UTEP@Texas 8pm LHN - Revenge...or standing ovation?

SL Xpress

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. It almost feels like we have one or two too many guys - but depth is almost never a bad thing. I trust Beard will figure it out.

Our 2nd string backcourt would start for most teams. We are light in the front court and going to need Bishop to step up. After that I guess I’ll puke and hope Cunningham can give us some minutes.

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

When Beard promoted Donewald to the assistant coach position, we hired Steve McClain after he had been fired from Georgia as an assistant to Tom Crean. His resume is complete and utterly unimpressive to me, especially compared to Donewald, but he does have a ton of experience. Last year's season at Georgia was a dumpster fire, which is why Crean was fired, of course.

There are some people that really like that hire. I’m with you I’m not sure why, but it was definitely a thing. Maybe he’s got a hot wife or a cool ranch or something.

Agreed. It almost feels like we have one or two too many guys - but depth is almost never a bad thing. I trust Beard will figure it out.

I thought the same thing. I could also see minutes being drastically different game by game based solely on the tempo Beard wants to go with.

My biggest concern is still bigs. A quality team with a good big could be our kryptonite. I don’t think we have an answer for that; at least I didn’t see one tonight.

Good first win. Hook’em.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Our 2nd string backcourt would start for most teams. We are light in the front court and going to need Bishop to step up. After that I guess I’ll puke and hope Cunningham can give us some minutes.

Your passion as an anti Cunningham guy is refreshing to me, lol. I like the guy, but I don't want to see him getting huge minutes. But now I can't help but think of you every time he's out there, whether he's making a good play or a bad one. I know there are a lot of people who don't like any critical remarks about our players, but I'm not one of them. I don't even have to agree with them. I like people who have strong opinions and show a bit of aggression. I heartily approve this personal Cunningham campaign, even if I'm not wholly on board with it.

You know the next game is basically an homage to Cunningham's jort obsession, right?

4 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I thought the same thing. I could also see minutes being drastically different game by game based solely on the tempo Beard wants to go with.

My biggest concern is still bigs. A quality team with a good big could be our kryptonite. I don’t think we have an answer for that; at least I didn’t see one tonight.

Good first win. Hook’em.

Inside we are exactly the same team we were last year, only Disu is healthy. It’s not ideal but assuming we don’t run into a Purdue again it’s not really that big a deal. I threw it out earlier during the game, but later in the year I’d love to see Hunter, Morris, Allen, Mitchell, Disu.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Your passion as an anti Cunningham guy is refreshing to me, lol. I like the guy, but I don't want to see him getting huge minutes. But now I can't help but think of you every time he's out there, whether he's making a good play or a bad one. I know there are a lot of people who don't like any critical remarks about our players, but I'm not one of them. I don't even have to agree with them. I like people who have strong opinions and show a bit of aggression. I heartily approve this personal Cunningham campaign, even if I'm not wholly on board with it.

You know the next game is basically an homage to Cunningham's jort obsession, right?

Ha. I don’t dislike the guy I’m just of the school of thought that you are taking off the court a more talented player when you put him in. I mean we put him in less than 4 minutes into the game. I about broke my tv. Yes, he “hustles”. He also gets lost on defense at times and he’s really small for where we are trying to play him. I don’t think the 47% 3 point percentage or whatever it was will repeat and I definitely don’t think it will carry over if he plays more than about 7 minutes a game. None of this is his fault. Hope he proves me wrong though because it looks like Perryman isn’t the answer for our knockdown 3 point shooter either.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The rebounding was definitely underwhelming. But it was fun. Like to see us moving up tempo and being aggressive.

Last year I think our rebounding margin was 0, so we weren’t very good either and somewhere in the middle of the pack for all D1 teams. We are more athletic this year and the players we lost shouldn’t matter so I would think it will get a little better.

Also I’m  just going to throw this out of my ass but we force a lot of bad shots which tend to lead to strange long bounces, and we definitely don’t crash the offensive glass preferring to get back in defensive position. I may be completely wrong but I don’t think you’ll ever see a Beard team be dominant on the boards.

17 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Ha. I don’t dislike the guy I’m just of the school of thought that you are taking off the court a more talented player when you put him in. I mean we put him in less than 4 minutes into the game. I about broke my tv. Yes, he “hustles”. He also gets lost on defense at times and he’s really small for where we are trying to play him. I don’t think the 47% 3 point percentage or whatever it was will repeat and I definitely don’t think it will carry over if he plays more than about 7 minutes a game. None of this is his fault. Hope he proves me wrong though because it looks like Perryman isn’t the answer for our knockdown 3 point shooter either.

The biggest thing I’ve maintained as the likeliest consistent solution to 3 point shooting issues is 3 point shooting defense. Not just percentage wise, but even just getting off shots. His defenses have been remarkably adept at challenging opponents from beyond the arc. Oftentimes to the detriment of post defense, but it is what it is. 

If you go 4-14 from the three point line - which is not good - it’s hard to get beat from there when the opponent goes 5-15, which is okay. 

I did like it that the one open shot Cunningham had he launched it immediately. A lot less hesitation from open shooters in this game than we saw last season. 

A lot less picking up the dribble, and a whole lot more attacking on the dribble drive, too. I never saw Carr look that aggressive attacking the rim last year. Hunter was of course outstanding, and Rice was very good, too. You could see Morris try when he was on the floor, but tonight wasn’t his game. He’ll be fine, though. 

We now have an actual, for real baseline for this group. Fine tune shit with Houston Christian then it’s time to bring in the war daddy, ready or not. 

21 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Last year I think our rebounding margin was 0, so we weren’t very good either and somewhere in the middle of the pack for all D1 teams. We are more athletic this year and the players we lost shouldn’t matter so I would think it will get a little better.

Also I’m  just going to throw this out of my ass but we force a lot of bad shots which tend to lead to strange long bounces, and we definitely don’t crash the offensive glass preferring to get back in defensive position. I may be completely wrong but I don’t think you’ll ever see a Beard team be dominant on the boards.

I’m completely with you. He talks about it like he values it, but you can’t value everything equally. You watch a team like TCU that creates their identity around rebounding - or Barnes’ teams, frankly.

Beard doesn’t emphasize the things you need to do to be an outstanding rebounding team. He wants to pressure the perimeter, and like you said, get back for half court D and don’t get beat by transition. Not to mention he idealizes positionless players who can switch on defense way more than being aggressive on the glass. Not that they’re mutually exclusive, but Eddie Lampkin types, for example, are not in the cards. 

We know this team will defend with the best of them, that's just Beard doing Beard things. If this team can rebound, it's going to be killer. So many of our best offensive possessions came off a rebound + quick outlet. We have three guards that can fly. That has to be our identity this year (last year too, to an extent). If teams force us into a half court game, we're going to struggle. But if we can rebound and quickly get the ball into Carr, Hunter, or Morris, we're going to be tough to beat.

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

He was bad last night and part of the reason UTEP got back into the game. I love Brock but he didn't need 11 minutes to Mitchell's 20. That's just dumb. I'm fine with Beard making DM earn his mins but in a game that's more competitive those minutes need to be going to Disu and DM. 

At one point last night i was switching back and forth between this, Manningcast, and the big east basketball on i believe FS1. Marquette and Radford was one of the games they put on. It was hilarious, the juxtaposition between the UTEP coach, who never stopped coaching his guys for a single second of that game, versus watching Shaka stand there like a fucking stooge while his dudes threw the ball around the perimeter. His body language is such trash during a game, i'm so fucking glad it isn't happening here anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ugly win, but typical first game rust. My one complaint/concern about Beard is that the subs so much, and so often. It seems like the 5 on the floor don't play long enough together to get into any rhythm... at least that's it felt watching last night. Maybe that gets better with more playing time, and maybe everyone is eventually in the same rhythm, even when they come off the bench. 

yeah they looked good, and what really stood out to me was how much confidence and fight they showed. they're integrating even more new players than Arkansas, but they performed much more admirably. after the 1-8 start from the field we went on a dominant run, and unlike Arkansas, UTEP didn't fold and quit when they got punched in the mouth. i thought that showed a lot of character for a group of guys that's still getting to know each other. 

15 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

The rebounding was definitely underwhelming. But it was fun. Like to see us moving up tempo and being aggressive.

Gerry mentioned that today. He said that due to the way Texas plays defense, they are not going to be a great rebounding team, but that it didn't matter. Tech's final 4 team had a +1.3 rebounding margin on the season, and was outrebounded from the round of 32 through the championship game.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Ugly win, but typical first game rust. My one complaint/concern about Beard is that the subs so much, and so often. It seems like the 5 on the floor don't play long enough together to get into any rhythm... at least that's it felt watching last night. Maybe that gets better with more playing time, and maybe everyone is eventually in the same rhythm, even when they come off the bench. 

I think outside of the key OOC games, he's going to be looking at these games to see what rotations work best for conference play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I thought UTEP looked pretty decent. Was it SLX that said they lost to Tech by four in a recent scrimmage? 

Doesn't shock me.  Golding wants to make it a dirty and low scoring game.  That's pretty much how he beat us at ACU, 53-52.  It started off that way too, but Beard is a much better tactician than Shaka.  

ACU under Golding only lost to Tech in 2020 by 8, 44-52.  Beard just has much better talent on this 2022 roster, so 15 point win after pulling away late.