[OFFICIAL DOOM THREAD]Today Democracy Dies

Fastbreak

I keep trying to talk [mention=703]Hornius Emeritus[/mention] into it. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative long -haired hippie who loves to hunt and fish. Drinks beer brewed by small Texas breweries and already has a huge social media presence that Texans love. 

True. But if he posts something even slightly controversial on FB or Twitter the crazies come out.
  • Rage+1 3

19 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

The premise and this thread aged poorly lol.

Thread title was dramatic, especially for the many of us who said this demise has been happening for quite some time while given recency appears to be accelerating.   The Dems are going to lose the house it appears.  The "hooray we didn't lose as bad as we normally would" thoughts don't really bring comfort to me.  Not that Dems ever brought complete comfort, but that's another thread.  At minimum they aren't trying to openly kill us and take away rights.  I know the evil the R's bring, that the SC is bringing to us, and if you don't think 'doomed' then perhaps you're just a more positive person than I when it comes to politics. 

Edit:  Or you inhabit that vague comfortable centrist attitude that only comes from being comfortably above it all.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Where's that chart of seats lost by the incumbent president's party in midterm elections? Isn't this going to end up a pretty "good" performance from that perspective historically speaking? 

Best since Bush in 2002. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Which was obviously aided by 9/11 togetherness. What about before that? 

Clinton 98 I guess. Picked up 5 House seats and kept the Senate the same.  For a first term midterm?  JFK only lost 4 House seats and gained Senate seats so maybe that 

Texas needs to find its Fetterman. The problem is that Texas is so geographically diverse that there's no singular guy that embodies Texas the way Fetterman is Pennsylvania.

Whoever it is has to have these four qualities:

1. Gen Z (not Gen X, sorry Beto; maybe Millennial although I think that window is closing)
  2. Working Class (not born rich, not big tech-aligned, not a major law firm person, not a small business success story; someone who punches a clock. Amazon warehouser?)
  3. Genuinely outdoorsy (no photo ops, no ridiculous gun collections, places in or wins shooting contests, has lifelong relationships with their local hunting and fishing scenes)
  4. Fighter (doesn't avoid conflict, clearly picks sides, not so concerned with popularity that it changes his views)

In terms of their politics and positions on the issues, they would need to be Fiscally Leftist (think Fetterman, who was more vocal than Beto about Medicare For All, Student Debt relief, and other no-brainer policies that have overwhelming support), Socially Progressive (think Westlake Whole Foods crowd, tolerant of and entirely comfortable with LGBT+ but not over-the-top or showy about diversity and social justice), and Policy-Wise Moderate (think Admiral McRaven, doesn't rock the boat on the fundamentals such as policing, education, transportation).

The campaign strategy would be a mix of Beto (pounding the pavement in all 254 counties, livestreaming it, shaking hands with real people), Fetterman (the world's best shitposters), and AOC (great at discussing policy via social media to Gen Z and Millennials). Move away from using Hollywood celebrities. Move away from pandering to Latinos. Move far the fuck away from nagging people on the mailing/texting list. People have learned to tune that all out.

If turn-out had not declined in 2022 from 2018's levels, I think it would have been a lot more competitive for Beto and I think he would have held WilCo, Tarrant, Nueces, and some of these other purple counties. Going forward we need long-lasting, organic GOTV strategies. I don't know what the answer to that is. Sometimes it just helps turnout when you have a psychopath in the white house fucking everything up. If you don't have that, well, you need to find newer ways to fire up the base.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

A Texas Democrat has to be a lifelong Texan and appeal to a dozen diverse rural areas and conservative ideals.

A Texas Republican from Canada by way of Harvard can throw on a cowboy hat, Astros jersey, and hold a fishing rod like a fucking moron, and know how to say Jaysus and all is good.

Sorry, guys. But it's over.

No need to thank me 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

A Texas Democrat has to be a lifelong Texan and appeal to a dozen diverse rural areas and conservative ideals.

A Texas Republican from Canada by way of Harvard can throw on a cowboy hat, Astros jersey, and hold a fishing rod like a fucking moron, and all is good.

This is extremely accurate 

Texas needs to find its Fetterman. The problem is that Texas is so geographically diverse that there's no singular guy that embodies Texas the way Fetterman is Pennsylvania.
  1. Gen Z (not Gen X, sorry Beto; maybe Millennial although I think that window is closing)
  2. Working Class (not born rich, not big tech-aligned, not a major law firm person, not a small business success story; someone who punches a clock. Amazon warehouser?)
  3. Genuinely outdoorsy (no photo ops, no ridiculous gun collections, places in or wins shooting contests, has lifelong relationships with their local hunting and fishing scenes)
  4. Fighter (doesn't avoid conflict, clearly picks sides, not so concerned with popularity that it changes his views)
In terms of their politics and positions on the issues, they would need to be Fiscally Leftist (think Fetterman, who was more vocal than Beto about Medicare For All, Student Debt relief, and other no-brainer policies that have overwhelming support), Socially Progressive (think Westlake Whole Foods crowd, tolerant of and entirely comfortable with LGBT+ but not over-the-top or showy about diversity and social justice), and Policy-Wise Moderate (think Admiral McRaven, doesn't rock the boat on the fundamentals such as policing, education, transportation).
The campaign strategy would be a mix of Beto (pounding the pavement in all 254 counties, livestreaming it, shaking hands with real people), Fetterman (the world's best shitposters), and AOC (great at discussing policy via social media to Gen Z and Millennials). Move away from using Hollywood celebrities. Move away from pandering to Latinos. Move far the fuck away from nagging people on the mailing/texting list. People have learned to tune that all out.
If turn-out had not declined in 2022 from 2018's levels, I think it would have been a lot more competitive for Beto and I think he would have held WilCo, Tarrant, Nueces, and some of these other purple counties. Going forward we need long-lasting, organic GOTV strategies. I don't know what the answer to that is. Sometimes it just helps turnout when you have a psychopath in the white house fucking everything up. If you don't have that, well, you need to find newer ways to fire up the base.
Hmmm.Me-arcwrites-Groundhogs-day-gif-love-blog.gif0c5b832c-5059-4fb1-9bb7-930cfc39f7ec_text.gif
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

A Texas Republican from Canada by way of Harvard can throw on a cowboy hat, Astros jersey, and hold a fishing rod like a fucking moron, and all is good.

But that first guy exists.  And there's a LOT of them.  He's not a unicorn.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I know you didn’t specify what office, but just based on bringing up Fetterman and Beto, whether you’re talking a state office like Governor or a US Senator, Gen Z is still half a decade away from eligibility for those.

9 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I know you didn’t specify what office, but just based on bringing up Fetterman and Beto, whether you’re talking a state office like Governor or a US Senator, Gen Z is still half a decade away from eligibility for those.

I did leave the door open a crack for millennials but definitely on the younger side. the next senate race (cornyn) would be in 2 years so probably too early for Gen Z but a 29-year-old millennial (who is currently 27) could compete. Here's the profile:

• Lost their working-class father to covid because he was forced to work in unsafe conditions
  • Lives with their surviving mother who now has long covid and can't pay her medical bills
  • Dropped out of college to support the household after their father died
  • Works in an Amazon Fulfillment Center and led a successful or nearly-successful union vote
  • Earned around 100k TikTok followers
  • Easily takes over the party apparatus after crushing career politicians in the primaries

That candidate drives up the Under-45 turnout for Ds in the general election. Beto's Floor + Overall Turnout Boost + Youth Turnout Boost = 50/50 race. Might not win outright but it would fulfill the Purple Texas prophecy.

I think this election cycle went far better than anticipated for the Democrats. I am cool with keeping the senate. Georgia just needs to make sure Warnock is their senator and not a guy that can’t count to potato.

New York’s Democrats performed, to be kind, not well. Jumaane Williams needs to be the Governor of this state at some point. He is plain spoken and makes far too much sense though. I would love to see him become a senator at some point. He correctly called out Hochul for her embarrassing comments following the election about how Democrats did here. I heard him speak at the March on Washington in August of 2020 and he’s a guy that Democrats need to be embracing as their future.

Preach. I don’t know how y’all have this conversation with a straight face.

9 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

You are the perfect encapsulation of the American snowflake right. Someone hurt my fee fees by disagreeing with my bullshit, so let’s engage in ad hominem personal attacks

Feelings hurt? Correct me if I’m misremembering, but I believe it was you stanning miss Manhattan?  I’ll agree that’s someone’s feelings definitely got hurt. 

• Fuck You 1

True. But if he posts something even slightly controversial on FB or Twitter the crazies come out.

The last time the “crazies” came out was when he gave that mealymouthed wobbly answer on abortion right after that horrid Texas Abortion Bounty Hunter law went into effect.

If he can’t clearly and without conditions support abortion and bodily autonomy then he ain’t getting that suburban women and GenZ vote that has been the margin of victory for Dems flipping voters in the last two elections.

The last time the “crazies” came out was when he gave that mealymouthed wobbly answer on abortion right after that horrid Texas Abortion Bounty Hunter law went into effect.

If he can’t clearly and without conditions support abortion and bodily autonomy then he ain’t getting that suburban women and GenZ vote that has been the margin of victory for Dems flipping voters in the last two elections.

Don’t recall seeing that on Traces of Texas.
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:27 PM, aggie08 said:

You probably could do a decent campaign painting Cruz as such and outsider/non-Texan. 

I went to UT/Baylor/A&M/Tech. He went to Princeton.
When I want to go to the beach, I go to Corpus, not Cancun.
I've been to Evadale, Kingsville, Brenham, Carthage, Atlanta, Muleshoe. Cruz can't find those on a map, much less go there.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I keep trying to talk @Hornius Emeritus into it. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative long -haired hippie who loves to hunt and fish. Drinks beer brewed by small Texas breweries and already has a huge social media presence that Texans love. 

I love him but he's too old, too rich, too out-of-touch, and nobody's really done any oppo research on him. Wouldn't be hard to lure some scorned ex out of the woodwork to trash his image.

12 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I did leave the door open a crack for millennials but definitely on the younger side. the next senate race (cornyn) would be in 2 years so probably too early for Gen Z but a 29-year-old millennial (who is currently 27) could compete. Here's the profile:

Cornyn was reelected in 2020 so his seat will not be up until 2026. Beto ran against Cruz in 2018 and that seat will be in 2 years, 2024. 

NSIAP . . . interesting essay on why American democracy is on an unchangeable trajectory to demise.  Short summary -- the electoral college, and neo-tyrannical behavior by Republicans.
I don't necessarily agree the author has it all right, but I can't disagree with most of his major points.
We're fooked

Duh. “This is what we’ve been saying” (out here on the ledge).
It’s true. All of it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And an add-on perspective: Julian Castro can eat a bag of dicks. The Castro brothers have the killer instinct of a bowl of generic chicken soup. Milquetoast Dems like them are a huge part of our problem.

a lot of longtime SA politicians sort of hate them from what i've heard. possibly due to ruthless political calculations. but i agree they should be more vocal policy-wise. i will give credit to the one who said illegal border entry should revert to the misdemeanor or civil violation or whatever minor offense it used to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...