Jabari Rice

shadow_operative

His performances against Arky and UTEP have backed up the preseason hype. dude is silky smooth, and just looks natural on the court. he has a languid way about him. i'm never compared a UT player to a former And 1 star, but my And 1 Triple OGs will remember Aaron Owens, aka "AO". just so smooth and silky, he'll put you to sleep and then kill you. what an addition to this team. 🤘🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm glad we all tapped the brakes and waited to see what this kid is made of.

I've seen way too many 3 time all conference selection super seniors completely flame out to get too excited about a single performance in an exhibition against a program with consecutive Elite Eight finishes, or reports from so called "insiders" who have watched practices. But now that he's done it in the season opener against UTEP, I can finally grudgingly give my approval to say he might be a decent player for us this year. You all may now breathe a sigh of relief. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I've seen way too many 3 time all conference selection super seniors completely flame out to get too excited about a single performance in an exhibition against a program with consecutive Elite Eight finishes, or reports from so called "insiders" who have watched practices. But now that he's done it in the season opener against UTEP, I can finally grudgingly give my approval to say he might be a decent player for us this year. You all may now breathe a sigh of relief. 

I mean were we really sure if Lew Alcindor wasn't just all hype in 1968? I was finally won over when he was pretty good in the opening game.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean were we really sure if Lew Alcindor wasn't just all hype in 1968? I was finally won over when he was pretty good in the opening game.

You're close on the year.  Lew's sophomore year was 1966-67 with UCLA going undefeated and winning the national championship with Alcindor averaging 29 ppg.  As you recall, at that time, freshman players weren't allowed to play on the varsity until their sophomore year.  In November '65, UCLA's freshman team led by Lew Alcindor defeated the varsity team 75–60 in the first game in the new Pauley Pavilion. Alcindor scored 31 points and had 21 rebounds in that game.  That was a pretty good UCLA varsity team which was ranked #1 in the preseason.  After Lew's sophomore year, the NCAA banned dunking (for 10 years) as a way to impede his dominance.  The rule failed as UCLA won NCAA basketball championships in both his junior and senior years going 88-2 with Alcindor as a member of the varsity

26 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

You're close on the year.  Lew's sophomore year was 1966-67 with UCLA going undefeated and winning the national championship with Alcindor averaging 29 ppg.  As you recall, at that time, freshman players weren't allowed to play on the varsity until their sophomore year.  In November '65, UCLA's freshman team led by Lew Alcindor defeated the varsity team 75–60 in the first game in the new Pauley Pavilion. Alcindor scored 31 points and had 21 rebounds in that game.  That was a pretty good UCLA varsity team which was ranked #1 in the preseason.  After Lew's sophomore year, the NCAA banned dunking (for 10 years) as a way to impede his dominance.  The rule failed as UCLA won NCAA basketball championships in both his junior and senior years going 88-2 with Alcindor as a member of the varsity

Harrison, great post. One slight change. Freshmen could not play varsity but that changed, and freshmen were able to play varsity starting in 1972. Also, you are correct about dunking. It was illegal Screwed me bigtime. 

I think you’re referring to Jim Krivacs.  After the NCAA discontinued the ban on dunking during a game, they kept the ban in place during warm-ups.  UT was playing Mississippi State and a bulldog player dunked the ball while warming up which resulted in a two shot technical foul. Abe Lemons thought that so ridiculous he had Jim Krivacs shoot the technicals with his back to the basket.  He missed both shots.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Tell the youngsters the story about Abe having one of his players (can't remember which one) toss the ball over his head in protest of the rule. 

abe's first year here (maybe his first game here?) we played at mississippi state, and one of their guys dunked it during warmups, so we were awarded two technical FTs to open the game. abe hated the rule, so he had jim krivacs shoot both shots backwards. both shots were missed, Texas lost in OT, and Abe regretted nothing.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I think you’re referring to Jim Krivacs.  After the NCAA discontinued the ban on dunking during a game, they kept the ban in place during warm-ups.  UT was playing Mississippi State and a bulldog player dunked the ball while warming up which resulted in a two shot technical foul. Abe Lemons thought that so ridiculous he had Jim Krivacs shoot the technicals with his back to the basket.  He missed both shots.

This was a thing in TX high school basketball in the 90’s.  No dunking during the layup line once the refs walked onto the court.  It was a point of pride to be able to dunk the ball without actually touching the rim.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

This was a thing in TX high school basketball in the 90’s.  No dunking during the layup line once the refs walked onto the court.  It was a point of pride to be able to dunk the ball without actually touching the rim.

This is still a rule in some places. I'm trying to think where I've seen it the most recentlty though - AAU maybe? 

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

Classic Lemons move.

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Which site reported that Rice was the best player on the team in the preseason? It sounded crazy but looks like it was right. 

I think it was Gerry at IT. 

his name popped up multiple times as the most impressive player during our preseason scrimmages. gerry was definitely one of the people to mention his name during that time.

• 2 months later...

off the top of my head, is jabari no.2 on the all time one-and-done list at Texas, behind only KD? as far as college career/impact goes? i'm having a tough time remembering the last player at Texas shot was so universally loved. sucks that we only had him for one season, but man what a season it was. will always love that guy. 🤘🏼 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

off the top of my head, is jabari no.2 on the all time one-and-done list at Texas, behind only KD? as far as college career/impact goes? i'm having a tough time remembering the last player at Texas shot was so universally loved. sucks that we only had him for one season, but man what a season it was. will always love that guy. 🤘🏼 

The last one and done to win a tournament game was Joseph and Thompson I believe and that team surely provided some great moments and got fucked by the committee and the ref.  Mo was well liked all around I think but that team was pretty meh. 

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

KD’s reputation is really more for what he’s done in the NBA over Texas. I’d put Rice above him for impact, excitement and showmanship. 

Wat.  KD was incredible at Texas. Had one of the best seasons by any player at the college level.  The team was just waaaay too young to capitalize on it.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

off the top of my head, is jabari no.2 on the all time one-and-done list at Texas, behind only KD?

Interesting question. Decided to go back and do a little research. This would be my order of liking the one-and-dones:  

• Kevin Durant – 25.8 PTS, 11.1 TRB, 1.3 AST, 1.9 BLK – National PoY
  • Sir’Jabari Rice – 13.0 PTS, 3.5 TRB, 2.0 AST, 86.3 FT% – Big  12 6MoY  (Made Elite Eight)
  • Mo Bamba – 12.9 PTS, 10.5 TRB, 3.7 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, UT Blocks Record, Hit rap song  (Lost 1st Round)
  • Tristan Thompson – 13.1 PTS, 7.8 TRB, 2.4 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Lost 2nd Round to Arizona)
  • Myles Turner – 10.1 PTS, 6.5 TRB, 2.6 BLK – All-Big 12 3rd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Lost 1st Round)
  • Jarrett Allen – 13.4 PTS, 8.4 TRB, 1.5 BLK – Big-12 All-Freshman  (No NCAA Tourney)
  • Jaxson Hayes – 10.0 PTS, 5.0 TRB, 2.2 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Won NIT)
  • Corey Joseph – 10.4 PTS, 3.0 AST, 1.0 STL – Big-12 All-Freshman   (Lost 2nd Round to Arizona)
  • Ioannis Papapetrou – 8.3 PTS, 4.4 TRB, 1.2 AST – (Lost 1st Round of CBI)
  • Greg Brown – 9.3 PTS, 6.2 TRB, 1.2 3PT – Big-12 All-Freshman  (Lost 1st Round to ACU)
Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

KD’s reputation is really more for what he’s done in the NBA over Texas. I’d put Rice above him for impact, excitement and showmanship. 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

NCAA

Naismith College Player of the Year: 2007[300]

NABC Division I Player of the Year: 2007[31]

Oscar Robertson Trophy: 2007[32]

Adolph Rupp Trophy: 2007[33]

John R. Wooden Award: 2007[301]

Big 12 Player of the Year: 2007

USBWA National Freshman of the Year: 2007

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you have to admit, once KD went to the NBA and the lights came on, he really flourished.

That was really my point.  I remember thinking he was good but did not see it coming what he would be in the NBA. I was at a lot of his games and I’m not saying he is not in the pantheon of UT basketball.  This year was just unique and being in Moody it was almost like everyone was just waiting to erupt when Rice touched the ball. Him playing to the crowd, giving high fives to fans. It was just  lot of fun watching him play. Maybe it’s just fresher than my memory of KD in the Erwin Center. 

Edited by CTC2