Jabari Rice

shadow_operative

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:
9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you have to admit, once KD went to the NBA and the lights came on, he really flourished.

That was really my point.  I remember thinking he was good but did not see it coming what he would be in the NBA. I was at a lot of his games and I’m not saying he is not in the pantheon of UT basketball.  This year was just unique and being in Moody it was almost like everyone was just waiting to erupt when Rice touched the ball. Him playing to the crowd, giving high fives to fans. It was just  lot of fun watching him play. Maybe it’s just fresher than my memory of KD in the Erwin Center. 

Your point was to miss a jab aimed at one of @realgreggym's hot takes from a year ago?

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Your point was to miss a jab aimed at one of @realgreggym's hot takes from a year ago?

Braff, there was no point. I made a couple of comments about not getting too excited about what is going on in practice.  I made a comment about let's see what happens when the lights come on which is another way of meaning when the games are played. That was my comment.

The idiot t shirt fan made a comment about Rice. I never mentioned him or anyone else but when you have no clue like the idiot t shirt guy, you have to make up crap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2023 at 6:26 AM, HookEm said:

Interesting question. Decided to go back and do a little research. This would be my order of liking the one-and-dones:  

• Kevin Durant – 25.8 PTS, 11.1 TRB, 1.3 AST, 1.9 BLK – National PoY
  • Sir’Jabari Rice – 13.0 PTS, 3.5 TRB, 2.0 AST, 86.3 FT% – Big  12 6MoY  (Made Elite Eight)
  • Mo Bamba – 12.9 PTS, 10.5 TRB, 3.7 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, UT Blocks Record, Hit rap song  (Lost 1st Round)
  • Tristan Thompson – 13.1 PTS, 7.8 TRB, 2.4 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Lost 2nd Round to Arizona)
  • Myles Turner – 10.1 PTS, 6.5 TRB, 2.6 BLK – All-Big 12 3rd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Lost 1st Round)
  • Jarrett Allen – 13.4 PTS, 8.4 TRB, 1.5 BLK – Big-12 All-Freshman  (No NCAA Tourney)
  • Jaxson Hayes – 10.0 PTS, 5.0 TRB, 2.2 BLK – All-Big 12 2nd Team, Big 12 All Defense, Big 12 RoY  (Won NIT)
  • Corey Joseph – 10.4 PTS, 3.0 AST, 1.0 STL – Big-12 All-Freshman   (Lost 2nd Round to Arizona)
  • Ioannis Papapetrou – 8.3 PTS, 4.4 TRB, 1.2 AST – (Lost 1st Round of CBI)
  • Greg Brown – 9.3 PTS, 6.2 TRB, 1.2 3PT – Big-12 All-Freshman  (Lost 1st Round to ACU)

Jabari Rice and Greg Brown are 1a and 1b for me. KD might crack the next tier. [/CTC2]

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I think he can be a Dennis Schroder type player.

I love Jabari but they are two wildly different players outside of being strong at drawing fouls. Schroder is a few inches shorter with elite wingspan and footspeed whose strength on defense is as a POA defender. Rice doesn't have that speed but could end up more well-rounded offensive player.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 10:19 AM, realgreggym said:

Braff, there was no point. I made a couple of comments about not getting too excited about what is going on in practice.  I made a comment about let's see what happens when the lights come on which is another way of meaning when the games are played. That was my comment.

The idiot t shirt fan made a comment about Rice. I never mentioned him or anyone else but when you have no clue like the idiot t shirt guy, you have to make up crap.

You weren't talking about Rice at the time?  My memory may be hazy, but that doesn't jibe in my mind.

I assume you're referring to someone else with the "t-shirt fan" comment, as I can assure you I have the skin on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You weren't talking about Rice at the time?  My memory may be hazy, but that doesn't jibe in my mind.

I assume you're referring to someone else with the "t-shirt fan" comment, as I can assure you I have the skin on the wall.

I never mentioned Rice. I was talking about not getting too excited over things in practice. Little gooey is the t shirt guy that I was referring to and he brought up Rice not me. I have also mentioned ad nauseum. that we had some great T shirt fans in my day. He just isn't one of them. I wasn't referring to anyone else.

we were talking about how jabari rice had continually been reported as the standout during scrimmages and practices when greggym told us to tap the brakes because we don't know how he'll play when the lights come on. being that rice was a fifth year senior who'd already experienced regular season and tourney success, everyone here naturally pointed out that rice's ability to play wasn't a mystery. greggym has either lost his memory or is now trying to walk that back.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I have nothing to apologize for. Get a life. I mean, have a nice day.

Even by surly standards this is all incoherently rude and antagonistic. You were 100% wrong, Derka was 100% right, and he posted his receipt.  

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

+rep for proper use of "jibe". 

I didn't want to incur the wrath of @Beau Vine.

Regarding Rice:  good sleuthing of the archives, Derka.  That's exactly how I remembered it going down.  Rice was an older player with serious experience, even tournament experience, and there was absolutely no reason to believe that he couldn't be a big contributor.  And, as it turns out, he was.

13 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Feel free to believe whatever you like.

all you had to do was point out that you said, "Rice could be a huge factor this year" with a wink and a nod, and everyone here (including me) would be on your side.  take it from me- be more cheeky and less antagonistic. people respond well to that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only got to play in one summer league game - and didn't find any distilled highlights so I did my best. You'll have to skip around - he's wearing #11 with the lime sneakers.

1:14 - assist

2:08 - and-1

6:11 - triple

6:46 - either stole or almost stole the inbounds

Extra highlight:

• Hook 'Em 5

which goes to show how important team fit and team chemistry are. carr didn't shine until he was surrounded by the right guys and given the right role, plus an extra year of playing with them. and jabari basically had as good of a season as he possibly could have last year. i don't think there was another team in cbb where he would have been a better fit. the guys and system around you make such a huge difference for non-star players.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

which goes to show how important team fit and team chemistry are. carr didn't shine until he was surrounded by the right guys and given the right role, plus an extra year of playing with them. and jabari basically had as good of a season as he possibly could have last year. i don't think there was another team in cbb where he would have been a better fit. the guys and system around you make such a huge difference for non-star players.

I can mostly agree with that.  I thought Carr was pretty good the previous year too though. I still think that team could have made a decent run in the tourney.

Matchups are also important and we ran into a terrible opponent against Purdue the year before in the tourney.  And "how" a game is called can also make a big difference, even if the game is called evenly.

Basically a lot of luck is involved to win a title in basketball.  But if you keep putting out a top-10 team year after year, you will finally get one (or more).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:48 PM, shadow_operative said:

Sir, Sir'Jabari Rice is a ricing star!