me may be to see if Disu can be the player we thought he might be pre-injury. He looked more like a basketball player and less like a wobbly gazelle vs. Arkansas, so I am crossing my fingers for him!

That play where Disu stole the ball, dribbled it to the net and threw it down himself to put the finishing touch on the second half 20-0 run might have been my single favorite play of the scrimmage. 

It was interesting to me that he started, but only played 14 minutes, and didn’t have a huge impact on the box score. Bishop is the only one who received a low post entry pass, and he only got the one that I remember. 

Still, I’m with you. I have big hopes for Disu this year. 

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Recently I was told that he was gone regardless of the outcome of that game but I have my doubts.

As far as tonight I’m not really looking for anything other than outside shooting. I don’t really care about the percentage but more how good are the looks and do we look like we can make enough. Also I’m in the minority here I know but unless Cunningham has really improved during the off-season I’m hoping he plays less than last year.

I’m with you regarding the Abilene Christian loss. I’ve been told the same thing about Strong’s loss to KU. Just glad it transpired and we got Beard regardless. 

This team is not going to be better, IMO, with Cunningham playing 20+ minutes per game. Not when you look at the players he’s putting on the bench by being on the floor. But if his 3 point shot is reliable I do believe he can make a more productive impact with his minutes than he did last year. Which wasn’t bad, per se. 

I also feel like he is the team leader in some ways. His teammates look at him as the embodiment of the Texas men’s basketball culture. He IS UT for many of them. And given that he’s in a 2 year grad program with a Covid year remaining, it’s highly likely we’ll see him for another year. 

Also, if both Disu and Bishop are unavailable for whatever reason, his 5 fouls are next up in post defense regardless of how badly suited he is for it. Mitchell or Allen might be a “5” in certain circumstances to create mismatches, but Beard will prefer giving away Cunningham’s fouls in that situation to Allen and Mitchell. 

In any case, I think we have similar thoughts on Cunningham, although your’s might be harsher. Can’t tell. I certainly appreciate the perspective. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

22.5 seems light. Granted I don't know much about UTEP. 

I will be fairly disappointed if we don't cover that easily. 

I saw a 130 over, too. UTEP fans seemed convinced it would go under. I’m not too sure. 

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy alcoholic flashback, Batman.  He's still alive, and COACHING?

He was my counselor at a basketball camp back when he was still coaching in high school.  I was a sophomore in high school and I could tell he was a raging drunk within a few minutes of meeting him.  From the way he treated us for a week, I can thankfully only imagine how miserable it would be to actually play for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yep. I was pissed at the time because that team had some talent, but we're way better off now.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

That doesn't make much sense to me. We'd just won the Big 12 tournament and were a 3 seed. 

55 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Yep. I was pissed at the time because that team had some talent, but we're way better off now.

That doesn't make much sense to me. We'd just won the Big 12 tournament and were a 3 seed. 

You don’t run off a basketball coach over just one game. You have to remember that if Shaka came back last year’s team was going to be absolute trash.

Enthused to these young guys and how they mesh with the older dudes. Offensively I’m interested to see the approach. Are we going to be the typical “motion” kind of offense most teams run these days? Where you’re basically saying you’re going to out athlete, out-skill your opponent rather than out-execute them. Or will we utilize sets and body movement to help create looks for one another?
On the defensive end, will we be more full court pressure? Or moreso what we were last year, by picking up half court and trying to lock in there. If personnel allows it, i’d love to see at least a compromise. Picking up 3/4s and making it difficult fir opposing offenses (especially those squads with limited ball handlers) from getting into their offense!
I obviously havent followed the offseason additions as much as some, so i’m really kind of a blank slate when it comes to specifics but excited to see what Beard develops with another offseason under his belt!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Forgive me, I'm pre-game salty, but is this your first day on the Intertrons?

This one's not as good, and doesn't appear to be streaming yet, but it might be worth trying.

https://tv247us.com/watch/longhorn-network/

Haha. I feel you on the saltiness. I just fucking hate that we can't get LHN here so I have to get streams and it fucking sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1