Tucson

texasdago

In the "When in Rome" category . . . get a Sonoran hot dog at El Nene or Guero Canelo.

If you like music, Club Congress gets some good acts, but not sure what their policy is re: underage kids, etc.

I haven't been there myself, but a friend said Saguaro NP was cool.  

[csb]  When I flew back from my one trip to Tucson, Tony Hawk and Jennie Finch were on the plane. [/csb]

That's all I got.

44 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Rent a car and take the I10 west about 100 miles.

This is true. I own some rental properties around UofA and fly into Phoenix and drive down whenever necessary.

That said: Old Tucson is closed. Pima Air museum is a must. Mt Lemon highway is an anxiety inducing trip, but with some interesting hiking options if you’re adventurous. Other than that fire up the Wi-Fi for your teens to stream their favorite shows.

19 hours ago, fwtxbevo said:

U of A basketball game?

OP should seriously look into if this is a possibility. McKale Center is a great college basketball venue. It has some quirks (restrooms are on the outdoor concourse), but it is a really cool place to watch a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

"If" we go, basketball looks to be UA vs ASU so probably tough to get a ticket.  Skiing would be awesome... even if a small hill.  Also possible Arizona Bowl option just to see some average football

The students will be gone so it might not be as tough a ticket as it usually is. Also, that sucks that the students will be gone because posting up at an outdoor table at Gentle Ben's or another bar on University is a great way to pass the time watching the scenery.

21 hours ago, texasdago said:

"If" we go, basketball looks to be UA vs ASU so probably tough to get a ticket.  Skiing would be awesome... even if a small hill.  Also possible Arizona Bowl option just to see some average football

Not sure when you're going, but I go out there every few years with my wife and kids after Christmas so everyone can visit her parents. Going up to Mt. Lemmon in the cold of winter is fun, but we've been when it's snowing pretty heavily and there still isn't enough on the ground to merit the ski slope being open. I think that jaunt is worth it just for the scenery and hike, but I wouldn't count on skiing.

I've been to both Santa Fe and Tucson multiple times and find them both fun, but they're pretty different places. Tucson is by no means a big city, but it's a fucking metropolis compared to SF. 

The biggest issue I have with Tucson is the driving. There is no loop. I guess it's not big enough for that, but the end result is that everything is 15 minutes away if you're lucky. 

In any event, good parks, golf, museums, nearby scenery for hiking, and food. It's surprisingly more interesting to visit than what I gave it credit for prior to a recreational visit. I'd been there on business before, working with a customer service/call center unit of a business I was responsible for and all I'd previously noticed was the abject poverty and a burning need to get out of town immediately after the meetings that took me there.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure when you're going, but I go out there every few years with my wife and kids after Christmas so everyone can visit her parents. Going up to Mt. Lemmon in the cold of winter is fun, but we've been when it's snowing pretty heavily and there still isn't enough on the ground to merit the ski slope being open. I think that jaunt is worth it just for the scenery and hike, but I wouldn't count on skiing.

I've been to both Santa Fe and Tucson multiple times and find them both fun, but they're pretty different places. Tucson is by no means a big city, but it's a fucking metropolis compared to SF. 

The biggest issue I have with Tucson is the driving. There is no loop. I guess it's not big enough for that, but the end result is that everything is 15 minutes away if you're lucky. 

In any event, good parks, golf, museums, nearby scenery for hiking, and food. It's surprisingly more interesting to visit than what I gave it credit for prior to a recreational visit. I'd been there on business before, working with a customer service/call center unit of a business I was responsible for and all I'd previously noticed was the abject poverty and a burning need to get out of town immediately after the meetings that took me there.

Interesting... one thing SF has going for it is the compactness of the town.  That said, want to see abject poverty?  See 98.7% of New Mexico.